Installing GeForce 8600GTS drivers on Kalyway 10.5.2

Artmuzz

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have browsed the HCL 10.5.2 page and it tells me that the Geforce 8600GTS card works great on Kalyway 10.5.2

The only thing is that it gives me instructions of what to do to get it working as I can only get the 8600GTS working on 1024x768 resolution.

The instructions is as follows but I don't have a clue in what I should do. Please help

Install in order, and clear kextcache / repair permissions after each step:

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 -> NVInstaller v.41 -> Erase and change Device IDs (GeForce.kext, NVDANV##Hal.kext, NVDAResman.ext, NVinject.kext) to "040010de".

Two question I would be delighted in getting answered are..

1. How do I clear kextcache / repair permissions?

2. How do I erase and change Device IDs to "040010de"?

Also would it be possible to have dual display working on my Geforce 8600GTS on Kalyway 10.5.2?

Please advise :hysterical:

Artmuzz

Hey Artmuzz,

As far as changing permissions, I usually loaded the Disk Utility and clicked on the drive on the left, then found the button that says Repair Permissions.

To change the Device IDs, you would right-click Show Package Contents on the folders specified above such as NVinject.kext, and drill into the folder until you see the info.plist. Open the Info.plist in Textmate, and after making a backup of these directories to somewhere like your desktop, proceed to find the line <key>IOPCIMatch</key>, change the string <string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff</string> to read <string>0x040010de&0x0000ffff</string> and then save. Do the same changes to the specified files. Make sure you clear the kextcache and repair permissions before restarting.

I've had my EVGA 8600GTS 256MB work after this, showing the Quartz Extreme and Core Image as supported. My problem now is that sometimes it boots up as not supported at times and the screen gets shown in pieces until the whole screen is refreshed. I hope someone can share if they have the same problem. I'm guessing maybe that I bought a cheap 450W PSU and is not supplying enough power during boot up to register that QE/CI is supported. That's just a guess though.

I have the same 8600GTS card. I used NVinstaller+v.52.pkg to install. It was painless, I didn't have to do anything else, Just reboot and worked right the way. QE,CI enabled OK.

Only problem is I can't change resolution, it hung to blue screen. But that doesn't matter, I don't change it anyway.

pax1234, you must be one lucky guy because that did not happen for me. It even says so in the wiki for the Components for this card.

In other news, it seems like my problem is after seeing the Apple Logo boot, then no signal, but before the desktop appears, my vidcard fan stops and then restarts when the desktop shows. When it starts, it sometimes shows a black screen with parts of the launchbar shown, or until i refresh the whole screen - meaning no QE supported. At other times, it starts and when you try to go to System Prefs or About this Mac, immediately, the menu bar on top gets a bit more translucent than usual and stays that way. Even though it launches with QE, most programs like Imovie or system prefs, it crashes on me. So I have to restart and boot with -f to clear my kextcache. I don't know why, but everytime I boot with -f, it works. Anyone experiencing this?

My Geforce 8600GTS card installs perfect on Kalyway 10.5.2. I get full CI and QE support and dual display :)

Only problem is that I can only get the maximun resolution of 1280x800 and when I select that maximum resolution the desktop doesn't fit the screen - I get 2 black bars at each end of the screen :(

Artmuzz

I have the same 8600GTS card. I used NVinstaller+v.52.pkg to install. It was painless, I didn't have to do anything else, Just reboot and worked right the way. QE,CI enabled OK.

Only problem is I can't change resolution, it hung to blue screen. But that doesn't matter, I don't change it anyway.

AH! Kinda light blue screen ?

If it is, ur gfxcard has 2 dvi outputs ? - plug into the other one when it goes blue and u may get a nice suprize :D

Kepp it in that one if it does.

My Geforce 8600GTS card installs perfect on Kalyway 10.5.2. I get full CI and QE support and dual display :)

Only problem is that I can only get the maximun resolution of 1280x800 and when I select that maximum resolution the desktop doesn't fit the screen - I get 2 black bars at each end of the screen ;)

Artmuzz

Hey Artmuzz, the problem I encounter is when I upgrade to 10.5.4, you lose your QE/CI. At least that's what the forums have said. I was reading an 8800 GT and they had the same problem that I had, but looked much worse. So borrowed from their playbook - Boot with a -f, because you need to clear the kextcache. It gets corrupt. So I got OSX Tools and told it to launch with a -f all the time. and so now it works. Now I just got this Error 35 in the logs, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth fixing.

• 11 months later...
Hi,

I have browsed the HCL 10.5.2 page and it tells me that the Geforce 8600GTS card works great on Kalyway 10.5.2

The only thing is that it gives me instructions of what to do to get it working as I can only get the 8600GTS working on 1024x768 resolution.

The instructions is as follows but I don't have a clue in what I should do. Please help

Install in order, and clear kextcache / repair permissions after each step:

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 -> NVInstaller v.41 -> Erase and change Device IDs (GeForce.kext, NVDANV##Hal.kext, NVDAResman.ext, NVinject.kext) to "040010de".

Two question I would be delighted in getting answered are..

1. How do I clear kextcache / repair permissions?

2. How do I erase and change Device IDs to "040010de"?

Also would it be possible to have dual display working on my Geforce 8600GTS on Kalyway 10.5.2?

Please advise :D

Artmuzz

did u ever got it to work? have the same card,same res,help?