10.5.5 update broke Marvell Yukon 88E8056

topprospect

12 posts in this topic

Hopefully this will help someone else. After update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 my Ethernet stopped working. In Network settings, it showed the adapter but said that the cable was "Not connected." I noticed that the AppleYukon.kext driver wasn't in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns anymore. I copied over AppleYukon.kext from a 10.5.4 machine and ran kextload AppleYukon.kext. Ethernet immediately started working. Unfortunately I have to do this after every reboot. I even deleted the 10.5.5 AppleYukon2.kext--no help.

Anyway, hopefully this might assist someone else having the same problem. If anyone has insight into a real fix, I'm interested!

Motherboard is Asus P5K-E with onboard PCIe Marvell Yukon 88E8056 (11ab:4364)

I am running iATKOS 10.5.3 on an Asus Z84J laptop with the exact same Ethernet as you, TopProspect, so I'd like to ask you for a little advice: how did you initially upgrade your 10.5.3 to 10.5.4, then 10.5.4 to 10.5.5? I ask because first I tried to upgrade 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 using the regular Mac OS X Combo Update for 10.5.4 while following netkas' method of upgrading 10.5.1 to 10.5.2, as well as 10.5.2 to 10.5.3. In that case, I couldn't boot anymore. Then on a second attempt, I tried to update 10.5.3 to 10.5.5 via Software Update, but it caused a kernel panic. Anyway, any help is appreciated, and I thank you for your time.

AsusZ84JHelp, I just followed netkas' method for the combo updates every step of the way 10.5.2->10.5.3->10.5.4->10.5.5. No boot problems and this is the first time that I've had any driver problems with the Ethernet.

raiden2k5, unless I'm mistaken, the HP530 has a Intel 82562GT 10/100 adapter. I don't know that my problem with my Marvell Yukon adapter is related to yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. Ethernet 88E8056 worked fine on 10.5.4 and broke with 10.5.5. I noticed my original AppleYukon.kext was gone, so I edited the AppleYukon2.kext (same I had done earlier on 10.5.3). However, it is not working. I tried the suggestions here with no success.

If i boot with the "-f" option, my ethernet works. If not, it won't. I've double-checked the kext and it looks correct.

Hopefully this will help someone else. After update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 my Ethernet stopped working. In Network settings, it showed the adapter but said that the cable was "Not connected." I noticed that the AppleYukon.kext driver wasn't in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns anymore. I copied over AppleYukon.kext from a 10.5.4 machine and ran kextload AppleYukon.kext. Ethernet immediately started working. Unfortunately I have to do this after every reboot. I even deleted the 10.5.5 AppleYukon2.kext--no help.

Anyway, hopefully this might assist someone else having the same problem. If anyone has insight into a real fix, I'm interested!

I have almost the same system. I copied AppleYukon.kext from a backup copy of 10.5.1 to IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins. Ran kextload AppleYukon.kext. rebooted. works perfectly

Oddly enough, it also fixed my TimeMachine Disk Not found error

• 4 weeks later...

Can you send us your IONetworkingFamily.kext?