Revert after a failed update (10.5.5)

vfilby

3 posts in this topic

I tried to update a 10.5.4 system using the netkas method (automagically remove the CPUPowerMangement and alter the startup install scripts), but it didn't work. System continually reboots after the kext's load.

Expecting failure, I backed up my /System/Library/Extensions folder using tar.

I verified that the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is not there. There were no updates to the install script either. After letting it reboot about 20 times, I tried repairing permissions to no Avail. So I thought, I'll just restore the old kernal extensions and go from there. So I moved the new extensions to Extensions.10.5.5 and unpacked the old extensions to Extensions. System still continually reboots.

What else would I need to do to restore my system to a bootable state?

V

Intel D945 GNTLKR (Pentium D) w/GMA 950

if after entering -v bootflag it goes into darwin then as soon after when the white background would start it restarts then you have the wrong kernel if not it panics send me a screen shot and you may still be able to update

The text is scrolling by too fast for me to see. I think that this text is all the kext loading messages, it gets to a certain point and the screen shuts down and it reboots, so quickly that I can't read what is on the screen at that point.

With -x -v -f. There is no white screen, just load kexts then reboot. If I don't use any kernel flags it reboots almost instantly after the darwin boot loader boots the OS drive. There is no useful info that I have been able to gleen so far. If anyone else as had this problem and knows what the cause might be I could love to know it.