 Mysticus C*

Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,153 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Guyz, do you know what this error means.

!Install Failed - The Installer could not write the receipt for

"Post Combo Update Patches"

I get this error everytime I try to install the Post Combo Update Patches.

The pre patch and the apple update seem to install fine. and yes I have

gone to customise first and made my selections. :)

System:

Asus P5B Deluxe

2GB Ram

Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz

ATI X1950 Pro 512

200GB Seagate Barracuda

Nec DVD-RW

ToH Leopard Rc2 >>> Kalyway 10.5.2

netcrawler: learn to read instead of arguing, we are not hear to make your gma 950 work and mirror it... the purpose of this topic is to safely update as much as possible and i added many test packages/options to experiment...

your other stupid question is about able to update to 10.5.5 from 10.5.0 is already answered, you just dont read but know how to give pointless argument as your question is right?...

manca: your options should be

kernel: 9.5.0 vanilla with fix (u need to unselect the acpi if you choose vanilla) or 9.4.0 stagexnu

audio: can be restore or you can test one of the options that suits your model

network: u can try restore and if it doesnt work u can try marvel option

video: either nvkush or nvinject with correct memory! (but this is if you are not using gfx strings, if u are using gfx strings, your gfx should work OTB so no video option should be choosen :) )

chipset: ICHx AHCI (i hope pioneer is in sata port and not jmicron or if u cant set your jmicron to ahci as well than ok ) else u can try ICHx non ahci

system func: smbios: mac pro, unleselect the acpi option if u chosen the vanilla)

thats it... i believe it should work...

flame is for people who deserve it... i specifically wrote guidelines and explained things in as much details as possible, and put so much time making other guides for brick free system prep... people ignore it... and ask questions that are already answered... right in the first post... what i cant stand more is that when they argue, it is even more pissing me off...

for you not to be flamed, put your specs in your signature... so you dont have to post it next time, and i dont have to scroll back and forth, and people with your same specs can see the results from u...

frodo: can you please provide the install log? when you run the update, there should be a menu on top left side, go to menu title "window" and choose "installer log" in its drop down menu, choose all errors and messages... once you got the final errors, save the error log, and send it to me, i ll check what is wrong...

niko: your welcome, although i dont know what for...

i dont think it is a bug... it is usually caused by pressing next next button too much... it happens when you are running many pkg one after another, and in the first run, pressing next next too much... customize button comes up in the first next click after the initial screen, but when you click couple more times... it wont...

TO ALL NFORCE USERS: nforce users can/may try to do the update with an old trick that haxi/verdant is doing... booting with flags

-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

this should get rid of the gray screen, one possible reason for the gray screen is that it may be related nforce ata driver's 64 compatibility issue...

verdant/haxi reported success (page 74 ==> post #1478 see his settings) after the update, so there is a high chance that nforce mobo user will be able to update w/o hassle as he did....

thanx verdant for feedback :censored2: i can count on you as my apprentice :blink:

i'll give this a go on my system once I have got it back to 10.5.2 (will clone it too - shouldn't be too hard as I am used to doing dd linux clones in linux) I'll report back once I have given it a go.

That said can i clarify - we think this will stop the grey "You must reboot" screen that you get straight away after the Apple 10.5.5 update part? Before seeing your post I did the update again watching like a hawk and it only gave me a few seconds to click anything - i tried to minimize the update window but before i did it poped up with the message

I have tried 3 times and no matter what I do I get nothing unusual during boot except the "Blue Screen" with the pointer only. I then moved NVDAResman.kext to a backup folder and still get it. I tried the NForce fix 2 of the 3 times with no luck. Typically a blue screen means video driver, but this is something different IMO. Going to try 1 more time. I have been using -v but not cpus=1 so will try that. Since I dropped my memory to 2G, I don't see a need for the memory switch being passed to the kernel. However, In past I only needed CPU=1 if I was getting KPs and I am not getting KP, just the damn blue screen.

I tried the method of cloning ard drive to another partition while in Leopard, but that doesn't work as that large disk activity kills the system on my 680i MB. I know this is my problem and should just buy a different MB... only trying to get the system updated and running OSX so my son can use his computer with Leopard instead of Vista... which unfortunately, may be my last resolution.

hi all

pl§ help

yes i went from 10.5.3 to 10.5.5 using this great peace of pre and post uograde patchers thanks alot :)

but i don't get the post installation option screen (the one shown in the first post) , also i lost audio after the upgrade ?????

plz help

my system abit ip35 pro - intel p35 chipset - e8400 @ 4,05 ghz - 4gb ram - nvidia 8600 gt 256 mb - sata dvd

regards

hi all

plz help

yes i went from 10.5.3 to 10.5.5 using this great peace of pre and post uograde patchers thanks alot :)

but i don't get the post installation option screen (the one shown in the first post) , also i lost audio after the upgrade ?????

plz help

my system abit ip35 pro - intel p35 chipset - e8400 @ 4,05 ghz - 4gb ram - nvidia 8600 gt 256 mb - sata dvd

regards

Hello!, I have installed the prepare for combo and the apple combo 10.5.5.

