Two Hackmacs with q6600 CPUs and Logic Node

starobrno1

7 posts in this topic

Got two Hacks and I want to run one of them as a Logic node but it does´nt work for some reason. Networking is ok I can connect the two to eachother no problems, can even have both connected to the internet at the same time but no Logic Node. Can this be a Hackmac related problem does anybody know? I´m running Retail Leo on both computers and a leagal copy of Logic Studio, Logic node is up running on the node computer before I start up Logic on the host just like it says in the manual.

i think hacks have problems with load sharing computation over the network. I think this is the reason why when this is enabled with FCP, the program simply crashes. I've tried it with cinema4D as well, that too doesn't work. not sure about logic but my best guess is that the same thing happen not sure why though

Thanks for the reply, man that sounds bad cause one of the reasons I built my second quadcore hack was that I wanted to use it for FC to reduce cpu load on the host hack. Got to investigate this some more got to be a way around it. If I remember right it works for a "real" mac and a hack I thinkI tried it with Logic node and my Mac Mini networking my old hack and I´m pretty sure it worked but it´s almoast a year ago. Can post your specs?

My hacks:

GA p35-ds3r

q6600

ga 9800gt 512 mb pcie

4 gig 800mhz

sata2 drive

GA ep45-ds3

q6600

ga 7300 256 mb pcie

4 gig 800mhz

sata2 drive

I had it working fine on an earlier setup under Tiger..since i switched to a new system and had to give my second system to my daughter i cant test it anymore here..only got a MacBook and a Q6600 now..thats not ideal.

I remember i once had to Hack the Node Application so it doesnt check the system specs, CPU+Computer

forgot to ask if u turned on "Apple Events" in the Sharing prefs Tab?

edit@ i just checked and configed my Macbook as Master and the Q6600 as NODE and it works just fine (8.02) 10.5.4 on both

Hacks don´t have problem with noding. Logic 8 has problem. Noding worked better in Logic 7. If you know the features of the Node protocol you soon understand it is totally waste of computers to use it. You can only node Logics own AU instruments, no Massive, No Nexus. In theory you can node 3 party AU effects but in practice no 3 party AU will work on the Node machine. Overclock your Logic Q6600 instead and use you other machine to run Windows only plugins, for example reverbs and cool synths.

Thanks FC long time no see. Well I totally left windows behind me and Logic effects works good enough for me at this point. I built this other q6600 hack more or less for fun cause I had so much leftover hardware sitting on the shelf. One more reason was that I also wanted to check out Final Cut and as I understand it has a similar function so the plan was to put together a cheap but powerfull system for both video and music.

Seems the network Logic node stuff works one out of five or so at least on q6600 cpu based hacks running them as a Logic node to another hack it´s a waist of money. The few times I got it to work it gave me about 6 more tracks from the 24-26 I could run on one of them (overklocked to 3 Ghz) in the first place. Heck that´s about what my old Asus P4P800SE rig could deliver when I run it as a Logic node to my Mac Mini. Gonna check out if I get the same "score" with Final Cut and if that´s the case I´ll give it to my son in law as a birthday gift cause if not for the node stuff I have no use for another hack.