Irratic samba behavior fix

3 posts in this topic

OK. I'm not as well versed as many of you, but I believe I've discovered what I consider a major fix for irratic behavior with the samba server in osx. My problem was from computer to computer accessing the smb share on osx from vista or xp was giving me different results. Some computers I could connect, some couldn't at all, some would show all shares, some would show none..and the little piggy just cried all the way home! :lol: Anyway, after looking around I found that in the /var/db/smb.conf file there is a parameter screwing it all up:

sudo -s
vi /var/db/smb.conf

com.apple: show admin all volumes = yes

After changing this to "no":

sudo -s
vi /var/db/smb.conf

com.apple: show admin all volumes = no

I had MUCH better results. In fact, nothing flakey was going on anymore what-so-ever! My tests gave me the same results on 4 different OSX boxes and 3 Vista machines. I think that makes it pretty conclusive with my testing. I just thought I'd share some of my findings. Here are some other things you might need to know in order to find all the smb.conf files being used by smbd.

The smb.conf files being used on my system were:

/private/etc/smb.conf

/var/db/smb.conf

If you want to find out or make sure they are the same on yours, type this command:

testparm -vs | grep smb.conf

Look at the first line and then at the rest for potential includes.

Thats it! I really hope this helps some people. I know what com.apple: show admin all volumes = yes is supposed to do, but it obviously wasn't working correctly for me in all my situations.

***NOTE: /var/db/smb.conf is created automatically and might be overwritten... but I've not experienced it yet. It may be better to add the line after the include in /private/etc/smb.conf

I've noticed that /var/db/smb.conf at sometime got overwritten when I started having issues again...

I've now put it in /private/etc/smb.conf under the include of /var/db/smb.conf

include = /var/db/smb.conf

[homes]

; Filter inaccessible shares from the browse list.

com.apple:filter shares by access = no

It fixed it again... I'll report back here if I have any more findings.

• 1 year later...
I've noticed that /var/db/smb.conf at sometime got overwritten when I started having issues again...

I've now put it in /private/etc/smb.conf under the include of /var/db/smb.conf

include = /var/db/smb.conf

[homes]

com.apple:filter shares by access = no

It fixed it again... I'll report back here if I have any more findings.

I'm having this problem as well, and I suspected that would help. I haven't made the change yet, but seeing this post reaffirmed my suspicions that this line in /private/etc/smb.conf was causing the issues:

com.apple:filter shares by access = yes

I'll report back once I've seen if it works or not.