Install on Sata hard disk. Possible?

mitsos1os

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys, it's my first attempt to install Mac OS X on my PC. I downloaded the JAS 10.5.4 version and burned it normally. My motherboard is MSI P6N SLI-FI with the 650i chipset. My question is, is it possible by any means to install on my Sata drive? I read many topics which said about patching, booting into linux and stuff, but didn't find a clear answer. If you know a way please tell me. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Hi guys, it's my first attempt to install Mac OS X on my PC. I downloaded the JAS 10.5.4 version and burned it normally. My motherboard is MSI P6N SLI-FI with the 650i chipset. My question is, is it possible by any means to install on my Sata drive? I read many topics which said about patching, booting into linux and stuff, but didn't find a clear answer. If you know a way please tell me. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

About Jas 10.5.4 and nForce chipset MOBOs read my blog......the DVD needs to be patched....also your MSI P6N SLI-FI may have a bad bios issue.....see Kaby's BIOS mod site here.....so check if your MOBO is Platinum version.... :)

mitsos1os,

do you have an ide dvd drive?

Dont know if it helps but I have the "still waiting" with JaS too. I found that using Kalyway 10.5.2 with my MSI P35 diamond and using a SATA dvd and hdd got me past this problem.

It might not help but just though i would mention it.

Good Luck,

Dom

Hey, thanks for answering. But where is your blog so i can see the way to patch the DVD? And if i patch the dvd for the nforce chipset, will it see the Sata hard drive too?

Just go to blogs in this forum....my blog is called Tribooting........ :)

Hey verdant, i followed your blog instructions and patched the dvd, but now when i boot, the system hangs and shows this:

Mac os version:

"Not Yet Set

Kernel Version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:00 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

"

But with todays date. What's wrong?

Hey verdant, i followed your blog instructions and patched the dvd, but now when i boot, the system hangs and shows this:

Mac os version:

"Not Yet Set

Kernel Version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:00 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

"

But with todays date. What's wrong?

Before this error did you see

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:buildCPUsPSSArray - got _PSS data for cpu index 2, but expected index \
   n"@sourcecache/IOPlatformPluginFamily-312.0.1/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

or similar?

If so, The problem lies with the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin..... so reboot from the DVD typing -s at the boot: prompt and waiting for the prompt

:/ root# to appear (I had to boot -s twice and press Enter after the static cursor appeared to get the prompt; you may not need to), type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for :/ root# to re-appear:

mount -uw /
			 rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMC.kext

followed finally by exit.

"logout" will then appear on screen followed by "Jettisoning kernel linker" and the rest of the verbose booting screen, hopefully resulting in successful booting into the OS X Installer..... ^_^

If this does not work then try again with

/sbin/mount -uw /
		rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMC.kext 
			rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext 
			rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*

I would have the "waiting on root devive" problem all the time.. it's the SATA DVD drives... get yourself an IDE DVD drive and that problem will go away. Also, try booting the CD with f8 then type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" (without quotes) unless you have less than 2gigs of ram then just use "cpus=1" (without quotes)

Hi, shedox, I am afraid my motherboard doesn't support AHCI mode.

Verdant the error is exactly as you described it, but when i try to boot from the dvd with the -s flag(I just type -s nothing else), it doesn't do anything different than the -v flag. It doesn't let me type anything, it just loads and throws the same error. I didn't quite understand what you said about you having to boot -s twice.

Hi, shedox, I am afraid my motherboard doesn't support AHCI mode.

Verdant the error is exactly as you described it, but when i try to boot from the dvd with the -s flag(I just type -s nothing else), it doesn't do anything different than the -v flag. It doesn't let me type anything, it just loads and throws the same error. I didn't quite understand what you said about you having to boot -s twice.

What I mean is that if it does not enter single user mode on the first attempt, try booting from DVD again with -s at the boot prompt.......I had to boot -s twice and press Enter after the static cursor appeared to get the prompt......

