g6?

12 posts in this topic

now that the imac g5's are out with the new intel processors, i've been seriously contemplating buying one of my own. however, since the g5 models have been out for awhile now i can only guess that a new g6 model could be waiting just right around the corner. especially seeing as how not only is there a new processor for apple to work with, but now they're also crafting gorgeous hd cinema displays. i'm just worried that if i do spend all the money buying a g5, i'll only feel screwed if a new generation comes out shortly there after.

does anyone think that a new generation of imacs could be coming very shortly in the future?

Seriously, you're a bit misinformed. There is no "iMac G5 Intel". The G5 is a processor and the Intel Core Duo is a processor. You can't have both. No, there will never be a "G6", as the next generation of imacs have already been released.

ahh, i guess i kind of should have guessed that.

okay, maybe i should rephrase that by saying...does anyone think that a new imac model for new core duo's could be released sometime in the near future? or does everyone assume that apple will just keep the current models for the next couple of years?

I can't tell if your serious... but if you are;

The lifetime of a machine is about 6 to 9 months on average. The iMac CoreDuo will be with us until the summer/back to school timeframe. And then it'll be a newer CoreDuo model.

okay, i think i've just confused a lot of people. it's not you're fault, though. i have no one but myself to blame considering i was a wee misinformed. but i will try to reiterate the original question i had on my mind in the easiest way possible.

do you think that apple will be redesigning the imac anytime soon?

as in:

iMac-CRT.jpg

to

iMac-20inch.jpg

to

iMac.jpg

to

?

i mean, this current imac design has been around for quite awhile now. so i'm just wondering what you people think.

iMacs design history:

1998 first iMac just the indigo

1999 rev c introduced the fruit colors

2000 clear outer case

2002 LCD iMac G4 came out (new design)

2004 iMac G5 out (new design)

got those from www.apple-history.com

so im guessing from that data later this year about Q3-4 2006 there would be a new design for the iMac with Merom

Mx34u, you don't have to be a {censored} about it. Posting like that makes you look dumb. :blink:

Yup - certainly does.

Some people are new (ME!) to the MAC world so his question was OK to me.. :S

Mark

I'm glad that the majority of posters in this thread were kind. Mx34u and user2, it's wise to remember that we all had to learn somewhere and we've all made posts which look stupid to those with more knowledge. Me included - I cringe at some of my early efforts. Fortunately people were kind to me and I've got a thick skin so I stuck around. I really don't want to see someone put off visiting because of hostile responses to their first posts.

On a moderating note, I usually let posts like Mx34u's go because that wasn't an unreasonable reaction. But I do jump on posts which encourage newbies to do stupid things or feed a misconception with plausible misinformation. I can't read everything however so I'm glad self-policing works. We've got a great crowd here. Thanks, guys.