"chain boot error"

Derek C

6 posts in this topic

Long story short: I followed the guide http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-d...-windows-vista/

I had trouble with these steps:

"Now Close Disk Utility and Select Utilities -> Darwin Boot. Type Y at the prompt.

At the prompt when it asks for the Disk Number enter 0. For the Partition Number if your Leopard Partition is 2nd on the disk, then enter 2 and so on.

Accept the following prompts and you should see a success prompt saying that so many block of data were written successfully."

So I skipped them and continued the installation. Now, obviously, I get an error: "chain boot error".

Can I manually make up for this step now via the setup disc (text-based or gui)? I don't see "Darwin Boot" in Utilities so I figure there must be an alternative text command to simulate these actions.

Thanks,

Derek

Mac recognise HDD from serial 1 and not 0, you might have entered wrong disk number. Try installing Darwin Bootloader again. If you have made any changes in your windows bootloader to enable chain0 method, it wont work (certainly not for me). Darwin bootloader works fine.

Alright, well now I am able to successfully boot into Mac OS X. Thanks!

Although I am now experiencing a new lovely problem :)

After OS X boots, I see a solid blue background and then my monitor turns off. Any ideas what this is or how to fix it? I'm guessing it might be a problem with my video card configuration.

I run an Intel 965 Express.

I have no idea how to boot in safe mode to adjust resolution and such. I've never used Mac OS X before :X

Thanks,

Derek

• 5 months later...
I looked at some other threads and I've tried:

1) -x -legacy -f -v

2) -legacy -x

3) -x

All result in the same problem. Once I hit that blue background my monitor dies in seconds.

I will look into kext next. Any tips?

I had this problem when I first installed ideneb on my inspiron. Once you start it up, leave it at the black screen for 15-20 minutes. Then try moving your mouse around. If it works, go into system and then expose and spaces, set one of the corners of your monitor to wake from sleep. Restart, then move the mouse over to that corner till the monitor turns on. Hope this helps!