Older Mac Users: Does The Little Cats Still Roar?

7 posts in this topic

With all the talk of Mac OS X 10.5.3 (Leopard), it makes me wonder who's still living in the past with their Mac that "just works." Post your screenshots of 10.4, 10.3, 10.2, etc. Anybody still using an older version of Mac OS X speak out about your battle wounds, bug fixes, and reliablity!

I see a lot of people still on Tiger. What's the deal? :unsure:

maybe they dont know how to upgrade to leopard without wiping all their data off of the ol' hard drive?

Or maybe I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to Leopard. I'm going to get a real Mac to replace my hackintosh shortly, and that will come with Leopard.

I see a lot of people still on Tiger. What's the deal?

I really don't like Leo very much. Lots more bloat and memory usage for not very much more benefit. There has also been a Microsoft-like approach to moving and changing things for the sake of it. Have played with Leo on other Macs here at the office and hated it. I had Tiger on my Sony Vaio HackBook, ended up buying a real MacBook, and have stayed with Tiger on that too. I guess I'm just comfortable with it.

I will probably end up going Panther soon though, when I get an MSI Wind. That will replace my MacBook, in lieu of Apple actually producing a genuinely portable machine (making a machine 1mm thick doesn't make it portable when the rest of the dimensions are exactly the same as my MacBook). As I'll be going back from RealMac to Hack, and there seems to me more community support for Leo out there, it probably makes sense to make the jump at that point.

Or Apple could see sense and release a proper subnotebook as opposed to a complete and total gimmick, and I wouldn't need OSX86!

I didn't feel I liked Leopard until I got it. It is the fastest OS I have ever used, much more so than Tiger and Panther. I loved the new features - Time Machine is invaluable, Quick Look is very helpful, and Spaces is much more powerful and well thought out than Virtuedesktop, a merely adequate reproduction. Stacks are great too. The eye candy is take it or leave it, I like it personally, but I use many of its new features every day, and that's what I like most about it.

I dual boot Panther and Leopard (grumble pro tools grumble is incompatible with ANY VERSION above 10.3.9, and newer versions of PT support ONLY 10.5.1, ONLY HD hardware, ONLY mac pros) on my G5, and my G4 iMac uses Tiger. I see the appeal of the simpler interface but honestly that's easily doable on Leopard: no translucent menubar and 2D dock (reciting from memory, may be wrong, sudo defaults write com.apple.dock.plist no-glass boolean YES). Uses much less memory, needs less graphics power.