Contribute for driver development?

Would you contribute towards OS X driver development?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to pay for a programmer's services to have native OS X drivers developed?

• Yes, I would pledge up to €10
    • Yes, I would pledge up to €30
    • Yes, I would pldege more than €30
    • No, I will wait for others to pledge and get the driver for free when it's put online
    • I will not pledge, I'd rather buy supported hardware.
    • I will not pledge - this is a scam
  2. 2. Do you think the drivers should be open-sourced once the expected compensation has been met?

• Yes, definitely open-source
    • No, but it should be freely downloadable
    • No, it can be a commercial offering as long as it's inexpensive
  3. 3. Which driver would you want to see ported first?

• Intel Wireless 2200 / 3945 / 4965 (as Airport)
    • Audio drivers (ie. OSSv4 ported to CoreAudio)
    • Graphic drivers
    • nForce / VIA or other ATA/chipset drivers
    • SpeedStep (eg. AMD Cool'n'quiet), sensors or similar system drivers
    • Other drivers (post in thread)

41 posts in this topic

i mentioned this idea a bit back might have been on infinitemac or here by using bounties. Everyone who is interested pledges there money and when the job is done the coder is paid. Just look up amiga bounties or morphos bounties or aros. That way no money changes hands till job done

• 2 weeks later...
What I have noticed is that the developers making the actual end user distributions are actually getting donations but the behind the scenes developer gets very little reward. It really should be the other way around and the really talented people are being turned away because they feel like they are being exploited.

I agree; I couldnt belive when people offers 'me' donations (even if my distributions are hardly known). I wouldnt even think to take one of those offers, and always pointed out that the real devs have to get those donations. The problem is that the normal users doesnt realize of the situation. They dont know that they are running OSX thanks to people writting EFI emulators, kernels and kexts; they dont know that inside iatkos, leo4all, etc theres lots of other peoples work. Also the PPL who make the distributions dont help much since they hardly give the right credits.... The work and knowledge that takes to put up a distro is absolutely nothing compared with the what you need for doing the real dev job of coding drivers.

Anyway, I think this dev project can work. I will donate for a driver dev and I think many people will do. The fact that hasnt work in the past doesnt mean it can not work if done in a honest way...

Wouldnt be possible to release drivers with a limited evaluation time period?

• 4 weeks later...

@mercurysquad: Are you still interessted in this project? Since you don't post often here, and you removed the Link to this Topic in your Sig....just wondering.. :P

If you are still interessted, I realy would pay for the AR5007 EG, like I said before, since I also has now an Aspire One with this card :P .

There are also some news that would realy help in Developing, see THIS Tread and THIS News. So,now that the source is here, and there are also Users that can get it working with muuuch luck, but not always, it should be possible to create a Driver, right :D ? If there will be one, I will pay around 40-80 $...and maybe many AAO-Users too...so please...do it... :P

So have you started with the Audio or with Intel WIFI?

Started with Wifi (generic airport). Some code is written but it's mostly in planning stage (I do more programming on paper than in Xcode). The design allows 'plugging in' HAL for different wifi cards. I have not started Intel specifically although Intel 2200 is going to be the first one to be tested, followed by 3945 and beyond, including possibly other brands. But it is too early to claim any further.

As for audio :) You'll be surprised what another coder from Voodoo labs is bringing very soon.

Started with Wifi (generic airport). Some code is written but it's mostly in planning stage (I do more programming on paper than in Xcode). The design allows 'plugging in' HAL for different wifi cards. I have not started Intel specifically although Intel 2200 is going to be the first one to be tested, followed by 3945 and beyond, including possibly other brands. But it is too early to claim any further.

As for audio :) You'll be surprised what another coder from Voodoo labs is bringing very soon.

A new version of AppleHDA ? :)

I would definitely throw some money out there for a proper AD1988b driver!!!!

• 2 months later...