A Question about dual booting XP and OS X.

Brooks777

4 posts in this topic

I plan on installing OS X Leopard on a external USB hardrive and was wondering how would I select which OS to boot after the install? Say when I turn on my computer after installing Leopard, will it ask me if I would like to load XP or OS X? Do I need to download something extra?

I'm talking about something similar to when I installed Windows 2000 and XP on the same computer, it asks me right after I turn it on which one to load during a countdown of like 15 seconds or so.

Sorry for such a stupid question, but I don't wont to be stuck in Leopard forever! I have alot of important files in XP :thumbsup_anim:

Edit: Oh and which copy of OS X would you recommend for someone like me? Something easy to get started would be great. I have KalyWay 10.5.2 and in the process of downloading LawlessPPC because of its ease of use. Any others? I don't have a DVD RW yet.

OK....

Mac OS X comes with it's own boot loader called Darwin. It will automatically detect the windows partition and give you a choice of whether to open OS X or XP. Also I don't recommend installing OS X on a USB disk for the sake of performance and stability. Kalyway DVD is excellent but to be honest with you installing OS X on a PC with any DVD release is not an easy task. Preparing the hard disk and partitioning can become a nightmare in some cases, so be prepared and backup you stuff before messing with your PC.

Thank you for your reply sir. I think I'm ready to try. I have 1 more question.

Say that I'm successful installing OS X on my external, and I test it for a bit. (I just purchased a mac mini, So I'm trying to get a feel for OS X before it arrives) How would I go about completely removing all traces of OS X from my computer? I'm installing it to a external so I would not have to partition (or will I still?) and everything on my internal hardrive would be untouched. My question is, Can I just format my external and/or unplug it and my computer would just load XP like usual?

Again, I know I sound unsure about all this but I just have a few little ?'s.

Oh and can I use a DVD RW or just DVD R? :rolleyes: