HP Nc6000/Nc8000 topic

nickhe

127 posts in this topic

OK, I "solved" the WiFi problem - it was the power saver that was putting it into slepp mode after 20 minutes. Of course the sleep is one thing that isn't working yet so it wasn't obvious.

Advice to others - switch off the disk sleep mode as well...

Using Callisto I have the following, can't yet get higher that 1024x768 though:

Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP:

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4e50

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

the problem is your video memory

Hi all,

I have done a installation of jas 10.5.4 like it was in the first post, but after the apple logo for the OS I get a gray background and a mouse pointer ( exactly like the one in the installation but this one is only movable with a usb mouse ).

I have a NC 6000, 160GB, 768MB ddr. Installed jas on a logical partition -- so no boot only if I have the dvd in the drive ( can't boot with -v -f )

Any ideas ?

You need USB mouse and Keyboard at first then use kext helper and read and install these kext

Hi All

After a few days I now have a 99% functional HP NC6000

I basically followed the instructions in this thread but had a lot of problems with the WiFi - it showed up OK but as soon as I tried to connect to my router I would get a kernel panic.

The mistake I was making was that I didn't bother installing the Broadcom etherner, I had tried editing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file but it made no difference. Days of forum reading and swapping all kinds of kext versions mostly ended up having to do a re-installation due to kernel panic at boot. Installing the ethernet solved the WiFi as well, I'm not sure exactly why as the Atheros is on en0 and Broadcom en1, but it works.

I haven't done anything special with the graphics - it's on default (whatever that is) with a little bit of mouse-tearing, but that's OK for the moment, I can play in future. The worst thing is that I haven't got the ALT-GR key functional and that means I can't get an "at" sign (Belgian keyboard you see), this will need fixing.

I have a "bog standard" NC6000 with a built-in Atheros XG5001X+

The correct route for me:

Install using JaS 10.5.4 - in fact I used the Rapidshare link above (thanks Nick14) as the torrent was too slow. I had previously tried Kalyway and IPC with no success at all.

Use the installation options mentioned in the OP: Stage XNU, AC97, Atheros, ICH PIIX

Takes about 20 minutes to get to the installation language choice, then about 70 minutes to the video and setup. First boot then take about 20 minutes because the cardbus drivers are missing.

Of course you need a USB keyboard and mouse for the first time.

Several kexts need to be installed - you can do these all in one shot then reboot at the end

Firstly install the OSX86 Tools - you can use this to install kexts and fix permissions avoiding a lot of terminal work: http://######.com/osx86tools/

Install the Cardbus kext (thanks chun nan), this will drop your boot time from 20 minutes to about 30 seconds: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n1zjmmyzzmn

Install the Apple PS2 kext (again thanks chun nan), this will get the laptop keyboard and trackpad up and running: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?znmtzq0jytu

Finally install the Broadcom kext: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=33777

Then reboot, all should work...

What I did not have to change was the Atheros, AC97 or keyboard/mouse kexts, these worked out of the box

I'm no expert, I've only followed the hard work of the real brains in this and other threads, but I'll be glad to help anyone else if I can.

And yes, this post was written wirelessly on the nc6000 in Leopard 10.5.4 :)

Really thanks to YOU!

Dave

Sry but I don't get into the operating system .... the gray screen is all that I see ... even if i leave it for 50min. ( with a usb keyboard and a usb mouse ). I didn't got the welcome video neither do I see anything else. Only this gray background and a mouse pointer. This was the problem. I have moved to ubuntu again to make my windows partition work ( using grub boot loader ).

If I try to start leo without the dvd in the bay I get a error message saying: "boot0 : error". -- this problem may be the use of a logical partition and not a primary one.

P.S. I have tried to boot with/without usb mouse and keyboard ... got tho the same point -- the gray screen. ( this is after 10 to 12min )

P.S.#2 I'm new to osX - never used it in my life.

Any new hint with?

the problem is your video memory

Not sure about that - now I've installed another driver (from an Italian thread here), "ATI_9600_C003_AGP.zip" and I see this:

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4e50

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

I've also installed the 10.4.8 ATI package with the 10.5.1 X1000 tweak.

However, I still don't see any higher resolutions. Actually, when installing the Callisto in the 9a321 update I saw three resolutions available, but all lower than 1024. Maybe now I have the AGP recognised I shall try that Callisto again.

It's not an exact science is it :thumbsup_anim:

Fun though!

