Which version of OSX for my Dell 6400?

Retro D

3 posts in this topic

Hey there, thanks so much for entering yet another Dell 6400 based thread. I understand there are many.

Now, while I could search, trawl, pick and poke through many, many forum posts and try and find every answer to my question(s), I do think I stand a better chance of pulling this off if I ask outright.

The issue is that I have just transferred to a Multimedia course. Now, this is fantastic news to me. However, the issue is, that though I have a perfectly functioning Dell 6400 (aside from the battery.) the lecturer has suggested that it would be more beneficial for me to run a Mac. My issue is that I, being a student, lack the funds to just drop out to my nearest Apple store and pick up a MacBook on request.

I have been trying away with OSX install disks before. However, I have had less than desirable results. (The most successful one I have used has been Leo4All; trying to set up my GPU resulted in a broken OS.) Hence why I am now directly requesting assistance.

Ok, so as you may have guessed by now I would very much like to run OSX on this laptop so I can have this course go as smoothly as possible, and I can keep in mental sync between class and home. Also, to maybe stop the whining from my Apple-head photography lecturer about my Dell =)

My hardware specifications will follow, then my questions based on my Hardware:

---

Intel Core Duo T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 128MB + 128MB shared. (Hyper Memory)

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Adapter

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

Bluetooth Bus Enumerator

100GB 2,500RPM SATA HDD

2GB 633Mhz DDR2 RAM

---

I do understand that I have some 'problem' hardware for this process; namely the ATI Mobility and the Intel 3945ABG adapter.

(Should I get the OS to a fully functioning stage, I have no issues with investing in a different wireless adapter. To the best of my understanding, it is not within my technical abilities to replace the GPU in this system.)

Now, my questions are as follows:

Given my hardware configuration, which version of OSX86 would run most smoothly? (Tiger? Leopard?)

Which install disk would provide the smoothest installation? (Kalyway, Leo4All etc..)

Would it be possible to have OSX running at a reasonable speed? To rival the laptop's performance in XP, for example.

Has Dual Core functionality been worked out yet? Are there drivers which I can use for my ATi Radeon? Are there drives for my Intel 3945ABG adapter?

Thanks folks, if this goes anywhere it will truly make my day.

Hey there, thanks so much for entering yet another Dell 6400 based thread. I understand there are many.

Now, while I could search, trawl, pick and poke through many, many forum posts and try and find every answer to my question(s), I do think I stand a better chance of pulling this off if I ask outright.

The issue is that I have just transferred to a Multimedia course. Now, this is fantastic news to me. However, the issue is, that though I have a perfectly functioning Dell 6400 (aside from the battery.) the lecturer has suggested that it would be more beneficial for me to run a Mac. My issue is that I, being a student, lack the funds to just drop out to my nearest Apple store and pick up a MacBook on request.

I have been trying away with OSX install disks before. However, I have had less than desirable results. (The most successful one I have used has been Leo4All; trying to set up my GPU resulted in a broken OS.) Hence why I am now directly requesting assistance.

Ok, so as you may have guessed by now I would very much like to run OSX on this laptop so I can have this course go as smoothly as possible, and I can keep in mental sync between class and home. Also, to maybe stop the whining from my Apple-head photography lecturer about my Dell =)

My hardware specifications will follow, then my questions based on my Hardware:

---

Intel Core Duo T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 128MB + 128MB shared. (Hyper Memory)

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Adapter

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

Bluetooth Bus Enumerator

100GB 2,500RPM SATA HDD

2GB 633Mhz DDR2 RAM

---

I do understand that I have some 'problem' hardware for this process; namely the ATI Mobility and the Intel 3945ABG adapter.

(Should I get the OS to a fully functioning stage, I have no issues with investing in a different wireless adapter. To the best of my understanding, it is not within my technical abilities to replace the GPU in this system.)

Now, my questions are as follows:

Given my hardware configuration, which version of OSX86 would run most smoothly? (Tiger? Leopard?)

Which install disk would provide the smoothest installation? (Kalyway, Leo4All etc..)

Would it be possible to have OSX running at a reasonable speed? To rival the laptop's performance in XP, for example.

Has Dual Core functionality been worked out yet? Are there drivers which I can use for my ATi Radeon? Are there drives for my Intel 3945ABG adapter?

Thanks folks, if this goes anywhere it will truly make my day.

Hey!,

well erm, i have Leopard running pretty smooth on my 6400, only problem it only uses 1 of the two cores

installmethod : Kalyway 10.5.2

in bios > go to performance > multi core support > disable

install B)

hope it helps