Can anyone guide me on what to select for the post combo update patch. I would like to get it right the first time and not brick my system. I dont have a spare partition to test on.

Currently running kaylway 10.5.2 with kernel 9.1.0 vanilla.

Specs:

Intel C2D E4300 @ 3.0GHz

Gigabyte GA- P35-DS3L

2GB pc6400 ram

Nvidia 8600 gt with nvinject.

160GB sata HDD

Help would be greatly appreciated.

I can confirm that this method worked flawlessly for me :)

Will put spec in my sig soon! :) Great job  Mysticus C*!

Everything works amazing so far!

signature updated :)

Good luck guys! This one really did the trick for my rig ;)

Hello!, I have installed the prepare for combo and the apple combo 10.5.5.

Can anyone guide me on what to select for the post combo update patch. I would like to get it right the first time and not brick my system. I dont have a spare partition to test on.

Currently running kaylway 10.5.2 with kernel 9.1.0 vanilla.

Specs:

Intel C2D E4300 @ 3.0GHz

Gigabyte GA- P35-DS3L

2GB pc6400 ram

Nvidia 8600 gt with nvinject.

160GB sata HDD

Help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that you need ICHx chipset, Vanilla 9.5 kernel, if you had no problems with audio, just restore audio, same with network. If you used NVInject or NVKush then select the appropriate from the list with correct memory, if you used GFX Strings, then skip graphics. Uncheck ACPI because Vanilla already got one which is working fine. Smbios could be MacPro.

Oh and also, in BIOS make sure AHCI is enabled, not Enhanced IDE.

That should work.

samykoka: you dont get the options screen because u dont click on the customize button, good luck with the rest if u cant click on a simple customize button...

offx1: if you wanna stay as a noob, it is your choice, if you wanna grow up some balls, and get some experience, you should get used to be getting dirty at times... there is not very easy solution always, thats what called testing!, i placed a nice clone guide, and it works perfectly if u can understand couple of things in there... if u dont have spare partition, it is a good time to start fresh, and create good partitioning scheme with suggestions in post 1 *(bottom of the post1)* and make a good solid system...

that being said (hope u understand that there is no guarantee as it will work perfect on all systems... u want perfect osx with no hassle? get a real mac, u r in wrong place right now)

u can try these settings:

kernel: vanilla 9.5.0 with fix or 9.4.0 stagexnu

chipset: ichx ahci (if u can set sata ports to ahci mode, and jmicron disabled or run in ahci mode as well) else use ichx non ahci

audio: try restore or one of the settings that fits your model

network: restore first? not worked? try marvel...

video: nvkush or nvinject with correct memory

system func: smbios: mac pro, (unselect acpi option if you selected vanilla kernel, else dont touch it)

thats it...

Manca and Mysticus thank you for your help. It worked to perfection w/ no problems at all. Everything seems to work great (sound, video, network). Once again THANK YOU.

@ Mysticus THANKS !!!

I re-launched the post update and was able to get the customize button :rolleyes: , sorry mate ... my mistake

now everything is running cool except for my nvidia 8600 gt which shows in profiler as 7600gt and the is no QE support !! is this a problem that i could solve ?

thank you man ... keep your great work on ...

I have a 10.5.4 system, specs in siggy.. i have downloaded the delta update, will this patch work if i use the delta update instead of the combo update, keeping the other procedure as it is.. ?

it should work, however i highly recommend you to read page 74 ==> post #1478 see his settings... and the way he booted to the system before the update!!!!

-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

also do not choose nforece driver as it may miss your id, also, it is not needed anyway, bcoz nforce ata drivers are not original from apple, therefor they wont be updated! so dont select any chipset driver... rest see from the above mentioned post

@offx1: put your specs in your signature

@samykoka: your gfx may be a result of either wrong choice of nvkush or nvinject or you may need some nvcap values added/changed manually in your nvinject or whatever

ok.. m gonna clone my drive and try that now.. thanks!

sorry to bother, i know that vanilla kernels dont work on the nforce chipsets.. is there a fix that i can use to get the 9.5.0 kernel working, or maybe the voodoo 9.5.0 beta kernel thats out.. what do you think?

there is no such need to have 9.5.0 kernel just because its name is 9.5.0, u can use 9.2.0 just fine, however, i placed 9.5.0 vanilla for compatible systems

9.4.0 should work for almost all i think,

other voodoo stuff are for experimental, since they are alpha/beta stages....

if u like to test things u can try those voodoo, but dont use 9.5.0 because its name is 9.5.0... thats is the most common mistake people are making in this community, they should put a sticky guide about most common problems/misconceptions...

