cheap out-of-the-box network card?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Yesterday I got Leopard finally working on my Dell E520 using Kalyway.

However, everything worked but sound and internet. I know that the integrated NIC is not compatible because of its Intel origins, so i've been trying a few network cards that i've got lying around in my house.

So far i've tried:

- D-Link DGE-528T (i read somewhere on this forum that it was compatible with some realtek drivers, but it didn't work for me)

- GTS FC-515 (didn't have much hope for this one because it's from 2002)

- Generic PC-Line ethernet card (found the os x intel realtek drivers for its chipset, but no luck)

- Netgear WG111v2 (again i found realtek drivers for it but it didn't find my wireless router)

None of these have worked, so i have decided to bite the bullet and buy an ethernet card for my pc.

What I'm looking for is a cheap PCI NIC card which provides good speeds. I live in the UK.

I've heard some NIC cards work out of the box without using any kexts, are there any cheap ones like that?

Please help, I go back to school on Thursday and need a working internet connection for coursework! :D

Thanks, nabxf

Netgear GA311 - 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI adapter does the trick for me. Not as cheep as some, but cheep.

Alright, thank you kennyp, i found one on amazon for £10 free shipping, so i'll probably be getting that.

Just one confirmation though, does the GA311 work completely out of the box, or do i need to patch os x?

Alright, thank you kennyp, i found one on amazon for £10 free shipping, so i'll probably be getting that.

Just one confirmation though, does the GA311 work completely out of the box, or do i need to patch os x?

I did not have to do anything other than plug it in the chipset is Realtek RTL8169S and should work OOB.

Good luck

Kenny

• 5 months later...