Extremely Confused?!?!?! 8600M GT 512MB

Cheops

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I want to share my experience with my 8600M GT 512MB Graphics Card.

I have a laptop (ACER 7720G) 17" Display (1920x1200) Native

I am running 10.5.4 using NVinjectGo.kext (2.0c) everything works fine I can switch resolutions QE/CI works or so it says.

However when using Spaces or the Dashboard everything is choppy/laggy such as the fades and the Widgets moving on screen, this is easily fixed by putting my laptop to sleep and the awaking it, When returning to the desktop and going to Spaces or Dashboard everything is as smooth as silk no delays whatsoever, this tells me it is not working as it should and could potentially not be working correctly on other peoples machines.

I guess my questions are

1. Has anyone else seen/got this happen ?

2. Is there a fix for this?

3. If no one knows are there any possible things that could cause this?

4. Could it be related to the NVCAP values?

Any help on this really annoying problem much appreciated

Best

Ade.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing wrong with bumping a good question. It's common practice on forums. Most people don't read past the first page and good questions get lost in the process. Don't see why anyone would hate that. Although the net sure is full of haters.

In regards to the question. I have a 8600M 256mb and I do not experience that issue at all.

What other hardware are you using? Which distro? Might help others find a reason for your issue.

Nothing wrong with bumping a good question. It's common practice on forums. Most people don't read past the first page and good questions get lost in the process. Don't see why anyone would hate that. Although the net sure is full of haters.

In regards to the question. I have a 8600M 256mb and I do not experience that issue at all.

What other hardware are you using? Which distro? Might help others find a reason for your issue.

sorry guy, i just hated that i had to bump. that i had the same problem.

There are some nice drivers & tuts for the 256mb but not for the 512mb version.

The graphics are not so nice then.

If you look at the black part of the stars you'll know what i mean.

i hope somebody has a good tut for the 512 mb version.

look at my screenshot

post-306339-1253098827_thumb.png

Try this kext guys. I had the same issue now that I think about it. Couldn't get hardware accel working at all. I came across this guys kext which he had edited for for 512mb 8600m's and snagged it cause he explained how to edit for 256. To my surprise its the only kext that gets my hardware acceleration working. I edited it back to 512MB. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

Also the NVCAP on this is edited for LCD/HDMI output just so you know. You may have to adjust that in the plist if you want to get a specific output other than those working properly.

NVinjectGo.kext.zip

Try this kext guys. I had the same issue now that I think about it. Couldn't get hardware accel working at all. I came across this guys kext which he had edited for for 512mb 8600m's and snagged it cause he explained how to edit for 256. To my surprise its the only kext that gets my hardware acceleration working. I edited it back to 512MB. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

Also the NVCAP on this is edited for LCD/HDMI output just so you know. You may have to adjust that in the plist if you want to get a specific output other than those working properly.

Surrept Big Thanks!!

i had a 40GB partition for my mac wich was not enough. So i made an image with disk utility, deleted 2 partitions to make the mac partition 100GB hopefully this will be enough for the apps :).

After that, I'm gonna delete all nvidia kexts and will apply this one. But what bothers me is:

There are 2 types of connections from gfx-card to monitor; 1:DVI 2:VGA

i think the gfx-card is connected through DVI with my monitor and on the side of the laptop there is a VGA output.

Because now i have graphics which are "VGA-ish, like a converted DVI to VGA cable is used.

I know through EFI you can create a new Info.plist and there it is asking this:

How many Ram size does it have? And what type of connection: DVI / DVI, VGA / DVI or DVI / VGA

Do you have experience with this??

Surrept can you upload your info.plist of your current nvidia kext??

Big Thanks!!