HP Nc6000/Nc8000 topic

nickhe

127 posts in this topic

take tehe 5751 kext in my signature and go in system/library/extensions/

show packages of ionetworkinfamily go in contents/plugins and copy 5751 and erase 5701.kext, after that, in terminal type this (or paste, it will work and save time) :

sudo -s

cd /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

kextcache -c

exit

and after reboot

if don't work you have now to set MAC address at startup, in terminal

sudo ifconfig en (0 or 1 see the system) ether your mac adress

# renew IP

sudo ipconfig set en0 BOOTP

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP

after that both wifi and Ethernet will work

if doesn't work open jas disc and in patches see atheros.pkg and apply it

when i install 5751 via kext helper i am able to use my network card. but when i move the file over to ionetworkingfamaily /contents/plugins and delete 5701 and move over 5751 i get unable to open drive please reinstall (not sure if this is the correct saying as i am using the card now. Below is the error i get when i run the command line via terminal. Please let me know if there is something i am not doing correctly or if i am missing something. (by the way i have not done any updates. Also the blue light does not turn on i am guess it because the wireless is not installed. Pressing the button does nothing.)Thank you.

Last login: Thu Jan 15 08:28:50 on console
itoheads-hp-compaq-nc6000-dh940uaba-le-ok:~ itohead$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# cd /
bash-3.2# cd /System/Library/Extensions/
bash-3.2# ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext
bash-3.2# rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
rm: /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache: No such file or directory
bash-3.2# rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
bash-3.2# chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
bash-3.2# kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
bash-3.2# rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*
bash-3.2# kextcache -c
11IOCDBDevice is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?
kextcache: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSym8xx.kext
18IOPlatformFunction is not compatible with its superclass, 8OSObject superclass changed?
kextcache: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWClock.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleEMacClock.kext
18IOPlatformFunction is not compatible with its superclass, 8OSObject superclass changed?
kextcache: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWClock.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePulsar.kext
kextcache: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CMotionSensor.kext
11IOADBDevice is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?
kextcache: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleADBKeyboard.kext
kextcache: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOI2CPulsar.kext
Can't find superclass for 19AppleMediaBayATANub : 16AppleMacIODevice
kextcache: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMediaBay.kext
bash-3.2#

"i get unable to open drive please reinstall" don't understand what it is, which drive can't be opened ?

"Below is the error i get when i run the command line via terminal." don't worry, it's normal

"Also the blue light does not turn on i am guess it because the wireless is not installed. Pressing the button does nothing.)" look in bios if button for wireless is active

"i get unable to open drive please reinstall" don't understand what it is, which drive can't be opened ?

"Below is the error i get when i run the command line via terminal." don't worry, it's normal

"Also the blue light does not turn on i am guess it because the wireless is not installed. Pressing the button does nothing.)" look in bios if button for wireless is active

When i just move the network drivers to system/library/extensions/ show packages of ionetworkinfamily go in contents/plugins and copy 5751 and erase 5701.kext then i reboot. This is when i get "i get unable to open drive please reinstall". I check the bios for wireless and it is on. I have another hard drive and i installed windows xp on it and i was able to connect wireless to my network so i know my wireless card works. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
When i just move the network drivers to system/library/extensions/ show packages of ionetworkinfamily go in contents/plugins and copy 5751 and erase 5701.kext then i reboot. This is when i get "i get unable to open drive please reinstall". I check the bios for wireless and it is on. I have another hard drive and i installed windows xp on it and i was able to connect wireless to my network so i know my wireless card works. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks for your help.

must do the line in terminal before reboot, after the move and copy, other problem i don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I have installed OS-X on Compaq NC6000 using JAS 10.5.4 and I can boot after waiting for 15 minutes using -f -v option.

However I am stuck on two issues.

I am a completely noob to OS-X /Apple OS so please be patient with me. :(

1> I cannot for my life get the WI-FI working. I have downloaded, renamed and copied the IO80211Family.kext.zip as mentioned above. It finds access points to connect and asks for WEP key. As soon as enter the KEY and hit submit the system freezes completely. i think its kernel panic. This happens randomly on any network configuration options.

2> I cannot get the track pad or laptop keyboard working. I have downloaded the AppleACPIPS2Nub_b5.zip as mentioned above.

but I don't know how to install it, Can you please help me here

I hope someone can help me

-SamJoe

I just would like to say that you guys (gals?) are the bomb. I had such a blast doing this.

This is for any big n00bers out there who want a really detailed guide. The times listed might be longer, as I have 1.25GB ram.

