Will you still buy the real deal?

Will you still buy Macs?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use OSX86 as a primary PC?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy a real Macintosh over a Hackintosh?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If you would buy the real thing, would you still use a Hackintosh?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A

38 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm interested to know if people would rather use the real thing over the semi-real thing.

I know theres quite a few factors to the answers (Like the over-priced vs well-priced), but I'm asking you to answer as straight as you can.

Basically, after using both Hack and Mac i've resolved to preferring the real thing.

I dont like having to setup drivers, modify kexts etc. The reason I dont use Linux or Windows anymore is because they'd always find a way to screw up and you'd spend hours trying to fix your damn pc's.

Well the OSX86 project seems to be turning Mac OS X into what I hate.

When I first used a mac, way back before Intel (I think maybe OS 8 or 9) and with Tiger/Leopard iMac G5's, I remember thinking wow, it's all setup perfectly, it runs smooth, its all in the screen, this is great.

Then I started looking at Osx86. Ive used it in various flavours now for 2 years and I can say i've never used it as a primary PC, never relied on it, never enjoyed using it, never enjoyed setting it up, an i'm back full circle to why I hated doze.

Plus theres the peace of mind when buying a Mac that a software update may not kill your OS. Surely Apple will respond somehow to the whole project?

Anyways, id like to hear other opinions, after all, this is a forum, not just a place for me to post my views then sod off.

Sorry if its in the wrong place, and please dont flame me for being anti Osx86, or for being a fanboy, or whatever. I purely want to know what everyone thinks of the project.

Cheers

Ash

:)

This is the typical fanboi troll rant against all things non-Apple. Apple has never catered to the computer savvy do-it-yourself kind of user. They're more like a boutique that serves those who are more concerned with how fashionable their computer is, and who are scared to death of opening their computer case. The idea of changing out a kext from a Terminal command line is enough to give them an anxiety attack.

OSx86, on the other hand, is all about doing it yourself. It's no big surprise it doesn't appeal to you. You're not alone. IMO just about everyone on this board would buy a real Mac if they could afford one. OSx86 is a way for them to get the panache of a Mac without getting fleeced by Mr. Jobs and his overpriced hardware.

And this is definitely the wrong forum for trollish flamebait.

Wow, you read my post right didn't you?

I asked if you could please refrain from flaming me for being a fanboy. I said I'd just like to know what others use thier OSX86 for.

I explained why I prefer the real deal. And I understand exactly why people like Osx86.

So what are you a an Osx86 fanboy? (boi teehee)

If I was a fanboy i'd probably be writing "Your all idiots why dont you just buy the real thing. You suck, I love mac, I'm better"

As I said I've used All the OS's, incluing Osx86. I'm not scared to edit kexts, or terminal, or sudo. I've killed a good few installations of all the OS's (Nix,Doze,Mac,Hackintosh,Solaris,BSD,GNUHerd). And I've built 100's of pc's. I do enjoy tinkering with stuff. I'm a Physicist. Its what I do.

But when all my work relies on something I dont trust then i'm sorry but I have to go for peace of mind, and ease of use. (Busy Guy)

I did not insinuate that I hate all things non-Apple. I did not say Mac are so much better. Yes they are overpriced, and not much kick for your money. I have my problems with Apple too.

And you agree with me saying Osx86 is a DIY sorta thing, which is the point I was trying to make, and then personally attack me.

Well done. You may be an Insanely Mac Sage but I really don't care. FFS next time you speak/write use the brain you were given.

Thankyou to those who voted.

I got myself the real deal. New 2.5GHz 17'' MacBook Pro But

No - To Do you use hackintosh as primary PC : I use my MacBook Pro

Yes - To Would you buy a real Macintosh over a Hackintosh? - Did that

Yes - To If you would buy the real thing, would you still use a Hackintosh? - Yes. Every day. Got new speakers for it so I stream my itunes libary from my network to that.

Ooh, Very nice.

Hopefully be replacing my Mac soon(Just amassing the funds...). The streaming was my plan originally, but I just can't get movie plaback on my Hac, (And interestingly the opposite way to you.) but i'm just glad I have a Tablet Mac. Looks like a bit of a Phat setup you have too.

So do you control the Music on your hac from you macbook?

