netkas tutorial sloppily written, help updating to 10.5.5?

evan69

11 posts in this topic

http://netkas.org/?p=50

guys, I don't understand the way they are putting some things in this tutorial, could somebody maybe outline it for me in simpler terms? I understand the unix code but I just dont understand what he means by a couple of things, and I really wanna update to 10.5.5

I know is for 10.5.2/3 but It's been confirmed to work on 10.5.5 as well.

True, netkas can write a bit cryptic.

That being said, I can confirm this method works for 10.5.5.  For mine (see signature) and my friend's Q6600/DP35DP-based system.

Without knowing what's troubling you, it's hard to know what to clarify.

UPDATE: doesn;’t work with software update, need to have dmg/pkg.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...omboupdate.html

Download the update.

Open Terminal/Finder/etc, go to System/Library/Extensions. start installing update.

Monitor System/Library/Extensions folder, once AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext appears there - remove it immideatly.

u can use this little script for it, run as root, before starting upgrade

while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

Open terminal.  Netkas left out the "backup yer {censored}" part.  So:

cp -r /System/Library/Extensions ~/Desktop

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop

Now you're ready to prepare for install.  Prepare for install by using his "script" below:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

A blinking cursor below the line you just entered means it's working.  Let it run as so.

Now you may begin installing the update.

once update finished, press ctrl-c in terminal window, to stop script, don’t press restart !

Ctrl-C stops the script.  Don't restart.

after it, open this file in textedit - /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

find there string /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext

and replace with this string /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext or r3d3 if u use r3d3.

then save it.

Try this:

sudo nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

The line you want to replace would be near the bottom.  Use the arrow keys to get there.  On both installs, however, "Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext" wasn't there.  That's fine.  Just close without making edits.

now u can recover ur applesmbios/applehda/etc (didn;’t u forget to make backups b4 running update ?)

Replace your patched kexts from the backup on the desktop.

Usually (but depends on your system.  KNOW THY SYSTEM!): AppleSMBIOS, Audio kexts, IONetworking/IO80211Family, etc.

and finaly press restart.

WAIT!  Read the whole thing first.

on first start it will do smth, without booting to gui, then it will reboot, it can take about 3-4 mins, then it shuld boot normaly, if u didn;t forget smth.

smth = something.  It took me aaaggeeesss to figure this one out.  Basically, your machine will reboot twice so don't panic.  It may take a while.

of course it’s all for intel core 2 based cpus and intel mobos. and pc_efi.

other users can use 10.5.1 kernel/system.kext with 10.5.2 system (like amd users or pentium-d)

If you can't run vanilla, you'll need to restore your kernel.  Good thing it's sitting on your desktop.  Also remember, if you restore your kernel, you'll also have to restore System.kext.  These two must match.

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.95

sudo cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext.95

sudo cp -r ~/Desktop/Extensions/System.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Tada.

Replace your patched kexts from the backup on the desktop.

Usually (but depends on your system. KNOW THY SYSTEM!): AppleSMBIOS, Audio kexts, IONetworking/IO80211Family, etc.

could you elaborate on this a bit too, I have a ga-p35-ds3l motherboard and a q6600 processor

do I need to pick and choose my kexts to replace back into the kext folder?

THANK YOU so much for this elaboration though, you just made my day.

ps I have some very specific kexts for mine that I need for audio and video and whatnot, I have an 8800gt so its not perfect for a hackintosh, should completely copying my kexts back in work for this?

this has happened 2 times now. i did the terminal thing but before I exited , i tried to search for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext , It never showed up. the 10.5.5 updater was sitting on restart after it finished, still no . then i tried to open /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 . there was NO MENTION of dont steal mac . nothing ... i had no option but to reboot.

now its going in continous reboots :( .

This is my desktop where i tried to run update. check sig for specs. and it is iAtkos 10.5.4 :( i am totally depressed.

could you elaborate on this a bit too, I have a ga-p35-ds3l motherboard and a q6600 processor

Check the hardware compatibility list on the wiki.  I haven't memorized needed patches for all motherboards, unfortunately.

do I need to pick and choose my kexts to replace back into the kext folder?

Well.  Yeah?  I think you already knew the answer to this one, homie.

THANK YOU so much for this elaboration though, you just made my day.

ps I have some very specific kexts for mine that I need for audio and video and whatnot, I have an 8800gt so its not perfect for a hackintosh, should completely copying my kexts back in work for this?

Not completely, just the ones you need.  Which you seem to already know the ones.

For your graphics, you may need the latest NVInstaller (Google it) and EFI Studio (same download) to write the EFI strings for your graphics card to com.apple.Boot.plist.

this has happened 2 times now. i did the terminal thing but before I exited , i tried to search for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext , It never showed up.

I don't think you're reading things thoroughly.  The terminal script is to be run through the installation process.  In which case, it will AUTOMATICALLY REMOVE the kext... so of course it won't be there when you go to look for it.

the 10.5.5 updater was sitting on restart after it finished, still no . then i tried to open /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 . there was NO MENTION of dont steal mac . nothing ... i had no option but to reboot.

Did you read my post above?  If Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext isn't there, you're good.  That's fine.

As far as your issues go... boot with -v to see where your system is freaking out.  Then search the forum and find a solution.

Before you tell me "it reboots too fast, I can't see the last few lines!" I'll tell you I've been there before, too.  Get a digital camera or camcorder or iPhone or video-equipped cell phone and record the process.  Go back and review the video to see if you can catch it.  Frame by frame, if possible.

guys, my hackintosh crashed mid update. now it won't even boot.

the script was running, but it kept saying permission denied, I think it couldn't delete it.

this has happened before when installing certain things, mid install it just crashes. except this time it was an os update so it screwed it up. urgh

• 5 months later...