Nforce 790i Motherboard

27 posts in this topic

There are plenty of guides for the Nvidia chipsets but none specifically for the 790i. I want to figure out how to boot with the 790i myself and then create a tutorial for others with the 790i (or 780i since its the same exept with ddr2). I can install with Kalyway 10.5.2, Atkos v1.0i R3, and Atkos v2.0i but I can't boot with any of them even with including the CPUS=1 command. I've followed Mysticus C's Nforce guide (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87901) but I keep getting various errors such as Failed to load OS, flashing curser, etc which I assume are problems with my bootloader. Well, I got past those and finally got OS X to start loading off the harddrive (instead of loading the installer off the CD like it usually does) but I couldn't put in the CPUS=1 command because I booted with the cd in to get into darwin to then load the harddrive and then I get an error after it's done with the loading screen that says I must restart by holding down the power button. I've tried installing on a separate IDE harddrive, a second partition on my 1 TB drive, and a usb harddrive (iPod 20 gig in disk mode). I have a 900 gb partition with Vista 32 bit and I made a 30 gb partition for OS X both on the same harddrive, that would be my ideal setup. If anyone can shed any light please do, once I figure this out I'll be glad to write up a detailed tutorial for Nforce 7 chipset tutorial since most around are still geared towards the 6 series. Is this just a simple problem with my bootloader set up or is it something more in depth?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat I just screwed my perfect install on Asus Formula intel based MB cause I bought the Striker II Extreme with 790i. I also have screwed my Vista install which is unusual enough in itself, but I can go fresh there.

I'm annoyed to have upgraded myself out of a near flawless install I had up till now, all cause my memory died last week and decided to upgrade!

Hope things catch up soon, but sounds like I'm again back in osx hiatus for the time being. Perhaps time to install on my upcoming m1330 laptop in the meantime!

I'm working perfectly on my Striker II Extreme (790i) using iAtkos v 2.0i; during installation check only nforce kernel with efi and nforce sata driver. Also DDR3 ram and all 4 cores (qx9650) work. I'm using MBR partition.

Edit:

Remember that at installation boot you must press F8 and write "nforce -v"

I'm working perfectly on my Striker II Extreme (790i) using iAtkos v 2.0i; during installation check only nforce kernel with efi and nforce sata driver. Also DDR3 ram and all 4 cores (qx9650) work. I'm using MBR partition.

Edit:

Remember that at installation boot you must press F8 and write "nforce -v"

Great info, I have not tried booting with nforce -v I'm going to give that a go right now. Are you dual booting with vista? If so is it from the same harddrive? IDE or SATA? I've got a 30 gig partition free on my 1 tb drive that has a 900 gig vista partiton. I'll try using MBR too. I'll reply with my results

EDIT:

I tried it and unfortunately it did not work for me. I tried EFI and MBR, when I try booting from the harddrive it displays "Nvidia boot agent" and looks like it starting a network boot. I then disabled the 2 NICs on my board and then it displayed an error before darwin would boot saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I also tried booting with the install disk in letting it time out and then it said "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found" . I'm using an IDE hd, would using a sata hd possibly solve this? or would it be possible to install Leopard on the 30 gig partition I have free on my 1 tb Vista harddrive through an MBR set up? or is buying a second sata drive my best option?

2nd EDIT:

I bought a sata drive and I'm having the same problem, I can't get past the NVIDIA boot agent. Anyone know how to fix this? A problem with the bootloader mabye? It seems like it skips right over the harddrive doesnt see it as bootable. Any bios setting I could adjust? I tried disabling the NIC's

3rd Edit:

Installs and works fine with kalyway 10.5.2 dvd with no darwin commands other than -v and just the nvidia kernel and sata driver selected at install, but now I'm having a problem installing the 10.5.3 update but thats another story. I'm just glad to have it up and running in 10.5.2

Well Iatkos 2.0 and booting with nforce kernel still left me with the old chestnut of an issue from a motherboard I had last year that I thought I put behind me with my previous motherboard...'still waiting for root device'. I don't know, obviously there's a driver issue there as well now...

Alex99, I'm not sure why I'm getting this issue on the Striker II extreme and you are not. I am running totally in SATA, 3 HDs and 1 DVD-R. There is no AHCI option on these boards other than raid, which I'm thinking about moving to now I've got Vista back up.

