ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

I've been working on the ati sound, 43701002. So far I've gotten the chip to inizialize, but I haven't gotten past that yet. The driver loads, but doesn't connect to the sound. I"ve been modifying the AMDCS5 something driver that comes in the 10.4.3 sources, AppleAC97Sound. If you want I can post the source code that i've gotten so far, but I can't guarantee that it is correct. I am still learning what all the code does. I've been doing this by comparing the methods in the bsd driver to the mac os x driver. Hopefully I can get farther today.

would be great if you could fix it..

have the same audio hardware here... tried almost everything, but

audio is the last thing not working at all on my acer aspire 5012

thx...

d.

specs:

acer aspire 5012 laptop

AMD64 3000+

ATI Mobility x700 (working although some mouse tearing)

ATI SB400 AC97 Audio (not working yet)

Bluetooth, LAN (working) - Wireless not tried yet.

running OSX 10.4.5 (myzo prepatched dvd)

and WinXP (w/ bootitNG as bootmanager - recommended!)

So far:

Chip Init, it reads the 3 codecs but only attaches one. driver still crashes the System Preferences -> sound page. I think the problem is in the codec attachment. I am working through that problem right now. Hopefully once that's done I'll be able to have sound, not sure though.

As far as a website, I can have a page up next week, once I get back to school.

If anyone else has experience with C++ and Mac OS driver development pleae let me know if there's anyway you can help.

So far:

Chip Init, it reads the 3 codecs but only attaches one. driver still crashes the System Preferences -> sound page. I think the problem is in the codec attachment. I am working through that problem right now. Hopefully once that's done I'll be able to have sound, not sure though.

As far as a website, I can have a page up next week, once I get back to school.

If anyone else has experience with C++ and Mac OS driver development pleae let me know if there's anyway you can help.

I had started to develop one too but I had to quit because I was too busy. Which Codec are you using?

Is is the Realtek ACL250? Mine is. I have device ID 4370 also.

My problem was getting the Audio Engine streams working.

This is a good read:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/D..._section_1.html

This is certainly a fun project with learning possibilities.

I've too have got an ATI ac97 in my ferrari 4000.

I do hope that a driver for this will be ready soon.

keep up the good work!

my hardware here:

Audio Controller = "ATI(4370)"

ac97 codec Realtec = "ALC655"

would be great if this one would be supported...

keep up the good work...

(since i don´t have any coding skills I unfortunately can´t help with this one)

thanx alot and greetz from tel aviv...

d.

Brandon... That kext has been around since november, lots of people have tried it... I've tried it.... unfortunately the ati ac97 is different enough that it doesn't work for us. That's why Mr. EdFlyer here is working so hard trying to build one.

Im using the AC97Audio Framework in an attempt to get the audio to load, but the process is slow, as this is the first non-education (done in school for class) c++ project I've worked on. I just got back at college, so the development will slow down once school work picks up. I'll have a website up soon, so hopefully there can be more information sharing there. Out of curiosity, can anyone find a page with information about the sb400, like its registers and stuff; a technical document from ati. Any and all information I have will be useful in this endeavor.