help with hard drive partition

carlost

3 posts in this topic

i hope someone can help me because one of my hard drive's partitions suddenly started to act up on me. and some really important school files are still there :thumbsup_anim:

im using a hackintosh right now, 10.4.8. its an acer aspire5500z, 40gb toshiba hdd, 1.5 gb ram, intel 945gma. i doubt that any of that matters. i'm not an expert of any sort, but i dont think my hardware has anything to do with this, except for the hard drive itself :)

anyways, what happened was one time, the computer froze up so i had to do a manual shutdown. then, after restarting, i find out that my other partition (obviously not the startup disk), isn't mounting. i use disk utility to check if i can do anything about it.

i try to mount the disk from there, and the log actually says the mount of disk "x" is succesful, but the disk still isnt mounting. then i try to verify/repair the disk and the following errors come up:

-------- (Verify log)

Invalid node structure.

Invalid B-tree node size.

Invalid node structure.

The volume needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

Volume needs repair

---------

--------- (repair log)

Invalid node structure.

Invalid node structure.

Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

----------

i really hope someone knows how to deal with this :)

i haven't backed up the latest version of my thesis, and its there in that partition :)

before i decide to just wipe out the whole drive (and go back to windows.. boo), i really hope that someone has an idea on how to make this right.

thanks guys!

hey man, thanks for that link! though it failed to recover my hard drive (too much bad sectors to be safely recovered) the add-on that came with it, PhotoRec, helped me recover some of the files from the lost partition, even after i erased the whole thing.

for anyone experiencing the same problems, i suggest you do try this piece of software, and it's free :D