September 9th Apple Event

~pcwiz

24 posts in this topic

Well its pretty well been confirmed that there is gonna be an Apple event on September 9, and a refresh of the iPod Nano and some minor changes to the iPod Touch, and possibly even a new version of iTunes (iTunes 8.0) and the much anticipated Mac OS X 10.5.5 update which is estimated to fix 129 bugs from 10.5.4. Start with the iPod Nano. It looks like Apple is taking design advice from cheap chinese knockoffs as posted on the iPod Touch Fans forum. Check out this picture of the cheap chinese iPod clones (pic from ipodtouchfans):

9207.png

Now take a look at what are supposed to be legit pictures of the upcoming nano (pics from Engadget):

ipod_nano_4g_spy2.jpgnew-nano.jpg

Notice any similarities? The new iPod looks like cheap junk. Back to the long form factor of the previous generation nanos. :) Next onto the iPod touch. None of the changes to the touch seem like they are anything to talk about, you can't even be sure that they will make any changes to the iPod. Some "2.1" firmware is also speculated but Apple would never make any big hardware changes to the iPod touch at this time, because the iPhone 3G was just released and it uses the same hardware as the touch. What are your thoughts?

Better late than never but hopefully - hopefully - Apple will show the vision to catch up with the many small form factor PCs that are coming out form Dell and elsewhere. If they leave the woefully out-of-date MacMini as is, I can't think it would do much good to the value of their shares on the stock market. Whatever the case, they need to vocally create an excited expectation of powerful new Mac Mini's to come. Dells offering is hugely overpriced, without or without bits of bamboo stuck on it. Will the new iTouch really be little more than a cost cutting exercise?

Are you guys feeling it in the air that Apple have something pretty exciting up their sleeve, or they have turned too much of their attention to the iPhone?

how do you know those are the real ones

I dont think they look cheap...

Its been said that they are real from sources like Engadget and many others. I just don't get why apple would want to go from the long form factor to the one we have now, and in the 4G go back to that long form factor again.

Are you guys feeling it in the air that Apple have something pretty exciting up their sleeve

The holiday season is coming, retail sales in general across the board are way down, so yes they need to do something to generate some buzz and get people in those Apple stores. My understanding is that the Touch will will now include 2.0, cost less and have at least twice the capacity. Time to get my wallet out :blink:

Its been said that they are real from sources like Engadget and many others. I just don't get why apple would want to go from the long form factor to the one we have now, and in the 4G go back to that long form factor again.

It makes more sense to fit a 16:9/:10 screen on a tall device than making a space-consuming choad device.

Think of it as the click wheel on the side vs below the screen.

And who cares if previous gens shared a similar footprint?  Is that your basis of your "it looks cheap" accessment?

It makes more sense to fit a 16:9/:10 screen on a tall device than making a space-consuming choad device.

Think of it as the click wheel on the side vs below the screen.

And who cares if previous gens shared a similar footprint?  Is that your basis of your "it looks cheap" accessment?

Man, check the pics of those cheap chinese clones and compare them with the new iPod. The only difference in the look is that the real iPod has the glossy screen and the curved surface. Honestly, glossy screen, orange color, and long form factor? To me that's pretty cheap but your opinions may vary.

Man, check the pics of those cheap chinese clones and compare them with the new iPod. The only difference in the look is that the real iPod has the glossy screen and the curved surface. Honestly, glossy screen, orange color, and long form factor? To me that's pretty cheap but your opinions may vary.

I just want to know what the point is of the curved screen surface to begin with. Wonder if it's supposed to have some sort of 'magnifying' effect on the screen? Sounds like it'll be guaranteed to magnify glare, that's for sure.

All I want is iPhone firmware 2.1, and all I want from that is for the current bugs to be fixed. I don't even want any new features, just fix all the introduced problems. This really isn't asking a whole lot. I honestly believe firmware 1.1.4 was better than 2.0.

And what's retarded is that they can't blame it on the app store, either, except maybe for the problems the DRM might have caused (and look at how effective that DRM is! Wowee!) because developers had all sorts of higher-quality-than-appstore apps available for aeons before 2.0.

I want it so my new 3G phone can type at the speed of a normal phone. Seriously. I want it so mail doesn't randomly reset my phone every once in a while. I wish my 3G could run 1.1.4 :(

I have been waiting since I was two feet tall for someone to bring out a complete home entertainment system that you could wear on your wrist and film an Imax movie with. Don't talk lens optics at me! If the iTouch comes out with a 2 megapixel stills camera on it, I will scream!

Everyone says to me, if you want a camcorder, buy a camcorder! Perhaps, then, I finally have to give in to those flat earthers... but only if Apple, etc, put the features of an iPhone onto the body of a camcorder. It's not the way around that I wanted but it's better than blinking nothing or carrying several blobs of pastic rather than one. I am beyond caring whether it will fit on my wrist or in my shirt. Waist jacket pocket would be okay. That and a foldable palm keyboard and I would be set. Then I can leave home and my horrid job and dissapear into the wilderness. Oh, and it would need solar cells and a satellite dish on it. Oh, come on, the body of it can be covered in solar cells. As for the satellite dish... I could have an invertible hat.

Or just a cheaper iTouch with 3G. Sheesh.

And - screw the flat earthers - if you could give it fur so it was your pet - solar fur - and it went off and did the shopping and the cooking for you.

Sony, are you reading this?

UPDATE:

iTunes 8 is coming out today. A ton of new stuff in it! Who-hoo! ;)

Watch full HD TV shows on your Mac now!

Discontinuing the thick iPod classic...

Nano gets accelerometer just like the iPhone and Touch.

Thinnest iPod ever!

Voice Recording program built-in (thank you Steve) :)

New iPods's are going green and have arsenic-free glass, BFR-free, Mercury-free and are PVC-free. LOTS of new great colors too.

New in-ear headphones that have a separate woofer and tweeter in each side. Will help you to go deaf quicker :P

New iPod Touch has 2.1 software. YES! :thumbsup_anim:

Big disapointment for the Touch - still nothing bigger than 32 Gb :rolleyes::(

Backing up to iTunes is now going to be MUCH faster. Many new performance enhancements also.

All models drop by around 100.00.

New iPod Touch can be seen here. Comes with new musical Genius feature.

New iPod Nano can be seen here.

I guess the design works, but its such an unbelievably uncreative product...

It really looks as though Apple's slowly running out of ideas lol

The nano before this release was actually quite good. The new ones now look like {censored}, i'm sorry but i'm a apple fanboy but i really hate this design

not that it matters to me because i have an iphone but still

I am still waiting for an iPhone update where one could insert a memory stick for added storage or at least 32gb iPhone

I am still waiting for an iPhone update where one could insert a memory stick for added storage

You can forget about that. Remember that Apple is constantly finding ways to make you buy the same product over and over again, and one of the best ways to do that is to slowly increase the iPhone's storage. With a card slot, there's one less reason to upgrade.