External (orange) HD icons vs Internal

Charon123

13 posts in this topic

Hey,

At this moment I've got a nearly perfect working config (Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4/Q6600/ATI3870/iDeneb10.5.4+~PCwiz controlcentre). Except my HD icons are shown as External (orange). I know this has something to do with AHCI (al HD's are set as AHCI in bios, I want to leave it this way!). But it prevents me from installing programs on another partition.... Is there a workaround for this?

So, I don't bother about the icons being orange, I know I can change that cosmetically, but its about the fact I can't use a dedicated partition as Program-HD.....

TIA

Edit /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/Info.plist

After this section:

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOAHCIDevice</string>

Add this:

<key>Protocol Characteristics</key>
<dict>
<key>Physical Interconnect</key>
<string>SATA</string>
<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
<string>Internal/External</string>
</dict>

Then touch /System/Library/Extensions. Wait 20 seconds and reboot.

Edit /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/Info.plist

After this section:

Add this:

<dict>
 <string>SATA</string>
</dict>

@Dense: Hey, TIA. But, what do you mean by "touch" /System/Library/Extensions ?

(I'm gonna try this when I'm @home)

Guest BuildSmart

After this section:

Add this:

<dict>
<string>SATA</string>
</dict>

Path correction:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/Info.plist

@Dense: Hey, TIA. But, what do you mean by "touch" /System/Library/Extensions ?

(I'm gonna try this when I'm @home)

Charon123,

Dense means you execute the "touch" command. In terminal do a sudo -s, enter your password and then at the $ prompt type "touch /System/Library/Extensions" (without the quotes). Then you can reboot with your kextcache updated.

SMF

Charon123,

Dense means you execute the "touch" command. In terminal do a sudo -s, enter your password and then at the $ prompt type "touch /System/Library/Extensions" (without the quotes). Then you can reboot with your kextcache updated.

SMF

# prompt after using sudo -s because you will be root then. I always use.

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
rm -r /System/Library/Caches
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

To make sure everything is gone then when rebooting use the -f you can pass at the boot loader screen when you have used the F8 during boot to ensure that everything is reloaded and a new cache is built.

Hey,

I did the thing, but ended up in a 'waiting for root device'-error on startup.

(Got it working again without the modified IOAHCI-kext, hence after replacing the original in Vista with MacDrive).

I guess I'm a little bit of a noob with this kind of stuff......just copied the above code into the kext and 'touched' it.......

Maybe someones got a modified kext?

UPDATE:

Got something working, i.e. right icons. How: used the kexts from EP35DS4pack (AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext); touched and repaired permissions with OSX86 Tool.

BUT: Tried to install (for instance) MSOffice on Program-disk; again failure. Installer shows only System-disk as valid (no red exclamation-mark), all other drives have red exclamation mark. Clicking on it says ' You can't install MSO on this volume. This software needs OSX version 10.4.9 or higher' (...and then in Dutch). And I'm pretty sure I've got 10.5.4!!!!

So I guess I'm a few steps further (and wiser), but I haven't reached the end.....

have you noticed the path correction?

/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Yep.....

The IOAHCIFamily.kext from GA-EP35-DS4-pack already has the edited info.plist in it (checked!).

As I said, at this moment I'm looking for a clue on the 'Exclamation marks - OSX10.4.9' error.

After this section:

Add this:

<dict>
   <string>SATA</string>
  </dict>

Ok, I'm back where I started, and maybe a bit earlier.... returned to my old system (Asus P5B Deluxe, see signature). Used to work with Kalyway 10.5.2 (normal disk icons). Updated/reïnstalled 10.5.4 (iDeneb), got the orange icons. Used several IOAHCIFamily's (with the edited plists), but always ended up in 'still waiting for root device' on startup. I've used the IOAHCIfamily.kext from kalyway10.5.2, edited the original iDeneb with above code, came across this code:

<string>SATA</string>
	   <string>Internal</string>
	   <dict>
				<string>SATA</string>	
				<string>Internal</string>	
	   </dict>

...which differs slightly from the @Dense-code, (it comes from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404)

but no success

(always repaired permissions, touched extensions and rebooted with -f)

At this moment, got things working after installing iAtkos 10.5.4, copying the IOAHCIFamily/AppleAHCIPort/IOATAFamily kexts to anather partition, then reïnstall iDeneb (clean) and copy the iAtkos-kexts over the iDeneb kexts. It seems to work.

But, my question is, why didn't the other options work (different IOAHCIF....kexts from Insanelymac, manual edit, etc.)???