Asus EEE Box

13 posts in this topic

Has anybody had a try with the Asus EEE Box? From the specs, it looks like a very capable OS X machine.

Atom N270 and G945GSE (This is the mobile chipset, should be the same as MSI Wind) [bIOS 403? enables EIST]

Realtek ALC888 Audio

Realtek RTL8111C Gigabit Ethernet

AzureWave AW-NE771 or AW-NE766 802.11n Wireless (Mounted on a Mini-PCIe card if required for swap)

DVI out

1GB Ram, 80GB 2.5" drive,

All this sells for a grand total of $360 canadian at our nearby computer store.

Any thoughts? Sounds like another D945GCLF, but in a neat package

I have one, and I never thought of installing OSX on it. I just happened to catch your post... so I will try installing it and see if it works out at all.

It's a pretty slow machine though, it's about the same processing power of the MacBook Air, and we all know how well it performs... :D

I have the D945GCLF with 1GB Ram, and a 160GB Seagate. I love it! It has become my main machine. My Real macs are a dual core G5, and a dying MacBook Core 2 Duo. For me, a small quiet, low power machine that can display flash animation and output mp4 video, I'm happy. What is performance like? I was thinking this would perhaps be a great machine to replace her aging Mac Mini G4.

I have the D945GCLF with 1GB Ram, and a 160GB Seagate. I love it! It has become my main machine. My Real macs are a dual core G5, and a dying MacBook Core 2 Duo. For me, a small quiet, low power machine that can display flash animation and output mp4 video, I'm happy. What is performance like? I was thinking this would perhaps be a great machine to replace her aging Mac Mini G4.

Im considering getting one of these as well, but am wondering if all peripherals (display, sound, network) work with hackintosh? If so, what drivers are you using?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) on my eee box thanks to the awesome forums and community and of course some good old fashioned trial and error. I am very new to the osx86 scene and yet somehow managed to get it done, again thanks to google and everybody who documents their processes so well.

While it's not a SCREAMER, it certainly works well enough for what I use it for--I have it attached to my plasma hdtv and i use it as a bittorrent client and use nullriver's medialink and connect 360 to stream bittorrented media to my ps3 and my xbox 360 as well as its itunes library to those machines and other macs on my network.

i used to use tversity to do this in xp, but it ended up being so unreliable that I looked to see if I could get leopard to work. Everything seems to work, although I have not tried wi-fi, my bluetooth dongle, or sound in yet. Also, one caveat is that the highest screen res I can get is 1280x1024, not the native 1920x1080 that I used to be able to get in XP. I'd love to get that going and then I would be completely 1000% happy. 1280x1024 is fine for now, I mostly just vnc or screen share into it anyway. If I make any headway into that, I'll let you know, but it seems that maybe it's darwin that's keeping me from attaining greater screen res?