Me I play with hackintosh since one year because I'm bored of XP and Vista sucks so for sure I'll end with a real Mac, for the moment I use osx86 like a "trial" to see everything about this OS. I also enjoy a lot to do all this tricks inside kext files.

I used every MS OS since 3.11 for workgroups, SuSE and Ubuntu. In 2006 I bought a Macbook 13'' and I fell in love with OSX.

Yet I cannot afford a Mac Pro to take place of my workstation PC, so I decided to have a go with OSx86 and since then I never used Vista anylonger. If you buy PC components keeping in mind OSX compatibility, the pain with kext hacking isn't really scary.

Nontheless, if I could afford, for sure I'd buy the real one.

I am in a odd situation. I used OSx86 as my main OS for about a year. I built 3 hackintoshes for that purpose. But eventually I went back to Linux, I find it more flexible.

However OS X was still installed on the largest partition (180GB). I waited to install Leopard until 10.5.1.

I updated to 5.2 without problems. However when a dev here released the 5.3 update, I began to have a lot of trouble. After the update, Leopard wouldn't boot. I reinstalled several times. So in the end I had enough, I saved my User data and formatted my OS X partition.

Would I buy a Mac? Well, if I could afford it (maybe next year I'll be able to) I'd buy a Mac Pro. Yes I know, it is expensive, but it is such a beauty, sheer perfection. Imagine it next year with 2 Quad Nehalems. (or even 2 Octo Nehalems!).

I'm currently looking at a Vostro 1400 to run OS X on, because they can be bought for under $700 with a dedicated graphics card. To run Final Cut Studio, I would need to purchase a Macbook Pro, which would run about $2000, with a dedicated graphics card. If I had the money to buy a MBP, I would.

I just got permission from my boss to order a MacBook Pro for work. I had to keep the cost down so I went with the 15" model with extra RAM.

I started using a hackintosh at home six months ago as a test to see if I could wean myself from Windows. Aside from a few specialty programs for work, everything I need is Mac available. The new machine should arrive next week.

Used OSx865 to find out whether I liked it, did, and got myself the real deal because I do not have enough time to fuss around with my system as much as Windows and OSx86 would make me :)

• 4 weeks later...

Me too!

I tried out OSX86 for a very short time and liked it so much I bought the real deal.

Really, by the time that you build a decent Hackintosh and get it to work well, you could have just bought the real thing for not a huge amount more. I never did get that Hackintosh working 100% and didn't care to try.

DIY is a fine enterprise, but I didn't see the need to build an inferior version of a computer I could just buy.

I feel that DIY is a far better idea in PC land where you can build something a lot better than what is commonly available.

Wow, did you get flamed right at the start!

The Mac Store as a boutique for brainless people only interested in fashion?

Geez-o! They'd just get their Sony iMac knockoffs and color-co-ordinated laptops from the far-cheaper Big Box store.

How about selling quality products for a reasonable profit?

You can get bankrupt in a hurry without a decent profit margin. You want decent Salespeople, Apple Geniuses, service support? R&D for that next great Cinema Display or iMac? It all costs money and where does that come from? Us, the customers!

Most of the people I've met at the Mac store want the best and find it there. People I've met there range from Mr. cost is no object to sensible working girls.

We all have one thing in common: We want our computers to "just work" and realize that good equipment costs a little more. We're also willing to pay for it though some of us need a little help from Visa.. :hysterical:

Keri

Other "Real Deal" products I had to save for: (and were worth it!)

Toyota car. It now has 281,000 miles on it. Guess what I'll trade it in for?

Filter Queen vacuum cleaner: I bought my first one almost 20 years ago! It was so expensive, I had to finance it. It still looks and runs as new for a friend when I upgraded to the newest style. After 18 years of cleaning both my house and my moms.

Maytag Washer & Dryer. When bought, they were just the best. Still OK. Chimes, not buzzes! :)

Sharp LCD TV. It's beautiful. It cost more than the others but....

Next: Tempur-pedic mattress. oooooooo... gotta have. :( And I thought my Pillowtop was the best....

No- As much as I like OSx86, there is no real official support for it, where as with Vista, if I have a problem, Microsoft can help out some, as well as support for games, which I play games on my computer a lot.

Yes- Although, the only real Macs I would buy, the laptops(Aside from the air), and the MacPro. The Imacs do use mobile cpus with 1066 fsb, but I can't change the ram as easily as I could with a MacPro, or swap the video card out, or change a harddrive, or change the optical drive, or add one. I want a real desktop, which the MacPro is more than a desktop, it's a workstation.

