Compaq C776CA Success

gmcfarla

16 posts in this topic

So i've successfully installed osx86 on my compaq C776CA. Here's a step by step.

Using iAtkos V4i:

Follow these instructions:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&start=400#

Then install a.zip kext package from the Compaq C714NR Post above.

Special thanks to kennyp and everyone else that contributed to the Compaq C714NR post.

Works:

Both Cores, Trackpad, Volume buttons, Ethernet, Display(1280x800) with Full QE/CI, DVD writer, USB, power management (battery indicator), Audio, Shutdown/Restart.

Not working:

Wireless (am going to switch out the card with a HP 407159-001(Broadcom Chipset)), Sleep (CPU Fan will not run once awake)

Not Yet Tested:

Card Reader, VGA and S-Video Out.

Note: During install you will need an external usb mouse and keyboard, that is until the a.zip kext package has been installed.

Edit: Currently FutureShop in Canada has these on for $599, not a bad deal IMO.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...S_hbad_t1_s1-EN

Laptop Specs:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF...74-3756148.html

ok so i followed the instructions and now i am writing this from my new Compaqintosh :D however my trackpad and keyboard doesnt work, i cant seem to install the a.zip file is there any instructions on how to install it? i am a complete noob to osx and have no idea how to install :)

also i wanted to ask which a.zip file is it? cause there seems to be quite a few in the thread... and i tired one it didnt do anything for my trackpad and keyboard... so like i dont know what to do next? how did you get the keyboard and the trackpad to work porperly?

thanks a lot for your help, i played around with a bunch of a.zip files from that thread and finally got the trackpad to work fine although my keyboard is slightly wierd, like the apple key is always pressed by default, kind of cause i made the expose shortcut apple key and f10 but all i have to do is hit f10 and my esc key goes to front row although its suppose to be apple key and esc ... but thats only when i am on the desktop while in applications it works allrite ... is yours the same way? also is that hp wireless card usb or internal? cause if its usb i'll get it too, i need wireless :D

So the internal wireless pci-e card works!!!! I did end up having to copy my IO80211Family.kext from my other kalyway installed pc/mac. I expect that the iAtkos v4i with the broadcom selection would have worked but I figured I'd try using the kext that I already had with broadcom support using kexthelper. Note: I had to press the wireless switch to turn it on. I haven't restarted yet so not sure whether it needs to be pressed on every boot or not.

Hope this helps.

doubt it. You can always put the stock one back in. It's pretty easy to switch out all you need to do is remove the ram/mini pci cover(2 screws), then remove the two screws holding the wireless card down and then disconnect the antenna wires(remember which one goes where). Installation is opposite of removal.

You had any luck upgrading to 10.5.5? I tried it but ran into issues. Ended up re-installing and haven't attempted since.

yea i have massive problems too, its very wierd, if i start my laptop with the power cable plugged in my mouse pad doesnt work, same if i have any usb things plugged in. So i have to start with nothing plugged in. But even then there are problems, so i think i will downgrade too.

• 3 months later...

hi! i have these few problems, if anybody knoes the fix direct me:

1. dvd drive doesnt recognize the cd...

2. i think my laptop fan is working overtime...

3. headphones dont work...

4. graphics i think are a little washed out... did u guys install a kext 4 that? if u did where can i find it

5. Where does it show the battery??? (a.zip had that powerbudle thing i installed it, what did that do?)

Other than that everything works, I love my compaq c776, thanks to everybody who made the kexts. I am happy that the wireless, and sound works. Till now what I did is a.zip, azalia sound, IO80211 kext(wireless). Please do tell any suggestions or kexts you have to make my mac better.

Don't ignore the post above me its still unanswered.

• 3 months later...