Use JaS 10.5.4 http://rapidshare.com/users/22OAD3/?byfilename=1

(or do a torrent search)

Wait 5-15Mins

Utilities

Disk Utility

Create one partition and name whatever.

Select OPTIONS and select "Master Boot Record"

"Apply"

"Partiton"

Close Disk Utility with red dot.

"Continue"

"Continue"

"CUSTOMIZE"

SELECT ONLY (other than already selected):

Kernel Packages:

StageXNU

Audio Drivers:

AC97Audio

Device Identification

Atheros Wireless Adapter

Intel ICH and PIIX Controller

"Done"

"Install"

You can skip the Disk Check if you want...

Installation takes about 25 Mins

Allow to Reboot.

Upon Seeing BootScreen, eject Disc and put aside.

Enter Boot options -v and -f (make sure they are for the hard-drive!)

First boot takes a long time... at least 15-20 Mins. Wait till the video shows!

Go through Setup with USB MOUSE AND KEYBOARD.

Select "Different Netowrk Setup" when it asks for wireless info.

Select "my computer does not connect to the internet"

Continue through.

First: install the OSX86 Tools (install kexts and fix permissions): http://######.com/osx86tools/

Install the Cardbus kext: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmemw0u0jjm

Install the Apple PS2 kext: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?znmtzq0jytu

Finally install the Broadcom kext (DO NOT INSTALL WITH OSX86 TOOLS): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=33777

(extract and copy to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns and delete the 5701 kext)

Reboot with -x (safe mode)

"Reset Permissions" in OSX86 Tools

Reboot

Open Network Preferences Click OK in new devices prompt and then Hit APPLY before turning on AirPort.

Install Video kexts: Found internally from http://rapidshare.com/files/18697090/10.4....ity.tar.gz.html

Reboot

Enable OpenGL with OSx86Tools

Fix Mouse Tearing with http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=40&p=89236

ENJOY.

Wifi works

Ethernet works

Bluetooth works

EVERYTHING! :)

I should note that I am running an NC6000. I also cannot get higher than 1024x768 res, but I am going to try http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...x.php/t367.html in a few days. Might work?

I am also not including the battery bit, as the first time I tried it it crashed me out. :D Just do a test one day at home of average use, and go by that.

HOW_TO_HACKINTOSH_NC6000.pdf

grafic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...829&hl=9600 use 1280x1024 for less problems with the screen dont install the Frameworks they dont work just the kext

I am just curious as to the steps you took to get to this resolution. The native res on the NC6000 screen is 1024x768, which I cannot increase. I tried http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...x.php/t367.html but it did not work.

Guys can you try this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148156

Should fix the battery icon issue

has anyone tried this and got it to work? Tutorial please?!

I tried it once and I had to reformat. I have my laptop working the way I want it, its just the CPU speed slows way down, and so does the clock when on battery power. If this is a fix I would like to know how it works.

I have installed OS-X on Compaq NC6000 using JAS 10.5.4 and I can boot after waiting for 15 minutes using -f -v option.

I am a completely noob to OS-X /Apple OS so please be patient with me. :)

1> I cannot for my life get the WI-FI working. I have downloaded, renamed and copied the IO80211Family.kext.zip as mentioned above. It finds access points to connect and asks for WEP key. As soon as enter the KEY and hit submit the system freezes completely. i think its kernel panic. This happens randomly on any network configuration options.

2> I cannot get the track pad or laptop keyboard working. I have downloaded the AppleACPIPS2Nub_b5.zip as mentioned above.

-SamJoe

Hi SamJoe

Check out my post above and follow that process. It works for me every time. Use the files that I link to in there as well.

Also, I just got another NC6000 second hand to set up, and for some reason the nub/trackpad wouldn't work... I was getting quite frustrated... until I took off the keyboard and realized the dingbat before me had disconnected the trackpad ;). Sometimes its as simple as that.

Another tip for anyone interested:

Using the VooDoo kernel, I noticed that if I have a super weak Wifi connection I would get a KP either on boot or when turning airport on. Frustrating, but all I had to do was move to a better location, and all is well.

Thanks evan_phi

actually I resolved keyboard issue and wifi is also working but still not completely. the AppleBCM5751 did not work for me instead i extracted the IO8Family.kext from 10.4.8 update and applied it.

I have two problems now:

1> It does not show Airport as on & connected. So every time I start, I have to open N/W settings -> assist me -> turn Airport on -> select my router and save. (even after this it never shows that wifi is connected on title bar. However I can access the N/W without issues).

