9 posts in this topic

I've decided that it's about time to replace my aging Powerbook. This time, rather than splashing out £1500 on a top range laptop, I'm hoping to spend less than £400 :)

I also want a laptop that is small and light that I can carry around in my school bag all day (the air would be great for this, but alas, I cannot afford it), so as you can guess, I'm looking at getting a netbook. I also would like to avoid being tethered to the wall all day, so decent battery life (>4hr) is preferred.

OS X compatibility is a bonus, but not a requirement - I'd like to use linux, ideally.

Here are the netbooks I am considering:

MSI Wind

It's the most expensive and the largest of my selection, however it does have a 10" screen, and at those sizes, ever inch counts, I suppose. It's quite expensive though at £350. Looks nice though.

HP Mini-Note

Slow, expensive but really sexy. I really like this laptop, but the battery life and CPU let it down, I think. Is it really that bad? Or is it worth waiting for an update. Same price as the MSI wind, near enough.

Acer Aspire One

I won't buy this netbook for looks or for battery life, but it is light and very cheap at less than 1kg and £250. Aparently some models have 3G modems built in, but there is no mention of this on this site. Are they built into all models? If so, it would make this one a lot more attractive.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Quite a new entry, but a very nice looking laptop. The 16gb SSD on the default UK model is good, as is the price, just £300. I quite like the looks for this one.

Anyone have these netbooks? What is your verdict on them? Can anyone recommend other netbooks, or point out something I have missed? :)

And before anyone mentions it, the Eee PC is hideous and I would never buy one :)

Exactly, and MSI has great screen (10'') so I'm happy to see that vs. other netbooks who are smaller for the screen (7'', 8.3''). And btw, stop drinking Starbuck coffee and put some money in your bank account for your MSI hahaha ^_^

I wish, it's an hour away from a starbucks where I live :)

I wish, it's an hour away from a starbucks where I live :)

Now I understand why yo put the Starbucks logo into your sig... Cause each morning, you wish you could make 5 mins walk to the Starbucks at the corner of the street. But at 1 hr near, it's a long ride for a coffee (and $$$ of gas [actually 1.49$/litre in there :(]). Haha :)