Please Help :( HDD wont mount?

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Id like to first mention that prior to this post i had an installed Jas 10.4.8 install, But the hard drive in

that machine died and passed away. Now i am keen to set it up again but using my main machine which

only has 1 200gig IDE hdd.

So i grabbed a copy of Jas 10.4.9 pre-patched iso, burnt it off using Nero, setup a 20gig FAT32 partition by

relocating free space on the over drives to create a new one. Whacked in my copy of Jas and got into the install,

disk utils, And formatted the fat32 as a Mac Journaled partition. Now after its done this it says its "Mounting" my drive

for install.. Except after saying it is mounting it.. The drive remains unmounted, and greyed out, Along with all of the options under First aid (Repair/Verify) etc.. When i click mount.. It dosen't appear to even be thinking of obeying.

At one stage i did get it to tell me it has insufficient privledges...

So iv spent the whole day trying to work this out, And with the recent downfall of the search engine i havent had much

luck finding any new ideas. I know it would be easier if i had 2 drives however that isin't really an option for me right now.

If anyone has an idea, a line in terminal i could try.. Please do share it with me :blink: Iv been trying mount /dev/disk0s3 etc..

It says no such file name or file system. I did happen to notice something about being unable to mount /dev/disk03 /disk05 etc.. But I'm now completely stumped and hate to post here and annoy people with probably a very simple explanation.

My machine is:

Intel P4 Prescott 3.2 ghz Dual core

Asus p5gdc-v Deluxe

2 gigs of RAM

Nvidia Geforce 8600 256meg PCI-E

WD IDE 200 GIG hdd

Currently running Windows XP Professional

Using Acronis Disk Director for my partitioning etc

Any help, Would be so very much appreciated.

Update:

Noticed today during OSX installation booting up that it says

"Unable to mount /dev/disk0s3"

"Unable to mount /dev/disk0s5"

"Unable to mount /dev/disk0s4"

etc.. basically its just refusing to mount any of my partitions, And after formatting the partition i want to install OSX on it still wont mount it properly so i can install. Could this be a read/write problem? how would i fix that? Can someone please give me the correct mount command to try and manually mount the drive in terminal.. I'm usually a very patient person but this is driving me insane. Is it even possible? Iv found a manual on here for installing vista/xp/osx.. but im not sure its on the same HDD like my setup.

Please help!?

I had this problem, all I had to do was change my new partition to Logical, as it was set as Primary- dunno if thats your Prob tho... also i didn't use FAT, I used unformatted, also don't know if you have that option, usually works.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I tried out your idea and was unsuccesful in getting the drive un-greyed out. But with perfect timing i had a relative come over with a unwanted computer. Salvaged his hdd and now have Mac osx installed... But.. no sound drivers for my Cmedia High Defination onboard sound and none for my 8600 GT.. i wiped the drive again and began grabbing a copy of Ideneb 10.5.4 .. now im having issues with that :( .. Installed and it reset and then instead of loading up the new Mac osx... it restarted again.. looping. Pretty sure my computer hates me..

Disregard previous post, I am now typing this from my hackintosh Leopard, Just about completely functioning.. Got audio,network, graphics card needs drivers and i'll be sweet.

.. haha.. now i don't really wanna go back to windows ;)

• 2 months later...

Any chance you might remember how you got your machine up and running? I'm having issues as well.... Install goes well

Running:

p5gdc-v

ideneb 1.3 (10.5.5)

I just recently was able to get the machine to boot...

The video card seems to be functioning

USB KB/Mouse Works

Does not appear to recognize flashdrives without reboot.

No Network

No audio