sleep don´t work with overclock

chinasky

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

i got the hack of my signature and i have an strange problem. If i don´t overclock the system the hack wakes up from sleep without problems, but when i configure it overclocked and i press the button the system tries to wake up and stops, again and again and i have to press the buttom for 30sec to shutdown the pc.

any ideas?

Hello,

i got the hack of my signature and i have an strange problem. If i don´t overclock the system the hack wakes up from sleep without problems, but when i configure it overclocked and i press the button the system tries to wake up and stops, again and again and i have to press the buttom for 30sec to shutdown the pc.

any ideas?

Sounds like your memory is unstable with the overclock. Is your machine prime and memtest+ stable?

You really can't do effective overclock testing without Windows. I mean you could build a custom BartPE disk with all the current utilities and drivers for your hardware, but that would be a pain in the butt. I just use a small stripped down install of Vista x64 on it's own partition with all the overclocking utilities. If you want to give me your bios settings I can get you in the ballpark. Also give me the manufacturer of your ram and the type, speed, etc. Also, what type of CPU cooler are you using? Use this template:

Robust Graphics Booster___________

CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________

CPU Host Clock Control_

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______

C.I.A. 2__________________________

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____

Memory Frequency (Mhz)

DRAM Timing Selectable [Manual]

CAS Latency Time -

Dram RAS# to CAS# -

Dram RAS# Precharge Delay -

Precharge Delay (tRAS) -

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)

Rank Write to READ Delay

Write to Precharge Delay

Refresh to ACT Delay

Read to Precharge Delay

Memory Performance Enhance

High Speed DRAM DLL Settings

******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ******** <---Ignore blinking red BS .

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_

FSB OverVoltage Control___

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control

CPU Voltage Control_______

Normal CPU Vcore

Ram: kingston value ram KVR667D2N5K2/2G

CPU cooler: Xigmatek hdts1283

I have now default settings, if you want we can start with a little oc...

NOTE: * not shown in bios **shown in bios

Robust Graphics Booster___________auto

CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ 11X

CPU Host Clock Control_____________disable

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________200

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ auto

C.I.A. 2__________________________ disable

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)______ auto

Memory Frequency (Mhz) ___________667

DRAM Timing Selectable____________ [auto]

CAS Latency Time _________________5

Dram RAS# to CAS# - 5

Dram RAS# Precharge Delay - 5

Precharge Delay (tRAS) - 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) _3

Rank Write to READ Delay _3

Write to Precharge Delay _5

Refresh to ACT Delay _36

Read to Precharge Delay _3

Static tRead Value__3

static tRead Phase Adjust_0

*Memory Performance Enhance

*High Speed DRAM DLL Settings

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ normal

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ normal

FSB OverVoltage Control___normal

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control _normal

**Loadline Calibration_auto

CPU Voltage Control_______ 1.30000

Normal CPU Vcore_________1.30000

thanks

Kinda cheesy ram. Nice cpu sink. Hit ctrl + F1 at the main bios screen and see if this unlock some other options. :)

Try this:

Robust Graphics Booster___________auto

CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ 10X

CPU Host Clock Control_____________disable

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________333

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ 102

C.I.A. 2__________________________ disable

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)______ 2.0

Memory Frequency (Mhz) ___________667

DRAM Timing Selectable____________ [manual]

CAS Latency Time _________________5

Dram RAS# to CAS# - 5

Dram RAS# Precharge Delay - 5

Precharge Delay (tRAS) - 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) _ auto

Rank Write to READ Delay _ auto

Write to Precharge Delay _ auto

Refresh to ACT Delay _ auto

Read to Precharge Delay _ auto

Static tRead Value__ auto

static tRead Phase Adjust_ auto

*Memory Performance Enhance

*High Speed DRAM DLL Settings

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ + 0.1

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ normal

FSB OverVoltage Control__ normal

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control _ + 0.1

**Loadline Calibration_auto

CPU Voltage Control_______ 1.35

Normal CPU Vcore_________1.30000

See what that does. Btw, there are lots of good threads on the E4500 on various O/C forums. Google it. That ram is gonna limit you, though. Kingston ram is {censored} unless you get lucky. Might I suggest some mid range GeIL, Mushkin, or G.Skill. Crucial Balllistix works well, too... and it's cheap. Only probably with Ballistix is it doesn't last all that long at voltages over 2.0v or so. Also, if you push any ram over 2.0v be sure to active cool it. I wouldn't push that cheap Kingston over 1.9. Do the finger test and see how hot it gets. :D

I have 4 gigs of GeIL (GX24GB6400LDCB) that I got for $65 bucks after rebate. Runs easily at 1000MHz+ with 5-4-4-8 timings. Freakin' stuff flies for cheap ram.

The system boots well but sleep still no working, even with a small oc (@2.30)

In two weeks or so i´ll do some changes to my board (memory,cpu and psu) we´ll see the results

thanks for your help vaporATX

Does it sleep ok using a older sleep kernel? Sleep is working fine on my machine with the 9.3 vanilla kernel as is restart. Shutdown is hit or miss unless I manually snuff cores 1-3 before I shutdown.

Vapor... I too don't have any Windows partitions I can boot into - and I agree, you kinda need windows for those tools. But I do have an XP VM. Do you think it would be ok to run Prime / memtest via virtualization?

