Using multi touch track pad in other apps!

1 post in this topic

If you have a multi touch enabled track pad on your paper thin Macbook Air or your shiny new Macbook Pro, then you are probably aware of the nifty multi touch gestures that you can use in various apple apps like safari, finder and preview. If you're like me then you probably want to be able to use these gestures in all your other applications as well! Well thanks to MultiClutch, you can!

In this tutorial i will show you how to set up multiclutch to enable multi touch gestures in Firefox (Any version!)

Just download multiclutch from the link above, or directly from here.

Once installed open the system prefence pane and click the + button to add your application.

After you have selected your application, click the + button on the other side to add your first gesture. Lets start with the three finger swipes to navigate through your history just like you can in Safari.

Change the gesture you added to the list to "Swipe Left" and double click the key command to edit it, set it for CMD + Left Arrow.

Now add another gesture and change that to Swipe Right, then change the key command to CMD + Right Arrow.

Now when you save and restart Firefox you will be able to swipe left and right to go back and forward in your history! :D

Lets add a few more gestures. These are optional but i found them to be helpful.

Zooming in - or "Pinching out" can be set to open a new tab, and zooming out or pinching in can be set to close a tab (or firefox all together if you're on your last tab!)

Refer to this screen shot to see the settings you need to set up these gestures:

picture1zc3.jpg

Once you get all your gestures set up, just close system preferences, and restart Firefox, when firefox launches again, it will be multi touch aware, thanks to multiclutch!

Enjoy!

-Prawker ;)