Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Adding files to iTunes is so slow...

2 posts in this topic

Am I alone in experiencing extremely slow perfomance from iTunes (6.02) when adding files to the library?

We're talking half an hour and more to add 532 songs for a total of 2.41 Gb, not even copying the files to the iTunes folder just adding them to the Library. Networked performance is even worse. I left it running all night and by morning it still hadn't finished adding all the files on my file server to the Library.

I tried chmod 555 on iTunes Music Library.xml (as suggested elsewhere) but that hasn't made any noticeable difference.

For what it's worth, I'm running 10.4.5 on intel, a P4 Northwood 2.4 GHz with a Gb of RAM and it's the fastest Mac I've ever used...

Answered my own question I guess...

My files are a mix of mp3s and ogg. Itunes has no problem with the mp3s but is excruciatingly slow at adding oggs, which it'll play with the right plugin.

I was adding a folder full of files only to see a spinning beach ball as soon as it hit the first ogg encoded file.