Interesting, with this set:

"3) Patched ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and - ATIRadeonGA.plugin (IONDVRFrameBuffer -> CallistoFB)"

I get Quartz Extreme 'Not Supported'. If I leave the original setting I get the QE supported by experience all sorts of mouse tearing.

And whatever I do I cannot seem to get a better resolution on my laptop screen, I wonder if it's a physical limit...

I'm also forced to use -f on boot or I get a kernel panic...

I switched speedstep on in the BIOS and it didn't crash

For you WiFi, in what way isn't it working? Do you see the indicator in the top left? Are you able to switch the WiFi on? Do you see networks etc?

It does not recognize the airport at all. I cant access it from menu bar or from network preferences. The bottom of my NC6000 States intel 2200b/g how do i get the wifi to work?

Interesting, with this set:

"3) Patched ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and - ATIRadeonGA.plugin (IONDVRFrameBuffer -> CallistoFB)"

I get Quartz Extreme 'Not Supported'. If I leave the original setting I get the QE supported by experience all sorts of mouse tearing.

And whatever I do I cannot seem to get a better resolution on my laptop screen, I wonder if it's a physical limit...

QE is good and With or with out the kext you will get mouse tearing but with lesser res it will decrese

QE is good and With or with out the kext you will get mouse tearing but with lesser res it will decrese

Well if I understand mouse tearing then it's artifacts left by the mouse pointer (mainly blue and grey squares) when you move around on the desktop? If that's the case I don't get them at all with QE off but am plagued by them with QE on.

I had some problems booting this morning and reverted to a backup kext set. I just installed on top of this the ATI 9600 AGP driver and have a fine display. I'm so stupid though, I was trying to get my display higher than 1024 but in fact that's the limit on the laptop :hysterical:

Now the display kexts was nothing to do with the boot problems, that's because it was on battery, strange.

Has anyone mabaged to get sleep working, that's the thing I'd really like up and running?

Nick14

You mention higher in the thread to change the kernel to Voodoo, for better performance etc.

How does one do this? I see a kernel loader in OSXTools but I would have thought it would crash the system bearing in mind that we had to install with StageXNU.

Forgive my ignorance, I used to be a Unix whizz kid in the 1990's but forgot nearly everything in the meantime :2cents:

Final question (I think), any way to get the battery meter working? I saw some thread somewhere talking about changing a BIOS kext but I can't relocate.

Cheers!

The battery meator wont work beouse the bios is tellling the OS that we have 2 batteries in all OS:s if Slice can help use it would be great

voodoo kernel has an installer so no problem changing to there kernel

hello Nick14, have you try to update to 10.5.6 ? i read somewhere that compatibilty with 10.5.6 will be again with it.

i can't boot after update 10.5.6, always kernel at boot, acpi problem, but which ? i try iPC disrib but not !

other thing, i try with efi string to pass the mac adress problem of 5751 but not !

for qe/ci

berteso and nick method doesn't work for me, i try again

To enable QE I had to install a driver ATI_9600_C003_AGP.pkg to get QE supported, I got the file from a thread in the Italian section of the forum but don't have the link to hand - try some searching.

For wireless note that WEP and WPA2 works OK but not WPA - WPA2 is using the AED encryption algorithm. Took me a while to figure this one out :)

And don't try booting on battery power, does't work for me - it boots but the wireless is not found, don't have any idea on that one yet.

I installed 10.5.5 and it runs very good even bluetooth works. the only problem i got is that my wifi is not detected

Can someone please HELP! or send me the right kext or something

i have a standard nc6000 with the athos wifi i think

take tehe 5751 kext in my signature and go in system/library/extensions/

show packages of ionetworkinfamily go in contents/plugins and copy 5751 and erase 5701.kext, after that, in terminal type this (or paste, it will work and save time) :

sudo -s

cd /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

kextcache -c

exit

and after reboot

if don't work you have now to set MAC address at startup, in terminal

sudo ifconfig en (0 or 1 see the system) ether your mac adress

# renew IP

sudo ipconfig set en0 BOOTP

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP

after that both wifi and ethernet will work

if doesn't work open jas disc and in patches see atheros.pkg and apply it

[quote name='Nick14' date='Jan 7 2009, 10:59 AM' post='1030301'

the 10.5.6 update works on the NC6000

ok, do you know which method you or your brother apply ?

because i've a stop in the boot, in verbose it was before acpi

i've the pci v9, patched DSDT.aml, voodoo kernel 9.5, mkext and com.apple.boot.plist in extra

the string for my ethernet card in com.apple.boot does'nt work, i must set mac and bootp and dhcp