Man, i tried about 15 times and it happens the same. I type -s, press enter and it hangs at the same point. I have to hard reset. I do the same again with the same results. I also tried to write "boot -s" instead of "-s" at the prompt, which after 6-7 attempts, it showed some more letters(sth about configuration) that doesn't normally show, but again it stack at the same point. Before i patch the dvd i didn't have this problem, it went all the way to "still waiting for root device"? Could be sth with the patch?

Man, i tried about 15 times and it happens the same. I type -s, press enter and it hangs at the same point. I have to hard reset. I do the same again with the same results. I also tried to write "boot -s" instead of "-s" at the prompt, which after 6-7 attempts, it showed some more letters(sth about configuration) that doesn't normally show, but again it stack at the same point. Before i patch the dvd i didn't have this problem, it went all the way to "still waiting for root device"? Could be sth with the patch?

Possibly......at no time when booting with -s did you see the ":/ root#" prompt?

no, it says "loading mach kernel" and after 2 seconds it hangs at the same point(Kernel version) I mention above. What should i do?

I want to try something out ......will get back to you........

I want to try something out ......will get back to you........

In the meantime if you have the unpatched iDeneb v1 DVD available.......can you try my iDeneb v1 Install DVD install guide Part B....?

actually i found the 1.1 version of iDeneb and i am downloading it right now. SHould i download the version 1 you say and then patch it? I thought the one i am downloading is already patched.

If you are downloading v1.1 (already patched) then download and try it .......I am hoping it was a patching problem you had with v1 of iDeneb......otherwise it may be a booting kernel problem......preventing you from booting into single user mode and even causing the freeze problem....

That is why I suggested that if you already had a v1 iDeneb DVD available you could try it without it being patched (as my Guide Part B explains) to see if it was a patch problem or is a boot kernel problem (related to BIOS settings?)

I am out for 3-4 hours......will check this thread then....... :D

I downloaded and tried the unpatched iDeneb Version, but it did exactly the same thing with JAS. I also tried to disable ACPI in BIOS, and it showed fewer things this time, but still hang, now saying can't find driver, and then the same "Mac OS version : not yet set"

So I am at your hands again. :blink:

I downloaded and tried the unpatched iDeneb Version, but it did exactly the same thing with JAS. I also tried to disable ACPI in BIOS, and it showed fewer things this time, but still hang, now saying can't find driver, and then the same "Mac OS version : not yet set"

So I am at your hands again. :blink:

I know this will take some time......but please will you confirm exactly which of the following MOBOs your MOBO is

P6N SLI

P6N SLI Platinum

P6N SLI V2

as these are the only MSI MOBOs I know of with the 650i chipset....?

My motherboard is MSI P6N SLI-FI. It's the same with P6N SLI.

I also downloaded and tried the Kalyway 10.5.2

It does the same thing, but strangely with this version, if i boot with -x it loads a lot more things than the other versions do. Eventually it hangs at the same point but now it says, Max os version : 9c1.... instead of not yet set. I tried the -s flag alone and it didn't do anything. But it worked along with -x -s. It reached a prompt, sth like "sh -3.2#"

i don't remember exactly. and I typed what you said to remove the files in AppleSMC.kext and it printed a list of files saying READ-ONLY so i am not sure if it worked.

Anyway right now, i am going to try to flash my motherboard with an older bios since its suggested in the hardware compatibility list in the wiki. I will tell you the results.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2#MSI

• 1 month later...

I finally did it. I just want to inform you guys. The problem was the new bios. I installed bios revision 2.2 on my P6N SLI-FI, and installed the ideneb patched 10.5.4 dvd, with the speedstep kernel, and nforceata test chipset drivers. It installs perfectly. I believe that enabling the network driver has a problem, because when i tried it, it installed normally, and when it asked me whether i wanted to transfer info from an other mac, it kept asking me again and again, and the next screen was about lan so, i think it's was the network's adapter fault.