No- What's the point? If I have a Mac to run Mac, then I don't need a PC to run Mac.

No, I'd never buy a 'real' Mac desktop, vs. a Hackintosh, unless Apple made one that actually suited my needs.

When I see some discussions like this, I honestly think people must be talking about something else, because with the Hackintoshes I've built, I must have done something right, compared to what some claim as their experiences.

It's nothing like what I've experienced. Maybe it's just that I can read, follow instructions, and pick hardware that works, rather than pick components at random so I can complain about it not working, and gripe about how much time I had to spend reinventing the wheel? I really don't know, but I'm guessing it's something like that.

My signature Hack has worked perfectly since day 1. I spend approximately NO time messing with any kext files, or with the terminal or worrying about having to 'hack' anything. I've built hacks for other people and had not a single complaint with any of those systems wither, all of which keep right on performing for their owners.

My main hack has enabled me to get work done faster than any Mac I've used at work.

Every time some OS update comes out, I'm not really pulling my hair out because *gasp*! A number will change! It's funny, dirty little secret- my work got done just as fast and just as well using 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3... and now 10.5.4. Will 10.5.5 suddenly do my work in half the time, give me a shoeshine, and shoot rainbows out of my DVD drive? No? Then it's likely I won't curl up in a ball and cry if I can't upgrade my Hackintosh to it the second it comes out. Sooner or later, I'll be running that update too, and I'm guessing in reality, it'll be much like the previous ones: "Oh gee, look at that About This Mac box. A number changed. Whoo hoo that's cool. I suppose something, somewhere is... err... different? better? faster? cooler? Okay, enough admiring a number.. now back to work..."

It took a modest amount of reading and asking a few questions to set things up correctly to begin with- much smarter people than me have already figured out most anything that's all that difficult. But once it's set up, it's set up. Really, what is all this constant hacking people claim to be doing? Is that really for real, or are most people just digging themselves out of a mostly self-created hole? (IE: didn't follow a guide correctly, didn't choose compatible hardware, had to update to see a number change but little else and then borked a working system, etc. etc.)

I purposefully chose hardware that other people reported as working, so... I dunno... it works. Go figure. :(

My experience is that Apple simply doesn't make a system as powerful as what I can build myself, for the price I can build it. That's not to say the MacPro isn't an amazing machine, but it's really not $3,000 worth of amazing compared to a midrange $600-$1,000 Hackintosh that's a little more realistic for my needs. I'm not knocking the MacPro- just I don't need the high-end, when a mid-range works better for me and costs much less. All of Apple's other 'desktops' don't work for me in the least.

IF Apple came out with a mid-range, headless, expandable, upgradeable machine that was as good a deal as say a $1,000 range Hackintosh, I might consider buying it. But they won't- that's not their business model, and I don't really blame them. But it also means I won't be an Apple customer for a desktop.

Now, a Macbook is another story. If I needed a new laptop, I might consider a Macbook. DIY laptops make very little sense, so it's a matter of buying something pre-made no matter what, and Apple does make very, very nice laptops.

I installed "dead moo" 10.4 on a P4 dinosaur back in the earliest days of OSx86. As crappy as the experience was, it actually was better than Windows XP. I made the switch and got me a Mac. I soon realized I wasn't really the PC tinkerer I always thought I was. I'd much rather have things just work. A computer should be an appliance... not a lifestyle. What some would call "boutique," I now call a necessity! Currently, Apple offers the most worry-free experience, hands down.

As far as Apple's hardware being overpriced, it depends on how you look at it. When I factor in the cost of software, upgrades, and time spent "fixing" the OS, for me, it's actually cheaper in the long run than other Windows based machines. But that's me. I'm sure gamers will have a different opinion.

For those who enjoy all the tinkering OSx86 requires, that's fine too. No doubt, you're learning quite a bit in the process. I actually put myself through college as a PC technician so I do understand the allure. And I still think the OSx86 project has done Apple a huge service by introducing the rest of us to their product.

I am no Mac-Head zealot. Apple's day of reckoning is coming. No one stays on top forever. In the meantime, Apple's star is still rising and I wish them the best of luck.

~A dedicated Mac owner... until something better comes along. :D

• 2 months later...