buying new laptop, need help asap

8 posts in this topic

I need to buy a laptop within the next week or so and I have a budget of around $1000. My budget pretty much puts macs out of the question so a pc laptop with have to do. Can anyone recommend a nice laptop with good battery life and a 15' or bigger screen. I was told I need a duo core processer and at least 2gig of ram. Are they any other things I should have in a laptop for graphic design? (I will be using photoshop,illustrator,indesign, no 3d rendering softwear.)

Discount Dental Insurance Plans raise capital

Try to stay clear of the HP DV series. I had one and my sister currently has one. I had mine for a year and a half and she has had hers for almost two years and we have had a lot of hardware issues with them. Look into Dells, Toshiba, ect.

My recommendation to you would be to look for a used or refurbished Macbook. Apple has very affordable refurbs on their website. If you can't find them, PM me.

Using design apps? Go for a Tablet PC.

Right now, there are some rebates at Gateway's website.

I got the CX2724 *$1499 a year and a half ago and it is still really cool.

I think you can get a Dell or a Gateway tablet for $1000.

OK here is my honest opinion, I wouldn't get a Dell laptop, only because I have never had a good experience with them, and they have a HIGH return rate to stores such as Best Buy, and other Dell approved electronics stores. Don't know much about the Lenovo, although I don't see them returned too much. You say you have 1000$ I know that you may need this laptop now, but if you want the ultimate in GFX capabilities, i would get a Macbook, the new ones are Really good, and the same prices as older version, 1200$ for a 2.4 GHz white 2 GB Macbook, and if you are a student you get a 100$ off, SO i would either save up the extra couple hundred bucks OR borrow money from some one.

-Robbie