WIFI/ Bluetooth PCI card?

Andy Machead

8 posts in this topic

So I have officially started building my hackintosh, ordered a very nice Intel motherboard today on sale for $65. One thing that worries be besides mounting the thing in a PowerMac G4 case is bluetooth.

i use a apple wireless keyboard and mouse, so bluetooth is a necessity in any computer I have. I have seen many wifi/bluetooth PCI cards out there but can someone recommend one that works with OS X perfectly?

I have 2.0+EDR in my mac mini, but I noticed a new v2.1 spec is out so anything cheap would be good. It would rather stupid to take up an entire USB port for bluetooth and then another for WIFI when the board I purchased has four PCI slots I believe. I wanna fill them with a TV tuner/ eSATA adapter/ and Firewire 800 card. Will just any card work with OS X for that? The board has eSATA native and might even come with the cable and PCI face plate, not sure.

THANKS! I can't wait to harness the power of a single processor quad-core Mac Pro but cheaper and more upgradable! :)

Guest BuildSmart
So I have officially started building my hackintosh, ordered a very nice Intel motherboard today on sale for $65. One thing that worries be besides mounting the thing in a PowerMac G4 case is bluetooth.

i use a apple wireless keyboard and mouse, so bluetooth is a necessity in any computer I have. I have seen many wifi/bluetooth PCI cards out there but can someone recommend one that works with OS X perfectly?

I have 2.0+EDR in my mac mini, but I noticed a new v2.1 spec is out so anything cheap would be good. It would rather stupid to take up an entire USB port for bluetooth and then another for WIFI when the board I purchased has four PCI slots I believe. I wanna fill them with a TV tuner/ eSATA adapter/ and Firewire 800 card. Will just any card work with OS X for that? The board has eSATA native and might even come with the cable and PCI face plate, not sure.

THANKS! I can't wait to harness the power of a single processor quad-core Mac Pro but cheaper and more upgradable! :)

Start with what you know, you have a 2.0+EDR in your mac-mini,

1. does wifi work natively on the card?
  2. does bluetooth work natively on the card?
  3. does the 2.1+EDR use the same chipset?

How about providing details on the equipment in case someone else wants to go the same route.

Why buy an eSata card when all you need is an adapter bracket?

You claim a nice $65.00 motherboard but refrain from mentioning any board details.

What chipet is each wifi/bluetooth card using?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813121314

^^ thats the Intel motherboard I purchased yesterday. Sorry for not clarifying the model.

THIS is the one card i found... http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...-wifi-pci-card/

i found an adapter bracket, one with 2 eSATA ports instead of a single one for $3.50. the box version of the board comes with the bracket but the open-box model I ordered does not.

thanks. :)

Guest BuildSmart
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813121314

^^ thats the Intel motherboard I purchased yesterday. Sorry for not clarifying the model.

THIS is the one card i found... http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...-wifi-pci-card/

i found an adapter bracket, one with 2 eSATA ports instead of a single one for $3.50. the box version of the board comes with the bracket but the open-box model I ordered does not.

thanks. :D

Let me ask in another way.

Does the wireless work and what drivers does it use (did you have to install any that were not apple provided)?

Does the bluetooth work and what drivers does it use (did you have to install any that were not apple provided)?

Guest BuildSmart
I haven't ordered the thing lol. I am asking if anyone knows any cards that will work, I don't wanna order a bluetooth/ wifi card that won't work. haha

Well, the EDR bluetooth should work since this is what was in the MacBook's and Titanium's however no one seems to know what chipset the wifi uses and without that information no one will be able to say for certain if the wifi will work.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...