make Kismac working

Le-Bebop

3 posts in this topic

Hi !

I ahve a fine working P5W-DH with the RTL8187L wifi driver also working (thx Kalyway). But is it possible to make Kismac working on this Mobo. Because there not available Airport hardware, kismac can not connect to the wifi.

- Is it possible to make it works with this hardware (i thinck no).. but may be..

- wich kind of card have I to add to my Mobo to be able to use Kismac??

Thanks..

And what about the P5W-DH Remote?? not driver still available??....

Guest BuildSmart
Hi !

I ahve a fine working P5W-DH with the RTL8187L wifi driver also working (thx Kalyway). But is it possible to make Kismac working on this Mobo. Because there not available Airport hardware, kismac can not connect to the wifi.

- Is it possible to make it works with this hardware (i thinck no).. but may be..

- wich kind of card have I to add to my Mobo to be able to use Kismac??

Thanks..

And what about the P5W-DH Remote?? not driver still available??....

I don't believe kismac supports USB devices, I believe it supports PCCard, PCI, PCIe, miniPCI and miniPCIe wireless adapters.

I recommend you stick to supported hardware like the Broadcom and Atheros based cards.

Acceptable adapters, some may require ID modification to obtain proper support.

If you're cheap, hit ebay and buy a used broadcom based 54G PCI adapter that has a supported chipset (range from $5.00-$35.00).

If you want almost N support you can buy the D-Link DWA-547, D-Link DWA-552, LinkSYS WMP300N or Bufallo Technology WLI-PCI-G300N (range from $70.00-$120.00).

If you want almost N support in a PCIe adapter then you have the D-Link DWA-556 (range from $75.00-$100.00).

If you want an adapter requiring no modifications, wont break on software update and is essentially an Apple AirPort Extreme device then you have the following options.

If you want a guaranteed N support in a PCIe adapter then you have the DWALSH DWB-270N (cost $140.00).

If you want a guaranteed N support in a PCIe stealth (you cannot tell that wireless is installed) adapter then you have the DWALSH DWA-300N (cost $170.00).

NOTE:

almost N support means you have a card that supports 802.11n however the card due to the lack of 5ghz support will only allow a connection speed of 130mbps in Mac OS X.

If you want a higher connection speed then you need to spend the money to buy a better card.

If you need support for TM or TC then you will need a natively recognized and supported AirPort device (modifying the Info.plist to make it work isn't enough).

You can also go with Ralink based cards, some are supported in Mac OS X, they will never be recognized, function or supported like a real Apple AirPort device.