PC Magazine says osx86 project is impossible

cremestar

36 posts in this topic

hey everybody,

this is hilarious...obviously, PC Magazine never read all of the success stories on here, because according to Loyd Case on this article in the June 2008 PC Magazine, especially this picture and its caption, osx86 is "not gonna happen" xD...Loyd should really read this forum, in my opinion, or at least admit, some people managed to get it right :P

Some hackers have successfully run OS X on non-Macs, but that usage is definitely unsupported. If you were able to track down these hacks—not all that difficult—you still might not get Mac OS X to work on your particular hardware. And there's no guarantee the apps would work, either.

Which is basically an accurate statement.

It's funny because some of it is true, but the part that Alessandro17 quoted...I'd quote it too, but I'm lazy. :D

Well, Operating Systems like Windows and a real Mac guarantee programs that were made for it like Halo 2 for Vista to work, but it doesn't always. So either way, a Hackintosh has more chance of a program not working, but not all OS' have 100% compatibility. Unless it's very very limited hardware, and I mean like a console limited.

Oh, and I like that picture with the caption. "Not gonna happen"?. Funny, you have a picture with it running on it, even if it's a mockup. :D

I met Loyd Case at a emerging technology seminar at SXSW (South by Southwest) here in Austin. He was part of a question and answer session. He's a putz. One of those swell headed college boys who thinks he actually knows something about computers because he read a PDP-11 manual once. I watched an AMD engineer take him apart so bad in an impromptu debate that I though Mr. Case was gonna cry.

OSX86 is not for people who don't know nothing about PC, you need to have a well knowledge in how a computer work and some knowledge in patching files etc. The magazine really does not know anything about OSX86. I think thanks to this forum we all enjoying the benefit of run OS X and their applications at full speed like a real Mac. We all tired of the {censored} Windows OS and their {censored} vulnerability to Virus.

I met Loyd Case at a emerging technology seminar at SXSW (South by Southwest) here in Austin. He was part of a question and answer session. He's a putz. One of those swell headed college boys who thinks he actually knows something about computers because he read a PDP-11 manual once. I watched an AMD engineer take him apart so bad in an impromptu debate that I though Mr. Case was gonna cry.

ROFL :D

LOL @ vbetts too

In all seriousness though, it does get me when people say that OSx86 isn't real, or is terrible. Well, sort of if you don't know what you're doing, but it's not hard if you understand like basic computers practically. You can say all you want about it, it's fake, it's terrible, love it or hate it, either way it'll be there in the end of the day, doing pretty decent too.

Does anyone else dislike PC Magazine in general? Its all a bunch of fluff and either obvious or false predictions. And if there false no one will remember ten years down the road when it doesn't turn out to be true, so they don't bother putting anything into them. Like Dvorack, he's constantly making these pointless predictions about technology as if he knows what he's talking about. Then one guy saying the future of all computing was going to be in iPhone-sized machines...

Then you've got the actual magazine, which is usually sporting an exciting cover such as "50 TIPS TO SPEED UP WINDOWS" as if scouring the internet looking for computer tips isn't something anyone else could do. Then you've got the contents, usually starting off with the editor going on about how great his Hellio Ocean is.

Then there are the help sections which are filled with solving obscure problems in various word processor and spreadsheet programs, bound to not help anyone but the person emailing in the question.

An all around pathetic publication.

Does anyone else dislike PC Magazine in general? Its all a bunch of fluff and either obvious or false predictions. And if there false no one will remember ten years down the road when it doesn't turn out to be true, so they don't bother putting anything into them. Like Dvorack, he's constantly making these pointless predictions about technology as if he knows what he's talking about. Then one guy saying the future of all computing was going to be in iPhone-sized machines...

Then you've got the actual magazine, which is usually sporting an exciting cover such as "50 TIPS TO SPEED UP WINDOWS" as if scouring the internet looking for computer tips isn't something anyone else could do. Then you've got the contents, usually starting off with the editor going on about how great his Hellio Ocean is.

Then there are the help sections which are filled with solving obscure problems in various word processor and spreadsheet programs, bound to not help anyone but the person emailing in the question.

I completely agree with you, specially related to the monkey of Dvorak. Trust me, I have been member of few tech sites and 98% of members say that this guy is retard, he don't know a {censored} what he is talking about it.

How true. Before becoming fully aware of Linux, and when I was still on dial-up, I used to spend a fortune on such magazines. Now I wouldn't spend a cent.

Dvorak is even more of a putz than Case. He's just a troll that trolls the tech press instead of web forums. If he posted here he'd probably get banned. All PC Mag is good for is to sit on the floor by the toilet to soak up the over spray.

this thread's title is MORE misleadin' than the pc magazine article (and i don't like pc magazine, i'd rather read pc world's internet articles whenever possible).

Which is basically an accurate statement.

go back and read allessandro's quote. and then show me where is says it is "IMPOSSIBLE"

i'll quote allessandro's quote.

Some hackers have successfully run OS X on non-Macs, but that usage is definitely unsupported. If you were able to track down these hacks—not all that difficult—you still might not get Mac OS X to work on your particular hardware. And there's no guarantee the apps would work, either.

he's tellin' ppl that they can http://justfcukinggoogleit.com (spell the f word correctly and the link will work) and find osx86 themselves but that he's not goin' to help them out.

do you know how many ppl would try to sue pc magazine if he gave out links to these hacks (aka osx86) websites and they ended up brickin' their pc's. the average person uses the factory settings on their pc's and they don't care about "makin' their pc run more efficiently".

edit:

also, not many pc magazines will run the risk of givin' out links for "hacks" and then havin' to deal with apple when they call and threaten them to pull the magazine 'cause of the publishment of hacks vs. "or else".

obviously any idiot can get a hackintosh up and running. i did it, and so can you. it takes an obsessive personality, and a morbid desire to actually SEE the magic smoke. not for the faint of heart.

but let PC mag tell people it's not possible. the more impossible it seems, to more i'm gonna score with the chicks!

In my opinion, his answer to the question in the article is accurate.

The caption of "Not gonna happen" is not for people like us (who spend money and time to make his/her machine running Mac OS X at any cost). After all, it is a magazine for general public who try to understand the basics of PC or get some tips. "Not gonna happen" is a good answer for them. I, however, believe the write is too proud to show to readers an HP running Mac OS X. It is a simply stupid practice as a write (or an editor) for a magazine.

If there is one thing to learn from this for ourselves, I would say "don't be too proud." (I have been bothered with the practice in this forum that many say their machines are perfect even though some SATA ports do not work, Shutdown does not work from time to time on his/her machine, et cetera. Such statement is not as accurate as the writer's answer to the question in the article.)

We need no advertising. Appearing in famous magazines may be good for the ego but will also draw too much attention from apple and other software manufacturers. Lets keep it as it is spreading steadily and stealth.

^ ROFL!!! ya, i must say too that PC Mag is a piece of junk...they TRY to be like geeks, but their magazine is so filled with ad junk and articles that you can find all over google anyways that its mostly good for just laughing at i guess....my post was one mainly of humor, but it is true: non-geeks dont even know what osx86 project is, let alone trying to attempt it

• 2 weeks later...