Kalyway 10.5.2 on Intel DP35DP (updated to 10.5.5)

HiDDeNN

17 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have an Intel DP35DP mobo running 10.5.5 perfectly (with vanilla kernel, this is the original from Apple). I use it primarily for web development, music recording (GarageBand and Logic Audio) and video editing (iMovie '08 and Final Cut).

What is not working:

- Sleep. Until everything is installed and ready, be sure to deactivate automatic sleep, because I have not get it to work :angel:

Things you will need:

- DS3L-Package by weaksauce12. You can find it in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708 (download the 58.3 MB package, this is the direct link if you don't want to search: http://rapidshare.com/files/131245992/DS3L-Package.zip.html)

- Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate. You can find it in torrent search engines.

- Apple's 10.5.4 delta update: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1054update.html

- Apple's 10.5.5 delta update: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1055update.html

- The audio drivers that I'm attaching to this post.

- A cheap Realtek network PCI card (the onboard chipset is not working yet).

Procedure:

- I personally started with AHCI disabled from BIOS. Some other interesting things could be enabling UEFI and xD technology also in BIOS.

- Boot your PC with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD in your DVD drive and enter the installation program.

- Prepare your disk with Disk Utility, with GUID partition type (you have to work this out in the partition tab).

- Press the "Customize" button and select the packages you need to install. Basically, deactivate everything except for this:

- "Kernel 9.2 vanilla" under "Kernels"

- "AppleOnboardPCATA" and "AppleGenericPCATA" under "Motherboard chipsets"

- "Lastnetkassmbios" under "Hardcoded_SMBIOS", "PCGenUSB Fix" and "TimeMachineFix" under "Other Patches"

- So, you don't need to install networking, video nor audio at this time.

- Start the installation and wait for it to restart.

- When system restarts, don't extract the DVD, because the boot loader is still not working. Just bypass the installation question, let the 4 seconds to pass... and it will boot from the hard disk.

- After the welcome animation, configure your system.

- Open terminal and type:

- sudo -s

- diskutil list

- Pay attention to the identifier of the just installed partition

- fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 (if disk is 1)

- f 2 (if the partition is 2)

- w (write changes)

- q (exit)

- Extract the DVD and reboot (when you see the waiting indicator on the screen, press the reset button of your PC, as it will not reboot automatically until we install the corresponding driver, this is called 'hard reset').

- Install 10.5.3 update, but DO NOT when it tells, just keep the window open.

- Install the 10.5.3 patch that comes in the same package (select kernel 9.3 vanilla), and now you can restart (hard reset again).

- When the darwin bootloader appears, press some key and type this: update -v

- It will boot 2 times after showing some Firewire errors. This is normal.

- When you get to the desktop again, install the 10.5.4 update, and again DO NOT reboot yet.

- In DS3L-Package install Vanilla / AppleACPIPlatform.kext with Kexthelper

- Install CHUD.pkg

- Go to your hard drive and browse to Developer > Extras > PreferencesPanes and install "Processor.prefPane" (for all users).

- Install PowerOff bug fix.

- Now you can reboot (hard reset again).

- Open "Kext files" folder and install all kext with Kexthelper (except for the bluetooth ones, as Bluetooth works perfectly for me without these drivers), and reboot (now it WILL reboot automatically).

- Activate AHCI in BIOS (if it doesn't boot once you do this, let it to IDE).

- Install the 2 kext of the audio zip I'm attaching to this post with some Kexthelper.

- Install the video driver inside DS3L-Package (NVinstaller).

- Reboot.

- Install updates from the Software Update (DO NOT install 10.5.5 updates or higher) and reboot.

- while sleep 1 ; do sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done (put your password when it asks for it).

- Install the 10.5.5 update.

- Reboot:

- I personally get a kernel panic, black screen asking to reboot with a hard reset. If you do it, it will restart 2 times in a somewhat long process.

- You will get to the desktop and you will have to reinstall again the files inside the "Kext Files" folder from the DS3L-Package, as well as the audio drivers and reboot.

- Once the system is booted, you will have to wait until Spotlight indexes everything again. Otherwise you will see that the system is less responsive...

- End! Now you have a fast and perfect Leopard 10.5.5 :)

Some screenshots... :)

DP35DP_audio.zip

post-265063-1222115149_thumb.png

post-265063-1222115367_thumb.png

post-265063-1222115375_thumb.png

post-265063-1222115383_thumb.png

post-265063-1222115407_thumb.png

Hi:

Thanks for posting your great guide. I followed it from step one and it totally works. But when I get to the part in the guide that says:

- while sleep 1 ; do sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done (put your password when it asks for it).

when I'm about to install the 10.5.5, The file i downloaded from the 10.5.5 link does not work. It says the media is damaged but I have downloaded it twice already and also checked the SHA1. My question is, how do i terminate the "while" command and revert it back?

I'm staying on 10.5.4 right now.

Thanks for your help!

My question is, how do i terminate the "while" command and revert it back?

I don't know if I understood well your question, but if you just want to terminate the 'while' command, just close the terminal window and that's it :D

There's nothing to be reverted as the file you are intending to delete with that command does not exist. So there is not any problem closing the window.

Hope it helps!

when you say:

you have a space before "AppleItntel...", if cut and pasted is written, this causes the entire Extensions folder to be deleted (which happened to me). I ended up with the same "install failed" error on 10.5.5 update as someone posted earlier. Luckily I had the extensions backed up via time machine.

