New Search Platform

40 posts in this topic

I just wanted to let you know about the New Search which has been implemented and give you some Tips on how to use it effectively

As you may have noticed, our Search Platform was not very good. Many people complained about not getting the results they wanted and resorted to other methods of searching. Let me assure you, I have been listening to your complaints and been planning long and hard on a solution

So after loads of lines of code and dozens (Ok maybe 3-4 :)) of cans of Red Bull, I believe we have the solution. Welcome to our new Search Platform

What does this Mean for Me?

Well after loads of testing by select people, we have come up with a new and improved Search which will make finding things much more easier.

How do I use it?

Well you use it in the same way as the previous search platform. Just type the things you want and press the Search Now Button. Although as part of our improvements, we have introduced new options which will be explained in the next post.

Anything else?

Well currently all I can say is Happy Searching! There is always room for improvement and I personally will welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

- Suhail

How to make an effective searchWe have always wanted to make Search more effective and efficient. Therefore we introduced new Optional Search Parameters.Please Note: If you are searching for anything specific (Such as a Motherboard name or a Graphics Card etc.) with a Dash (-) or a Ampersand (&) then PLEASE REMOVE THEM BEFORE SEARCHING.You do not in any way need to use these parameters. But we do advise that you read through this post and get acquainted with the new functionality as it may aid you in finding what you need quicker. How to do a Normal Search?This is easy, you just type in the Words in the Search Box and press the Search ButtonHow do I enhance my Search?To help explain this, we made a pretty table:

Enhanced Search Parameters
Use Means
apple juice Find posts that contain at least one of these words
apple & juice Find posts with both words
apple -juice Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'
"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'
These Search options are easy but very effective. But for those who do not plan on using them, we have thought about you also. We have enhanced the normal searching so it outputs better and more relevant results.Please Note: If you are searching for anything specific (Such as a Motherboard name or a Graphics Card etc.) with a Dash (-) or a Ampersand (&) then PLEASE REMOVE THEM BEFORE SEARCHING.Thanks- SuhailInsanelyMac Site Development

Indexes have finished updating. Therefore the search should now be fully activated and ready to find whatever you need

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to use the search again from the search box on the upper right hand side and got this:

There was an error processing the request. Please go back and try again, or contact an administrator for assistance.
connection to unix:///var/socketproxy/insanelymac.com/searchd:0 failed (errno=2, msg=No such file or directory)

This happened all yesterday and this morning.

Just letting someone know

Cheers

Bruce

Still can't search:

There was an error processing the request. Please go back and try again, or contact an administrator for assistance. 
connection to unix:///var/socketproxy/insanelymac.com/searchd:0 failed (errno=2, msg=No such file or directory)

• 2 weeks later...

Tried some searches the last few days, but somehow it never works when I'm online!? Or is this no coincidence?

When I'm searching by member name it works, but a keyword only fails:

I also always seem to get the same error:

Ok, i can't use the search feature at all.. Everytime i go to search, i get this error message:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

This has been happening for the past couple of weeks. Any ideas?

Error! Error! Same error as the previous...

Maybe this new platform is more efficient, but the old one was more reliable. I'd take reliable over efficient any day. :)

Hope you work things out without toxing-out on Red Bull...

Search not working yet again, works on other boards fine (as it needs to as it pretty essential to getting the best out of one), why not this one?

Just tried the search again, it's just searching for topic titles that appears not to work, If I search the body text as well, I actually get some results (with the the arch terms in the titles that were not found with a topic title search). FAI

Search isn't working for me, Using Firefox 3.0.1 from windows xp right now

• 2 months later...

Search is not working for me, Safari 3.1.2

Not to pile on, but I have tried to figure out why this isn't working for me. My XP laptop on my home network cannot search regardless of browser. My Mac on my home network cannot search regardless of browser. Hackintosh on home network cannot search regardless of browser. Neither one of the kids machines can search (IE only). However, when I connect to the internet using my mobile wireless card, search works just fine !! Don't know if this helps, but I am going to continue investigating from that angle. I will post if I come up with a potential solution.

sawdust

Search is down!