2> The Fan is always running at full throttle and Laptop gets quite hot making it almost unsuable as a lap top. I have disabled Speedstep and "Fan on Ac Power" from BIOS. I know that this is not an issue hardware issue because in WINXP the fan runs intermittently and laptop is does not get hot at all even when running for extrended periods.

I also noticed that the IO80211Family.kext.zip mentioned in the first post does not seem to be a valid kext file. I tried to unzip it /rename it as suggested, without any success. it does not have a folder structure similar to other kexts.

can someone post a working kext or confirm my finding.

Compaq%20NC8000.jpgnotesniki11.jpg

NC6000 NC8000

these laptops are one of the best hackingtosh it has an SSE2 prossesor , Ati mobilty 9600 64/128mb ac97 audio and firewire

everything works exept the grafics of leopard no qe/ci becouse ati was to lazy to devolep and i couldn't get the battery to be recongized reason is that the PC thinks it has 2 battery bays maybe an older bios can fix this need someone to try

i recomend the JaS 10.5.4 install disc with StageXnu kernel or the Boot-132 with this topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...23841&st=80

install guide from Yana209:

2-Installed OSx86:

a- Erased the drive using disk utility

b- customized the installation and chose only: StageXNU, AC97 Audio, ICH and PIIX controller, Artheros Wireless adapter (All thanks to Nick14).

c- Installation took around 25 minutes.

d-Rebooted the computer

e- choose the options -v -f

f- booting took 10 minutes to finish and then the all awaited welcome video started :-D

the wifi fix :IO80211Family.kext.zip just remove the zip from it name and it will ask if you want it as zip or Kext and choose kext

Audio:AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip this just need to unpack

grafic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...829&hl=9600 use 1280x1024 for less problems with the screen dont install the Frameworks they dont work just the kext

cardbus:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

Internal Broadcom :AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip Just extract it and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns and delete the 5701 kext else you wont get a mac adress

keyboard and mouse : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry811362

I am a completely noob to OS-X /Apple OS so please be patient with me. :)

-SamJoe

I am just curious as to the steps you took to get to this resolution. The native res on the NC6000 screen is 1024x768, which I cannot increase. I tried http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...x.php/t367.html but it did not work.

NC6000 has 2 types of screens 1024X768 and 1400X1050 Which resolution do you have in windows as max is the same as in OSX

Thanks evan_phi

actually I resolved keyboard issue and wifi is also working but still not completely. the AppleBCM5751 did not work for me instead i extracted the IO8Family.kext from 10.4.8 update and applied it.

I have two problems now:

1> It does not show Airport as on & connected. So every time I start, I have to open N/W settings -> assist me -> turn Airport on -> select my router and save. (even after this it never shows that wifi is connected on title bar. However I can access the N/W without issues).

2> The Fan is always running at full throttle and Laptop gets quite hot making it almost unsuable as a lap top. I have disabled Speedstep and "Fan on Ac Power" from BIOS. I know that this is not an issue hardware issue because in WINXP the fan runs intermittently and laptop is does not get hot at all even when running for extrended periods.

I also noticed that the IO80211Family.kext.zip mentioned in the first post does not seem to be a valid kext file. I tried to unzip it /rename it as suggested, without any success. it does not have a folder structure similar to other kexts.

can someone post a working kext or confirm my finding.

3. I noticed that to and Nickhe Told me it was a Problem with OSX When it's compressing the file

• 1 month later...

HI all. I have HP nc8000 and want install retail DVD Leopard with boot-132. Could you help me with that? I'm dont understand what type of boot-132 needed. From this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288 or i have "pre core" processor and must try this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123841 ? Sorry for my english. ;)

I'm use Ubuntu now, and can post here result of Lspci if it needed. Thanks.

Hello,

I came across this site and since I have an HP NC8000, decided I would give the JAS OSx86 10.5.4 OSx install disc a try. I installed this to my HP that already had Ubuntu 8.10 installed so it seems this configuration was a little bit different from others who have posted in this section. In any case, after booting with the JAS 10.5.4 install disc, I went through the installation and selected the appropriate install options for this PC:

Kernel Packages:

StageXNU

Audio Drivers:

AC97Audio

Device Identification

Atheros Wireless Adapter

Intel ICH and PIIX Controller

However, after rebooting from the OSx install, I cannot get OSx to load and no GRUB boot menu option was created by the JAS install disc. Here is the output of my fdisk (listing partitions and filetypes): (sudo fdisk -l)

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 1 2231 17920476 83 Linux

/dev/sda2 * 2232 9729 60227685 5 Extended

/dev/sda5 * 2232 4162 15510694+ af Unknown

/dev/sda6 4163 4445 2273166 82 Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/sda7 4446 9729 42443698+ 83 Linux

/dev/sda5 is the partition that OSx was installed to and it is under the /dev/sda2 Extended partition. Will installing OSx to this partition be a problem? Also, I tried to create another partition (using Gparted Live CD) under /dev/sda1 but no matter what filetype I created this partition in, the JAS OSx86 install disc would not install to this partition).

