"Error loading Operating System" tried everything. Plese help.

3 posts in this topic

Before anyone accuses me, I have spent hours googling and trying the various fixes shown on the forums here (as well as other forums).

I have used Gparted to make windows bootable. I've done the:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

i've done chkdsk /r

i've booted from the windows disk and done a boot repair. I also downloaded the files from the install CD to the system to re-install/repair windows but upon reboot i got the error message again (never actually got to install those files).

I used JaS 10.5.4 and am on a Dell Optiplex 745. I made the mistake (which probably started all of this) of installing without entering the 'customize/config' first (lesson learned...).

Right now, i'd settle for booting back into my XP. I'm really at a loss for what to do. Can anyone help me with this?

No matter what I do, it all comes back to the black screen and "failure loading operating system".

Like I said, I'll settle for just getting XP back, but if anyone has pointers for how to actually do a successful install of OSX in the future as well, that would also be appreciated B)

DB

Could perhaps not choosing any options for MBR vs GUID do this? I've tried to do as much as possible before asking the experts here at insanely mac, but now I'm hoping someone might have an answer or at least some advice that might push me in the right direction.

Thanks!

DB

• 4 weeks later...

I had same problem, just downbload gparted live cd and burn it using magic iso or other iso burning software. Boot to it and select your main windows partition and then right click and click manage flags. Click boot and restart. It says missing operating system because it isnt loading the bootloader correctly im guess and changing the booting partition to windows will allow you to boot to the windows bootloader.