About to smash up my skulltrail system.

bradholland

2 posts in this topic

Lord give me strength!!!.... deep breath.

Ok guys, ive buit a pretty sweet system here.

Intel Skulltrail mainboard

seagate barracuda 500gb sata

2x intel xeon quads @ 2.6 (i think)

8gb of fb-dimms 667mhz

a few different gfx cards.

OK it seems no matter what i do i cant get the system to boot.

I have tried working with kalyway 10.5.2, and the jas 10.5.4 (both of which work fine on my badaxe2 system)

when i talk from here now im talking about jas 10.5.4 with nvkush, or the included ati driver bundled with the disc.

I have disabled pretty much everything onboard, lan, sound etc as this is for music production use only.

so a lot of the drivers i shouldnt have to worry about.

I can get the system to install, but always get kernal panics with the nvidia driver, now i have tried reinstalling with different video cards with different degrees of success.

THe cards I have are nvida7600gs, nvidia 7900gs, nvidia 8600gt, ati hd2600pro (all pcie)

now i can install and run mac os fine on my core2duo badaxe2 system so i know it cant be an incompatibility with the gfx cards.

if i use the ati card i get a black screen on bootup, and even if i try to start in safe boot i get a black screen.

with the nvidia cards i just get a kernal panic as i said with the driver.

i have seen a few people on the board have successful setups but not documenting much of what drivers they used, kernels etc.

does anyone have this board and could they tell me what drivers, patches they used to just get the system working??

any help i can get here is totally appreciated.

Brad

Lord give me strength!!!.... deep breath.

Ok guys, ive buit a pretty sweet system here.

Intel Skulltrail mainboard

seagate barracuda 500gb sata

2x intel xeon quads @ 2.6 (i think)

8gb of fb-dimms 667mhz

a few different gfx cards.

OK it seems no matter what i do i cant get the system to boot.

I have tried working with kalyway 10.5.2, and the jas 10.5.4 (both of which work fine on my badaxe2 system)

when i talk from here now im talking about jas 10.5.4 with nvkush, or the included ati driver bundled with the disc.

I have disabled pretty much everything onboard, lan, sound etc as this is for music production use only.

so a lot of the drivers i shouldnt have to worry about.

I can get the system to install, but always get kernal panics with the nvidia driver, now i have tried reinstalling with different video cards with different degrees of success.

THe cards I have are nvida7600gs, nvidia 7900gs, nvidia 8600gt, ati hd2600pro (all pcie)

now i can install and run mac os fine on my core2duo badaxe2 system so i know it cant be an incompatibility with the gfx cards.

if i use the ati card i get a black screen on bootup, and even if i try to start in safe boot i get a black screen.

with the nvidia cards i just get a kernal panic as i said with the driver.

i have seen a few people on the board have successful setups but not documenting much of what drivers they used, kernels etc.

does anyone have this board and could they tell me what drivers, patches they used to just get the system working??

any help i can get here is totally appreciated.

Brad

What boot up error messages are you getting when booting with -v....?

Does it boot with no video driver kext installed from "Customize" ?....

On the required restart by the installer DVDafter installation, booting up with -v -f (generally recommended after installation) may fail with a kernel panic depending on your nVidia graphics card model; hence my initially installing without any graphics driver selected (see below) :

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.GeForce(5.2.4)@0x7fab3000->0x7fb39fff

dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(5.2.4)@0x7f873000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.5)@0x7f865000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x77a36000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.5.1)@0x7f849000

com.apple.NVDAResman(5.2.4)@0x7f873000->0x7fab2fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.5)@0x7f865000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x77a36000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.5.1)@0x7f849000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

9C7010

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386

This kernel panic points to a GeForce Driver(s) error.... at least for my GeForce 8600GT 256MB graphics card..... :( even though I had picked no nVidia drivers! Thus the base OS X system drivers could not drive my GeForce 8600GT.... :P

If you have a similar kernel panic do not expect to see the same hexadecimal numbers as in the example above.....

In which case, try the following:

1. So, after rebooting by typing -s at the boot: prompt and waiting for the prompt

:/ root# to appear (I had to boot -s twice and press Enter after the static cursor appeared to get the prompt; you may not need to), type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for :/ root# to re-appear:

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

followed finally by exit.

"logout" will then appear on screen followed by "Jettisoning kernel linker" and the rest of the verbose booting screen, resulting in successful booting into the OS X Welcome screen and music.....

2. The System Profiler shows under Graphics/Displays, 1024x768 resolution 32-bit Color depth and 32MB VRAM with Software Driven CI and QE Not Supported, and against Kernel Extension Info: No kext loaded

At this point, you can try installing just the appropriate video driver kext via NVinject or from the Install DVD......