Trying out new kernels?

The Hemroid

6 posts in this topic

I tried to search for some info on this before posting this, but couldn't find all of the info I needed. It would be nice if there were some stickies on the subject.

So I finally got everything up and running... and it runs pretty well thanks to tons of information found in this forum. But I have one last question.

When I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 everything was working fine (My Hackintosh detected both cores on my processor and ran at 64bit). Then I tried to upgrade to 10.5.4. Everything went wrong so I decided to do a fresh install of 10.5.4 using iDeneb.

Everything is still going smoothly but now it only detects one of my cores and it works it pretty hard when I edit HD video. It's also only 32bit now instead of 64. When I installed iDeneb the first time I tried to use the 9.4 vanilla kernel since my processor does support SSE3, but it didn't like it. So then I just used the one patched by mobin instead.

Is it possible to try out a few different kernels to try to resolve these problems? If so how do I back the old one up and restore it if needed? Can I just boot with a different kernel temporarily? Could anyone suggest a different kernel and where to download it? Is the kernel even my problem?

System Specs:

Motherboard: ECS 945P-A (v1.1) Socket 775.

Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz.

RAM: 3 gig 667

Video Card: NVidia GeForce 6200 LE (Dual monitors working thanks to Natit.kext).

Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster 5.1 - USB

Thanks!

Voodoo kernel

Well, I took your advice and downloaded Voodoo 9.4. Copied it to my root directory and booted it in verbose mode ("voodoo_beta1 -v" at boot prompt). Everything booted fine and pretty fast but it still says this in my Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel® Pentium® D CPU

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache: 512 KB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL CID CX16 TPR

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707251237 (American Megatrends Inc.)