How do I set Darwine-based apps as Mac defaults?

5 posts in this topic

I want my Mac to launch Picasa2.exe when I connect my digital camera.

I tried using 'Get Info' route and the 'RCDefaultApps' utility but neither work with wine-mediated apps. I seem to need to invoke winehelper.app and pass picasa2.exe as an argument or something but don't know how to do this. I can't find any info on darwine used this way.

Can it be done? Maybe wrapped in a script?

I was shunted to this as THE forum for help with the Darwine project.

Is there no-one who knows how to use Darwine facilities to associate darwine-mediated programs with anything other than an icon, such as, in this case, launching it on connection with a digital camera?

Can no-one point me to the syntax for a script/CL to help this happen?

Is there no-one knowledgable enough to say with some authority that this is not possible?

Can anyone indicate what forum would be more likely to be populated with Darwine-savvy folk?

• 1 month later...

So, can no-one even tell me if this is possible?

Some people, especially 'crossers-over' must surely need to conveniently launch Darwine-mediated progs using the usual Mac facilities e.g. Dock.

Go on, you've done it (or even failed trying) so tell us what we can try/expect!

Your Best bet is to try to invoke picasa via an automator script, since it is an entirely different api (windows exe vs a mac .app), its a little bit more difficult then just setting iphoto to be invoked when the camera is plugged in, in any case give automator a try, it might take some work, but if ur determined u should get it to run, darwine is a very basic, not so user friendly program, give crossover a try because i think it gives you an option to form .app files out of the exe's, dont quote me on that though.

Your Best bet is to try to invoke picasa via an automator script,

Sycx89, indeed I will. I am happy to learn automator scripting for this.

I thought I had posted a reply to your advice yesterday but seem to have been mistaken. Better late, etc...