Better utilization of multi-core processors?

Ztardust

2 posts in this topic

I just bought an 8-core MacPro...

Has anyone here tested Snow Leopard on a 8-core machine?

Does Snow Leopard offer better use of the multi-core system than leopard?

I am interested in running Logic Studio on Snow Leopard, but perhaps it is too early in the process for that to work?

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Snow Leopard is a very early developer preview... from the information that has been gathered so far, we are talking about build 96... In the past Apple hasn't released an OS until it is between 400-600 builds...

Plus, Snow Leopard is a very significant change compared to Leopard... similar to the PPC to x86 transition, except now x86 to x86-64. While we are still dealing with the same "core" architecture, there are quite a few very significant changes that need to be addressed that simply prevent you from running flawlessly, unchanged.

Apple has discussed several truly amazing enhancements to Snow Leopard, including OpenCL and GrandCentral, however from the information that has been made publically available at this point, it does not appear that there is any live code for these currently active inside of the WWDC08 Snow Leopard Developer Preview. There have been screenshots that have been published showing OpenCL Build 0 as being present in the OS, however several colleagues have informed me that it is not currently usable. I have not personally performed an examination as to make my own claims of whether or not there is anything functional, but I do trust my colleagues and feel that they have no reason to lie to me about this.

At this point, I would personally recommend that people do not use this pre-released product on any computer that they need to use on a day-to-day basis as I have heard many complaints of instabilities that prevent it from functioning along with first hand knowledge that it will not physically run on my Mac due to KEXT Compatibility Issues with some proprietary, in-house developed hardware that I need to use in my line of work. Until our engineering team can design a new set of KEXTs, I simply will be unable to use this OS for my own development work.

~Adrian Fogge