Geforce 9500m GS (G84), anyone have this up and running? 10.2.5

dave q

30 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have a Asus M51Sn laptop with the Geforce 9500m GS 512mb DDR2. I know it's fairly new but I'm sure someone has the same GPU and possibly has had some luck. It's apparently based on the G84, or rather is a G84. Specs are identical to the 8600m GT. I'm running Leo's 4 all V3, Vanilla Kernel 9.2.0. I've been playing around with the different drivers the last few days with some OS reinstalls in the process :( and have't gotten too far. Here's the process that works most for me:

Install 10.2.5 -> Install Punk92's Nvidia Installer V1.9 and after rebooting, I can change my ressolution and in system properties, it shows I have a 512mb card, but no QE or hardware excel.

I've also tried to do Aqua's Graphics string, which did not change anything... I'm almost sure I followed the directions right, however can never say forsure.

My other question is if this card is a G84, same as a 8600GT, can I force the OS to see it as a 8600GT then? Can I cahnge the ID's so that they match that of the 8600?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

:2cents: :2cents: :D :D :D :D WORKING!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finally got it working 100% !!! NVinstaller .41 gave me Full QE but white menu's. Then I tried Aquamac's 9800GTX driver package (Automated installer) and everything works now. Full res, QE, no white menu's!!!

Now I just need to get the Audio going. :)

• 4 weeks later...

heya, glad to see somebody finaly solved that riddle. I got asus m50sv , 9500M GS 512MB, kalyway leopard 10.5.1 comboupdated to 

10.5.3 then officialy patched to 10.5.4. I tried nvinstaller 4.1 , 5.1 , nvkush , but still got white menus ... thanks for help in advance

• 4 weeks later...

arak78 I've tried everything under Kalyway 10.5.1 - 10.5.2 - 10.5.3 and I failed making the graphic card work properly (aqua mac files also...and everytime a fresh install) Ihave try evrything twice on a fresh install and it's not working !!! MAD !!

Maybe the solution reside in using Leo 4 all V3.

I'll try to and post soon.

dave q any help would be greatly appreciated.

rob3r7o thanks a lot for you PM and your answers !!

I'll try PCwiz9800GTX ( http://www.filefactory.com/file/b9a068/n/PCWiz9800GTX_zip ) and report ASAP.

My webcam never did work at all but I'm using Kabyl modified BIOS since the very beginning so...

By the way rob3r7o are you using Kalyway or another "package" ?

Do you also remember wich kernel you are using ?

Are you running a 1440x900 resolution (native from ASUS M51sn) ?

arak78: Is your Core Image software or Hardware ? Also do you have Quartz Extreme supported ?

You can check that in the : apple menu - About this Mac - More Info... - Graphic/Display

i have installed first NV.41 rebooted and installed PCwiz9800gtx then reboot

i am running 1400*900 resolution but no Core Image and no Quartz Extreme

I can't manage to get it working (Kalyway combo updated to 10.5.3, Vanilla Kernel, Kabyl Modified Bios)

Will try under 10.5.4

arak78 with no CI and no QE you will not be able to use your graphic display to the best... for example try to put a picture in full screen mode under iphoto (you'll have a black screen) it will be the same under other graphic apps.

:) It really is annoying the only thing is to test it with Kalyway updated to 10.5.4 and to test it with other packages (Leo4all)

Unfortunately I could only try this in a week or so...

rob3r7o : wich OSX86 are you using (Kalyway, Leo4All, etc...) ?

With kalaway 10.5.2 + kalaway comboUpdate 10.5.3 QE CI was Ok for me

I'm not sure if we must have graphicsUpdate from apple too

Now i have 10.5.4 (it is a turkis edition)

I have video resolution 1280x800!?!?!

Ok here my 9500m GS kext

http://rapidshare.com/files/137567083/Kext_9500m.zip.html

Put all file in system/library/extensions

here my graphic card

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Modello Chipset: Graphics by NVIDIA

Tipo: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

Larghezza Lane PCIe: x16

VRAM (totale): 512 MB

Fornitore: NVIDIA (0x10de)

ID dispositivo: 0x0405

ID revisione: 0x00a1

Revisione ROM: NVinject 0.2.1

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1280 x 800

Profondità: Colore 32-bit

Core Image: Hardware accelerato

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

Quartz Extreme: Supportata

Rotazione: Supportata

Mostra connettore:

Stato: Nessun monitor collegato

Okay CI & QE ar WORKING !!!

Very simple in fact :

Kalyway 10.5.3 Vanilla Kernel - NV41 installed (512) then NVinstaller_v.52 installed (512Mb selected)

The only thing is to reboot then set up your resolution to 1280x800 pixel millions of color (via system preferences - then display) then reboot again.

It's not the native resolution of the screen of the ASUS M51SN (1440x900) but it works and it's speed !

I Think it's just Apple who do not recognize this strange resolution maybe.

So it's a PARTIAL Solution but very satisfying one !

Thanks a lot robe3to for your kind help.

(By the way your files didn't work with me ;-)

Rob3r7o : thanks alot It's now working 100% native resolution : thanks to Kmikase file

kmikase : Thanks a lot ! It's working now !! I'm impressed cos I did generate my gfx string many time with gfx util and i don't see where i did wrong.

Anyway it's working now 100% QE, CI & full resolution !

By the way i do not like not understanding everything so i will generate my own com.apple.boot and report here if i succeed why and how.

arak78 : this is your chance to grab this file.

Great thanks to both of you !

You're welcome. It's not my file. I've followed The King's advices, but if it helped that's cool

here is the topic about m50sv the king did : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118625

But, i haven't suceed to make the vga working. Hdmi ain't a problem but no vga.

By the way with hdmi, i have a issue. I have a screen always connected via HDMI and when i'm in OSX it is always started. If anyone knows how to desactivate it without disconnecting it, be my guest :censored2:

With the link i posted, it should work just fine, strange.

Before installing the .plist i'veinstalled the 10.5.3 comboupdate, maybe that is the reason.

What is your sound card and computer ?

Anyway, one question. Does any of you know how to activate or desactivate the dual screen ?

Because i have a screen always connected to the computer with HDMI and the screen is always started.

I would like to keep it always plugged but not always started :)

Any clue ?