I removed the space and the update went as described, Thanks for the instructions.

did the update following the above procedure..

updated from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 on dell quad core2.4ghz with 256nvidia card..

works like a charm...haven't noticed anything different though...just that the updte worked :)

• 3 weeks later...

Good thread. I have the DP35DP and am going to try this as well.

I am going to change it up just a little though. I'm going to start with iDeneb 10.5.5 and go from there. I believe it should still work as everything except lan and audio works off-bat with 10.5.5.

can i get someone to elaborate on this part :

Pay attention to the identifier of the just installed partition

- fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 (if disk is 1)

- f 2 (if the partition is 2)

- w (write changes)

- q (exit)

- Extract the DVD and reboot (when you see the waiting indicator on the screen, press the reset button of your PC, as it will not reboot automatically until we install the corresponding driver, this is called 'hard reset').

i understand that your forcing it to the partition that has the mac OSX, but the only part i dont understand is that after you quit the terminal do you restart first? and boot/extract from the dvd and then just reboot? or do you just boot into the hard drive? cause i think thats whats causing my issue currently. i'm having problems after the 10.5.3 update. the update has no problem but when i start the computer in "update -v" it continually says its waiting for a device which clearly means its either not seeing the HD i just specified or something. so if someone could help out that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

I had 10.5.4 and XP SP3 dual booting perfectly.... then I tried to update to 10.5.5 and it all fell apart.

I came across your guide and decided to format my OSX drive and start from scratch.

OK so I boot the Kaly 10.5.2 DVD, format GUID with 1 HSF+ partition, select only what you suggest in "customise" and hit install.

I wait for the reboot, and yes it does reboot while DVD still in the drive..... grey Apple screen OK but then when the blue screen is supposed

to appear I get crazy coloured squares over the complete screen (almost like a check pattern) and I can't see {censored}. I tried booting from the DVD and doing the fdisk thing

so I could get to safe mode from the HD but alas it does not work.

I have an ATI HD2900XT video card. So I tried to reinstall from scratch again but this time choosing Natit 2xxx and ATI HD2900XT but I get the same result.

Any suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot HiDDeNN for this post. I followed it step-by-step but unfortunately I just can upgrade to version 10.5.4

When I apply the 10.5.5 delta update (like this manual says) got was a disastrous kernel panic. After two unsuccessfully tentatives, I analis carefully the last instruction before the upgrade. One that reads:

- while sleep 1 ; do sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done (put your password when it asks for it).

I understood that it is an instruction with the only purpose to delete one file named AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the folder /System/Library/Extensions/ . Then, I search for this file in all my just installed system. Nothing, I haven't this file AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext .Instead, I have a folder called AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.orig Seems like that is the file just renamed, probably in another previous part of the process

I googled this AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and see that is something like a controller of the temperature of the processor. As it don't exists here, I'm asking for the community that if it is really necessary to delete the file. That is, is there? Is it hide? That absence is the reason for my kernel panics?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

joseka

You have to delete the file as it is created by the 10.5.5 update, because it is loaded as soon as it is installed, and creates the kernel panic.

I just open terminal, and monitor my Extensions folder, while running the update, at about 20% of the update, the file gets created and I type in

sudo rm-rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

And it works perfectly.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

- Install updates from the Software Update (DO NOT install 10.5.5 updates or higher) and reboot.

- Reboot:

- I personally get a kernel panic, black screen asking to reboot with a hard reset. If you do it, it will restart 2 times in a somewhat long process.

- You will get to the desktop and you will have to reinstall again the files inside the "Kext Files" folder from the DS3L-Package, as well as the audio drivers and reboot.

- Once the system is booted, you will have to wait until Spotlight indexes everything again. Otherwise you will see that the system is less responsive...

- End! Now you have a fast and perfect Leopard 10.5.5 :)

Some screenshots... :P

My system doesn't seems to find AppleIntelCPUPowerManahement.kext anymore after the update, still I am hanging at the white screen (-v shows no kernel panic). I booted single user on text mode and tried to look for this kext but no luck :D ...

Thanks for your suggestions

Update

I finally managed to get things working, here's what I did

- I found the right DFE 132 ISO for this mobo and burt it

- Set my drive configuration to AHCI in the BIOS setup

- Booted DFE and swap the disk with kalyway to boot the installer

- Installed OS X...

- Again booted with DFE CD and set my account

- Installed apple 10.5.6 combo update (Turned off sleep as it hangs up here and spoils everything)

- Force quitted installer (to avoid reboot)

- Installed chameleon with the kexts included in my DFE 132 CD

- Used diskutil list, fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX, f Y to set my active partition (X and Y being numbers I got from my diskutil list) w, then q, etc...

- Rebooted, (DFE 132 is now on my HD) used the flags -f -v

- Installed the 82566MM package, DP35 audio kexts and nvidia 9400gt kexts

- rebooted with -f -v flags

Some issues -_- :

- My HD is recognized as external and every time I try to change active partition to my file system I get a message about not being able to write the bootstrap, so MBR stays unchanged, still it seems to boot.

- Sometimes when not using -f -v I get a warning about kext file Intel82566MM.kext not being properly installed and become useless.

Everything else just seems fine

--One more thing, it seems I am unable to shut down my system, it does but immediately it would restart.. huh