So now my NC8000 boots Ubuntu without issue but my mac OSx partition is not accessible and will not boot during startup. Any ideas for how to fix this? I have searched around A LOT for users that have installed OS X in this manner but none have had this problem apparently (most likely because they installed OS X on a clean system without WinXP/Vista/Ubuntu.

Also, I did some research and created the following entry in my /boot/grub/menu.lst to create a Mac OS X boot entry in GRUB:

title MacOSX

root (hd0,1)

chainloader --force +1

When I try to select this entry from the GRUB menu, I get a "Loading stage 1...@#$@%" and then the system hangs. When I change the root (hd0,1) to root(hd0,2), I get a lot of hard drive activity and then a "Loading stage 2..." and the system hangs.

Please help!

J

• 3 weeks later...

So far, great guide. I'm following it pretty well, but I can't get past the initial setup. I'm at the screen after the welcome video asking if I want to transfer any info from another mac I might have. I select not to, and when I hit continue, it just freezes up on me. Been letting it sit like this for almost a half hour now, and it's still just doing nothing. Mouse won't move, keyboard does nothing, don't know what to do. Anyone? I've repeated this process several times now.. still no luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
So far, great guide. I'm following it pretty well, but I can't get past the initial setup. I'm at the screen after the welcome video asking if I want to transfer any info from another mac I might have. I select not to, and when I hit continue, it just freezes up on me. Been letting it sit like this for almost a half hour now, and it's still just doing nothing. Mouse won't move, keyboard does nothing, don't know what to do. Anyone? I've repeated this process several times now.. still no luck.

thx for the guide, yes they're great

just tell to mac that you've not internet and you can go far, don't try use wifi even if yours is detected or you will have bug, run all the patch and ethernet/terminal, and after it's ok

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm quite happy cause i found this dedicated thread for HP NC series.

I own a NC8230, which is slighty different from the NC8000:

Portable Business HP/Compaq NC 8230:

Intel Pentium M 750 / 1.86 GHz

RAM: 1gb

ATI Mobility Radeon X600 - PCI Express x16

AC '97, Sound Blaster Pro

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

A part from the graphic card, i hope i will be able to run mac osx on this notebook. But i don't know which version to choose... I was looking for the JaS 10.5.4. Am i alright?

I had thesame problem .. but when I turn the WIRELESS adapter off (in the BIOS), it worked for me .. He didn't freeze anymore.. don't turn the wireless back on until you have the kext installed .. If you do, you get a kernel panic :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi All,

I have managed to install JaS 10.5.4 perfectly on my NC6000. It's got 1.5GB of RAM, a 1400x1050x32 display and a 40GB disk.

I've installed it on an external, self-powered 500GB USB disk. Now that I am satisfied with the external USB, I'd like to move that configuration onto the internal disk and then begin work on Snow Kitty.

However, after doing the complete disk clone to my internal 40GB, the boot gets as far as telling me it is loading iTunes and then it pauses and reboots. This is an exact replica of the external USB.

From my experience with Solaris, I believe this has something to do with the image still thinking it is on a disk with a certain device ID or GUID or something like that. Is there an easy way to modify the installation on my 40GB disk to make it work properly? I believe that may be the case.

Short of that, I'll just have to reinstall on the internal and rsync --delete my Extensions directory over, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Also, is it worth it to run the old backup.sh/restore.sh scripts for doing the Tiger 10.4.11 upgrade with JaS 10.4.8? Will those work and allow me to do an Apple update to 10.5.8?

Finally, has anyone put Snow Kitteh on this thing or am I meowing up the wrong scratching post? Seems I might have some issues with the ATI Radeon and probably with IDE disks but those can be fixed with extensions.

As an aside, I haven't had this much fun since my summer at Northwestern University playing with Mac IIcx'es back in the late 1980s... I think I was about 12.

Some of you may know me as the maintainer of the Solaris 10 package for Basilisk II. I have pretty much abandoned that effort...

• 1 month later...