BTW - Just wanted to say thx to you for the advice the other week on the overclock settings - system is running super quick now. I also used your little guide on Mysticus C's thread to upgrade to 10.5.3 - and that worked a charm (no diskutil errors!) had to replacce the same kexts as you plus the new JMicron kext. So props to you sir!

I haven't tried restart yet using 9.3 vanilla kernel, so I'll see if it works for me also. I have the same issue as you for shutdown... works sometimes, unless I kill 3 cores using CHUD. I haven't tried sleep either, so I'll try that also.

Chinasky... I'm running overclocked too, so I'll see if I can get my machine to sleep.... I've got real cr@p RAM too. My GeIL is turning up next week ;-)

Does it sleep ok using a older sleep kernel? Sleep is working fine on my machine with the 9.3 vanilla kernel as is restart. Shutdown is hit or miss unless I manually snuff cores 1-3 before I shutdown.

tried differents kernel with no luck and use same method for shutdown

Vapor... I too don't have any Windows partitions I can boot into - and I agree, you kinda need windows for those tools. But I do have an XP VM. Do you think it would be ok to run Prime / memtest via virtualization?

Never tried that, but I doubt you could get it to use all the cores. Plus, none of the monitoring utils will work. You can monitor temps with Temperture Monitor, but you won't be able to monitor voltages to check vDroop at various vCore settings. As far as memtest86+ goes I use the boot disk for that anyway. Running Memtest in windows doesn't give very accurate results. You can get the boot disk HERE

BTW - Just wanted to say thx to you for the advice the other week on the overclock settings - system is running super quick now. I also used your little guide on Mysticus C's thread to upgrade to 10.5.3 - and that worked a charm (no diskutil errors!) had to replacce the same kexts as you plus the new JMicron kext. So props to you sir!

No problem. Glad to help. It's nice to see somebody willing to read, learn, and experiment instead of bitching, moaning, and expecting people to do everything for them like so many posters here. Plus you say thank you... another rarity here. :P

I haven't tried restart yet using 9.3 vanilla kernel, so I'll see if it works for me also. I have the same issue as you for shutdown... works sometimes, unless I kill 3 cores using CHUD. I haven't tried sleep either, so I'll try that also.

Chinasky... I'm running overclocked too, so I'll see if I can get my machine to sleep.... I've got real cr@p RAM too. My GeIL is turning up next week ;-)

After a fresh reboot shutdown works fine. If the machine has been on for a few hours it'll just partially shutdown and leave the fans running unless I snuff the cores first. I guess I should write an apple script that snuffs the cores and initates shutdown and just drop it in my dock... I'm kinda lazy, though. :P

What GeIL did you get? GeIL uses those awsome Micron D9 chips. Damn things are almost bulletproof. That's why the Black Dragons could get away without using heat spreaders. The black GeILs I posted about are pretty much the same sticks as the black dragons but with heat spreaders minus the LEDs. I wish I could afford some Black Dragon Evos, but I'm saving up for a new build. Gonna be based on the soon to be released DFI P45 boards, DDR3, and a Q9450. Looking for 4.5GHz+ on water. :D

I didn't really think using VM would be a viable solution! Cheers for the link to memtest... I'll use that.

This is the RAM I've ordered:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....GB22GB8500C5DC)

Am looking forward to getting it into my rig! The only peice left after the RAM is the GFX card. Then I'll be finished (well for a few months at least ;-))

Sleep and restart don't seem to be working for me on overclocked settings, or even using stock settings.... hmmmnn. Think I need to revisit my power management settings in the BIOS.

I didn't really think using VM would be a viable solution! Cheers for the link to memtest... I'll use that.

This is the RAM I've ordered:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....GB22GB8500C5DC)

Am looking forward to getting it into my rig! The only peice left after the RAM is the GFX card. Then I'll be finished (well for a few months at least ;-))

Sleep and restart don't seem to be working for me on overclocked settings, or even using stock settings.... hmmmnn. Think I need to revisit my power management settings in the BIOS.

What power settings do you have now?

Here's what I have at the moment:

ACPI Suspend Type = S3(STR)

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN = Instant-Off

PME Event Wake Up = Disabled

Power on by Ring = Disabled

Resume by Alarm = Disabled

HPET Support = Disabled

Power on by Mouse = Disabled

Power on by Keyboard = Disabled

AC Back Function = Soft-Off

VaporAtx

i´ve updated my system (i use now the E4500 for my htpc) with this:

Q6600

nvidia 8800GTS

ram Geil 2x1 GB22GB6400C4DC, Black Dragon Series (800)

I dont what to make high oc, lets say 3Ghz; what bios settings do you think could be good?

i checked previous adamsweeting post, and maybe the configuration could be similar, what do you think?

thanks again

Q6600 should do 3GHz without breaking a sweat. Try 333 x 9 @ stock voltage. If it's unstable start bumping the vCore a little at a time until it's stable. Leave your memory timimgs loose until you get a stable cpu overclock, then worry about tightening your timings. With that memory you have I'd go ahead and go for 3.2 (401 x 8). You will have to give it some vCore and maybe some NBv to get there, but it should be minimal. I can get 3.2 out of most G0 6600s at about 1.35. At 3.4 usually 1.37-38. At 3.6 and up the voltage starts getting scarier.

• 6 months later...