things mature over time, so u have to wait patiently... and this is for everyone, dont FnCK1NG jump on everything that you see latest number on them, read about them first, and ask questions if you have doubts... like everyone keep using vanilla kernels and getting endless restart loops...

there is no such need to have 9.5.0 kernel just because its name is 9.5.0, u can use 9.2.0 just fine, however, i placed 9.5.0 vanilla for compatible systems

9.4.0 should work for almost all i think,

other voodoo stuff are for experimental, since they are alpha/beta stages....

if u like to test things u can try those voodoo, but dont use 9.5.0 because its name is 9.5.0... thats is the most common mistake people are making in this community, they should put a sticky guide about most common problems/misconceptions...

things mature over time, so u have to wait patiently... and this is for everyone, dont FnCK1NG jump on everything that you see latest number on them, read about them first, and ask questions if you have doubts... like everyone keep using vanilla kernels and getting endless restart loops...

Hi mate.

Sometimes, this search for what´s newer, like using 9.5.0 kernel it´s because most people used windows for a very long time and Windows system you can update whenever there´s a update available and most of this people forget that in OSX it´s quite different. :P

[]´s

----------------

One question... it may sound stupid, but I´m in doubt...

If I use 2 sticks of memory of 2Gb each, instead of 1Gb, should I have problems with 64 bits issue or I´ll only face this incompatibility using the 4 slots of my mobo??

Hope to hear from anybody - who knows the answer - soon. :)

[]´s

Thank for the updates man....

Before this I have tried to update my 10.5.2 Kalyway leo with the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo updater with no luck, always stuck on the blue screen, I suspect something wrong with my GMA 950 driver.

I do fresh install from the Kalyway 10.5.2 intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 DVD with these costumization:

kernel: 9.2.0 Vanilla Kernel

Video: GMA 950

Rest is default setting, x-cept I installed Time Machine repair (if I am not mistaken the name)

Work almost all OOTB except input sound and sleep (can put to sleep but wake up almost instantly)

Then I upgraded with your post installation patches with these costumization:

kernel: 9.5.0 Vanilla kernel

Video: GMA 950 for laptop

restore my prev driver for chipset, sound and network

SMbios: Mac Pro

ACPI APIC

USB 2 Controller fix

the installation goes very smooth, everything runs like the 10.5.2 (input sound and sleep still f...up) but its 10.5.5 yay!! :D

But later on I realize that my keyboard and tracker didnt work ;) , tried to reinstall kext for PS2 keyboard and tracker but must buy USB keyboard first....

installation bricked at 29%

system freeze, guess delta update does not work that good.. will try it with combo update soon and will report back ! ;)

it has nothing to do with combo or delta!, did you actually do what i asked you to try?

boot with

-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048

??

or you are just trying to waste people's time here like breakingbad is doing all the time...

@breakingbad: did i mention number of sticks? if u use one stick or three stick it will run on single channel mod, if u use 2 or 4 it will run in dual channel mode... nothing to do with amount of memory! you are again wasting time with your noob questions...

@dragoniz: did you have usb 2 controller issue before? why do you choose usb 2 fix? and ps2 keyb mous trackpad fix was there in options already...

what is really pissing me off here in the topic is people are doing all sort of stupid choices of their own, and come back for help after bricking everytg, and waste people's time for trying to figure out what went wrong, instead of asking before hand to know possible options to choose...

many people are reporting errors because of serious dumbness... u dont know anything? ask for gods sake , most of the time there is no error in the installation, it is the stupid choices people making to brick their system and complain that things dont work...

Tried the latest 1.4

System bricks, screen show gabage & stuck there, but can start in safe mode (maybe driver issue). However, CI is still only suppoted & QE unsupported.

Thank you for the effort Mysticus, i'll just reinstall 5.1 & stick with it. Too much time wasted.

Just for the records of what i did in step 3:

Chose Kernel 9.4.0 XNU, Graphics Just install G900, Just install audio, just install network, SMBios 667

Once again, thank you :) I'll probably get a mac when the new mac book comes out later this month in october.

Cheers!!

i have seen some articles in chinese blog

http://bbs.macgood.com/thread-32956-21-1.html

at the moment the web host is doing some upgrades so i cant access management console to update the link, direct link is in page 72 and post 1424 :)

since i dont know chinese i cant answer your questions there, but i can try to help if one of you tell me your problems in proper format as explained in first post

hardware specs + what is done step by step + last step customization choices?

or just post your hardware specs i ll let you guys know the possible choices that may work...

cheers and bao zhong :)

Follwed the instructions and it booted up fine :] Only problem im having is "About this mac" crashing? eh not a big deal but you know... little things bug people. Anyone have a fix for this? AppleSMBIOS fix? I'll let you know if i find a fix for anyone else having this problem