Virtualizing an already installed OSX under Linux

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm a bit off-topic but I'm sure some of you can help me.

I own an Intel Apple computer (don't you?;) and got Debian and MacOS 10.4 installed in multi-boot with refit.

My dream would be to virtualize my installed OSX with Linux as host, but I can't find information on how to do this, or even if it is possible. Can someone with a good theorical knowledge on this question explain me if VMWare running under Linux on a Mac is able to use an OSX system already installed on the same Mac ?

Thanks !

Thanks Embio !! This is THE work I was looking for, with great advantage to be free software, and best of all : IT WORKS FOR ME !!

I struggled too, but during my struggle Alex Graf had the great idea to make an update, and everything went simpler. I applied his new patch on kvm-snapshot-20080531, run 2.6.24.7 kernel, and I can now launch my installed MacOS 10.4 in 1024x768 - millions colors.

I just have to fix network now, should be easy. Sound isn't working but I don't need it. And it's really fast.

If you want to go back on struggle I'll be glad to help you ;)

I just have to fix network now, should be easy.
Hum, it was harder than virtualizing my installed OSX.

I took loooong time to understand that the AppleRTL8139ethernet.kext provided with 10.4.11 wouldn't load, and that I must use this NIC from qemu.

Finally I found a new one on this forum, and got network up !

With the first OSX86 installations I could virtualize OSX with VMWare for Windows, OSX was installed nativelly on a second disk. I never tried to ran from VMware for Linux.

Then the new versions of OSX came, from 10.4.5 or .6 differences between native and virtualized increased to a point that I can no loger run my native OS X with VMware, so I kept a 10.4.3 installation on a virtualized disk (VMDK) that I use up today with VMware for Windows, VMWare for Linux, and VMware Fusion, as my XP and Win98 virtual machines also.