ssh problem with internet sharing

5 posts in this topic

hi all, I have a small computer network in which one computer (running JaS 10.5.4 Leopard) is connected to the internet, and shares that connection via an ethernet switch to 2 other machines. I have ssh enabled on the server computer, but can only connect to it from a computer within the network (i.e. from a computer receiving its internet from the server, but not from elsewhere on campus). This makes me suspect that for some reason ssh is only listening on the NIC responsible for internet sharing, but I can't find any information on ssh doing anything like this. Any ideas? this one's got me stumped.

Port issue, methinks.

Try setting SSH to listen on a more trusted port. The campus network is probably blocking port 22 activity... and rightfully so.

The port you should use depends on the network. It should be common, but not as common as 80/8080 or the like.

And don't forget to specify the port at the time of the SSH connection.

thanks inimicus, I'll try that and get back, but I did just remember that I'm also having trouble with apple file sharing which I don't think the campus would block. Also, I'm able to detect other macs on my LAN with ssh enabled which leads me to believe that this is trouble with leopard (it worked in Tiger too, but that was a few months ago).

Unsure about campus networks, but AFP was blocked by my router (Linksys WRT54G and Linksys WRT160N) by default.. and this being designed for residential use.

Double check that you can even ping your computer. If you can't see your computer over the network, the remote location you are trying from may be in a different private network... or something. You might need to route differently.

Of course, this all depends on becoming familiar with how the network is set up. Try a mass port scanner... carefully... to get to know what computers live where, etc.

my school is pretty high tech, a mass port scanner would not only be noticed, but automatically tied to my IP/login and I'd probably have an email waiting for me by the time any ports were discovered. Anyhow, the computer is ping-able, and I've checked the campus network policy, and they haven't blocked any of the ports in question. I really think its something in the install, but I'm not sure what, like I said, this all worked in Tiger, but when I went to leopard it seems to have stopped (on the WAN).