Rebranding an AR5007EG

diogan

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

There was another thread I was posting in regarding the rebranding of my AR5007EG, but that was actually a thread for the AR5006EG. Consequently, I thought I would make a thread specific to the AR5007EG...

Anyway, I rebranded my card (168c:001c:1468:0428 "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter") as an Apple card; lspci in Ubuntu it shows up as properly rebranded (168c:001c, sub vendor 106b, sub device 004e).

When I boot into leopard, it behaves as though there is no wireless card in the computer. Dmesg reports the same HAL 13 and unsuccessful loading errors that many people get. Later today when my daughter is done with her school work on the laptop (an Acer Aspire 5315, btw), I will install PCIUtils on it and see what lspci tells me.

In the meantime though, does anyone have any ideas? I can provide other information if necessary (like EEPROM dumps and so forth).

I own an atheros AR5007EG too. But I personally believe the rebranding will not work for this card. The problem is not caused by this device ID or vendor ID. It is caused by the "Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)". Unless Apple update their wireless drivers to include the latest HAL, this card will never works under mac os.

I started to try rebranding couple weeks ago. But I now give up. I believe it will not work. But I wish you good luck!

Hi All,

There was another thread I was posting in regarding the rebranding of my AR5007EG, but that was actually a thread for the AR5006EG. Consequently, I thought I would make a thread specific to the AR5007EG...

Anyway, I rebranded my card (168c:001c:1468:0428 "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter") as an Apple card; lspci in Ubuntu it shows up as properly rebranded (168c:001c, sub vendor 106b, sub device 004e).

When I boot into leopard, it behaves as though there is no wireless card in the computer. Dmesg reports the same HAL 13 and unsuccessful loading errors that many people get. Later today when my daughter is done with her school work on the laptop (an Acer Aspire 5315, btw), I will install PCIUtils on it and see what lspci tells me.

In the meantime though, does anyone have any ideas? I can provide other information if necessary (like EEPROM dumps and so forth).

I own an atheros AR5007EG too. But I personally believe the rebranding will not work for this card. The problem is not caused by this device ID or vendor ID. It is caused by the "Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)". Unless Apple update their wireless drivers to include the latest HAL, this card will never works under mac os.

I started to try rebranding couple weeks ago. But I now give up. I believe it will not work. But I wish you good luck!

You may be right, but I'll keep playing with it anyway. I ran lspci in OSX and it shows the rebranded card, so I know that it's properly identifying the new card IDs.

Guest BuildSmart
You may be right, but I'll keep playing with it anyway. I ran lspci in OSX and it shows the rebranded card, so I know that it's properly identifying the new card IDs.
I have done several of the AR5007EG series cards, they are not all the same, firmware and firmware version seem to play an important role in these devices, the Fortinet 802.11a/b/g/g+ cards using older firmware seem to work while those using newer firmware don't.

It seems that the move to perform initialization in the HAL rather than the card is a problem since OSX expects the card to initialize itself on a reset which doesn't happen on the newer cards due to the lack of initialization routines in firmware.

As well, using 10.5.x instead of 10.4.x also seems to make a difference, success in 10.4.x for some reason seems to be not so good and this might account for the changes in the HAL used in 10.5.x as well.

I have done several of the AR5007EG series cards, they are not all the same, firmware and firmware version seem to play an important role in these devices, the Fortinet 802.11a/b/g/g+ cards using older firmware seem to work while those using newer firmware don't.

It seems that the move to perform initialization in the HAL rather than the card is a problem since OSX expects the card to initialize itself on a reset which doesn't happen on the newer cards due to the lack of initialization routines in firmware.

As well, using 10.5.x instead of 10.4.x also seems to make a difference, success in 10.4.x for some reason seems to be not so good and this might account for the changes in the HAL used in 10.5.x as well.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know off-hand what version the firmware is, but we bought the laptop this early this spring so I'm sure it probably has the newer firmware. Looks like if I want to use the card I'll be waiting until Apple includes the newer HAL implementation (it's probably too much to hope that it made it into 10.5.5).

10.5.5 did not work too. I've already upgraded to the 10.5.5 yesterday. No improvement for the atheros AR5007EG. So I believe it is our time to forget it. I am looking info to hack the BIOS so I can replace another card. Hope this will save your time

Thanks for your reply. I don't know off-hand what version the firmware is, but we bought the laptop this early this spring so I'm sure it probably has the newer firmware. Looks like if I want to use the card I'll be waiting until Apple includes the newer HAL implementation (it's probably too much to hope that it made it into 10.5.5).