Out of the box perfect installation on Shuttle GS31G2

chefkenny

6 posts in this topic

Just want to share this with everybody.

I still own a mac mini but just not fast enough to run photoshop, and I don't want to buy a imac for $xxxx.oo ( I already have a beautiful 24" dell lcd ).

So just do a lot of homework and finally bought a Shuttle SG31G2 with a C2Q 6600 and 2X2GB CORSAIR DDR2 800, a Liteon 20X ide dvd burner, a XFX 8600GT and a seagate 320 sata hard drive. Of cause a Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd.

Just disable the floppy and printer port in the bios, don't touch anything.

Boot the distro,format the hard drive used GUID. After that click Vanina Kernel 9.2, and you can pick what ever any software, very important part here don't use Nvinject( you can not change the resolution ), you have to use Natit gfnvida for the VGA card. Wait for the installation, it took about 12-15 mins. Also I used apple keyboard and mouse.

After restart, the sound,lan and Vga all work out of the box ( you have to change to the second dvi port to make the resolution change work ).

Mic in not tested,you need to update to Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and the kernel to 9.3 then the firewire will work. After 10.5.3 update you can go ahead to use apple update to 10.5.4,no problem at all.

I think this is very very close to perfect installation, only mic in not tested and no need kert hack.

Good luck everybody who need a affortable hackintosh.

yeah,chefkenny...congratulations!

i also want to share my experience having a hackintosh, especially on my favorite processor...AMD. thanx to zephyroth and eddie11c for their efforts,thoughts and helps. i manage to get the installation runs smoothly without having "still waiting for root device" probs...it needs some efforts and patience to install,and finally...i use it as my daily hack.manage to use it with my 3G device (thanx to sierrawireless) for surfing the Internet,even typing Arabic for my work! i use also VMWare (Parallel Desktop cannot be used coz it detected not an Intel machine) to run XP Pro for any work that incompatible with Mac. so, i'm planning to get the 2nd system using Intel system for my workplace at school.

so,as chefkenny...good luck everybody who need an affordable Hackintosh.

(sorry my bad English... ;) )

Hi, just find out shut down,restart , sleep and time machine all works good. Very happy with the speed, way fastest than my CD Mac mini and my new Macbook. Now I am looking to sell my Mac mini :( .

Also find a copy of 10.5.5 update from the bay but no luck for installation, so please wait for something that comes up later.I am thinking to put a WD Raptor on it.Never know hackintosh is this easy ( year ago my Gigabyte p965-ds3 is another perfect hackintosh for tiger, after that I go for MAC and never look back. Just because can't afford a real high end Mac, and this project save me a lot of money.)

Hi, just install my dual net card ( MSI, wireless g and bluetooth ) use the driver from Ralink - 25xx pci; both wireless and bluetooth work perfect. I can pair with Apple mouse, motorola HT820 and S9 headphone and they all work good. So far all software work good, I also use idvd to convert avi movies to dvd and come out excellent.

Well my logitech quickcam ultra is working ( mic also ), the mic on my bluetooth headphone also working if u chose the headset profile. The only thing I am looking is a optical in/out upgrade for shuttle xpc ( part number PC17 ) but they don't make it anymore, so I can not test if the optical in/out works or not.

Another update, I changed the XFX 8600 GT 256 to PNY 8800 GT 512 and it works perfectly and everything works as well. In the begining I think the 250watt power supply don't have enough juice to power a 8800gt but I took the chance and it works.