Laptop Leopard Install Help (Toshiba M400 Intel 945GM)

2k1Toaster

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install 10.5.4 on my laptop. Problem is that I cannot get anything to work on my laptops LCD screen. I used a flat image and booted it up.

With just the laptop lcd, it gets past the gray screen and apple logo with wheel, then the turn screens blue. Now either it freezes, restarts continuously, or turns white and multicoloured lines start appearing vertically all over. Either way nothing works.

Now if I connect an external monitor, it boots right up. Sound and networking didnt work, but I didnt fool around with it much booted. I can do everything on the external monitor, so I guess the problem is video.

It is a Toshiba Portege M400, has a Core2Duo, 2Gb 667 RAM, and Intel 82945GM chipset which is ICH7 I believe.

Also this is new to me, and when I try to install using Jas dvd, it either does endless reboots after installing and needing a reboot or it says "no keyboard found" but I am using the built in keyboard of the laptop and it works during installation, just not after that first reboot. Alot of my problem may stem from not knowing what to select in the options. I here vanilla kernel everywhere, yet see no mention of it in the customize area. I usually check the AC97, ICH7 Controller.

Any help would be appreciated. As I said I am new to this. My other osx86 desktop was easy peasy, this laptop is just being a pain!

Ok, I have wiped the secondary hard drive, redid the flat image, and using the external monitor got to the desktop keyboard and touchpad worked. It is the closest I have to running it on my laptop so far, so start with the best I assume.

So I suppose the biggest hurdle are the drivers for video. Then I will wory about the drivers for audio and wifi.

I have this exact problem: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75390 which wasn't ever resolved (no replies) and actually that person has a similar system.

But now when I reboot with no external monitor using the verbose command line switch, I see a few instances of "VGA Family Specific Matching failed". Happens about 5 times in a row. Then it does some other stuff, and then I see it says it found a match. Screen turns black. Screen turns all light blue, then fades to white. Then a multi-coloured vertical line show begins which I can only assume is OSX telling the video card things it doesnt want to hear.

Now when I initially start the computer, and it shows Darwin, I do see the message "VESA v3.0 7MB (Intel® 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS)" above where I type in command line args. So Darwin sees it, leopard doesnt.

Ideas?

Thanks,

I actually dug around some more and found that out. Looked at the device manager and saw I had the "0x27a2" version, found a kext for it and it works. I am happy that I now have a display on the LCD. I did find a post about the GMA950 and resolution changing, but currently I am stuck at 1 resolution.

Now to find drivers for Intel Pro Wireless ABG and my audio device which shows as SigmaTel HD...

Now I can't find that post with the resolution changing... :censored2:

I want to be able to have 1400x1050 but it just isnt happening so far... I also tried to download the audio drivers from the sticky here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97201 but all that did was after the reboot no video and kernel panic. I could not get it to boot again, it never got past the loading grey screen and verbose mode showed panic. So I reflashed the flat image back on, put the video drivers back on and back where I started.

So I am still looking for audio drivers... But first I need to change the resolution. 1024x768 on a widescreen LCD is like a miniature form of torture. And it seems like wifi drivers wont be happening. :rolleyes: