Can someone please link me to a UK site with a Wi-Fi PC card for a laptop...

AJV17

9 posts in this topic

Or even a wireless card which I can put inside the laptop, please guys. My Hackbook is nearly complete <_<

There are many options.....the key is to get a wi-fi PCMCIA card (check that your laptop has a PCMCIA or Cardbus slot) that is supported in terms of its chipset such the RealTek RTL8168.....checkout Amazon, EBuyer etc.

I have a Cardbus slot, I just want to know which card will work with OSX?

See my post...... :(......RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101

Right, it says I have a ExpressCard slot. Is there still a card I can use? The slot also supports Type 2 Card Bus I believe.

You need to check out web sites for different brand wi-fi cards e.g. at eBuyer and then Google to find out what chipset they have........

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modified for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

Also see http://www.psystar.com/realtek_r1000_driver.html

Psystar have released a modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance

the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101.

If this is the case, get hold of a Realtek chipset based PCI Netwok Card i.e. RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 chipset card....check card specs before buying....depending on the card used it may just work out of the box with the already installed drivers in OS X... :(

Thanks for your help mate.

I'm going to purchase a Dell 1390 and swap it out.

The Dell 1390 is a Broadcom 43xx chipset card AFIK.......