By external, you mean install to and external USB HD yeah? I used to do that with my Dell laptops and some PC configs in the past. With that said, that won't get you past a complete lack of install disc boot up anyway. So I'm somewhat surprised you got the install disc to boot. This whole sata scenario annoys the {censored} out of me I went from a perfect SATA AHCI install, changed MBs to from INTEL chipset to NVIDIA and I'm back where I was with my last NVIDIA MB, it {censored} me.

I mean install it on your sata hd drive using an external usb dvd drive.

Personally I didn't change anything in bios, so using medevil kext you should get your sata hd

drive working. 

I mean install it on your sata hd drive using an external usb dvd drive.

Personally I didn't change anything in bios, so using medevil kext you should get your sata hd

drive working.

Ok now that could make the diff. Mind you I doubt it the DVD drive itself as I doubt I could have gotten to the boot up on the DVD if it was the DVD drive. Probably more like the medevel kext and the SATA HD. I hate stuffing around with extra kexts at darwin level, but I'll give it a shot over the weekend..thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I am able to install kalyway 10.5.2. on an Evga 780i board with nforce kernel and boot into it, but I got kernel panic when I install gfx string for my 9800gtx and my lan doesn't work...

I tried with iAtkos2.0i with the "nforce -v" boot flag, and get "still waiting for root device...HD and OD are SATA. Any ideas?

I can get through with Leo4AllV3 with -v cpus=1 and maxmem=2048, on booting not install I have to use these flags as well, any ideas on how to get my system so I shouldn't have to use the flags? Im dling Kaly 10.5.2 so Ill give that a go here shortly.

I'm giving up on 780i, it's too unstable no matter if I boot with single core / dual core / 2gb ram or not. Yes sure everything seems to be working, but system will randomly freeze up time to time especially when moving large chunk of files (happened even on a ~300mb files). I am sure it will crash even more often when I use my CS3 apps... this is hopeless.

Something makes me think the 780i and 790i are different more than just DDR3, I dont understand how you can get people to be able to boot on them no flags, all 4 cores working, yet mine just crashes non-stop. BTW I tried Kaly 10.5.2, and I get still waiting for root device error again.

This in from EVGA forum http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search (talking about osx on EVGA 780i)

"I managed to install it and get it running though I have not installed drivers for much of anything yet. Get your hands on an iAtkos V2.0i disk (torrents, usenet, etc.). Make sure you disconnect all hard drives besides the one you are installing to. Boot from the OSX disk and hit f8 when you are prompted to and type "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048" without the quotes. After all of the text stops scrolling by and you get to the installer, go to utilities up at the top and find the disk utility. Select your hard drive, click on the parition tab, and select 1 partition. Before applying your new partition scheme go to options and select GUID instead of MBR. Once your drive is ready, exit out of the disk utility. Continue until you see the customize button in the installation window. It is very important that you only check 2 extra things in the customizer. Find "nforce efi" and check that (make sure you do not check "nforce non efi" or "nforce non efi sse2 sse3"). Also find "nforce sata" and check that. If you check anything else, or fail to check those two, your install with likely fail. Now continue with the installation. After installing and restarting, make sure you are booting from the harddrive and click f8 again. This time type "-x -v -m -f cpus=1" without the quotes. Now you just have to find some good drivers for your video card, network card, etc. HAVE FUN!!!"

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok i need help.4 days working non stop on a evga 790i sli using ipc 10.5.6..i can get everything to work but my linksys wmp110 wireless pci card i pulled from another hackintosh i had.it worked before but now it freezes my os.any time i go to my network settings it crashes or just at any random time if i dont.i tried all the fixes so i'm asking if snyone has a pci slot problem? and yes i reinstalled with that fix too.lol

Hmm, actually that makes sense for my probiems. I have a 780i mobo. I installed a realtek pci ethernet card, and i did get it to install, and internet works. but then the osx becomes unstable and crashes sometimes before i can even get the safari to load. Now 90% of the times i install the ideneb, the installer freezes at the final reboot, and upon manual restart, it doesnt boot to the osx, it freezes during the ethernet address. I will try to remove the card and install ideneb and see if it makes a diffference.

quick update, i tried iatkos disk (was using ideneb)(tied all kernels).iatkos would crash after i downloaded firefox.a kernel error(plus it had some others too).ideneb would just freeze....only if i had my pci wireless card in,and turned on.i tried with the cpus=1 on both but did not work.i'm begining to think it may be a kernel error having something to do with the pci slot.i have no clue i'm not a big mac guy so i'm lost.i'm thinking of trying the new voodoo beta2 kernel out or even just installing like "bomberboysk" on the link ( its about 5 down) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...901&st=1940

i will follow your guide and report back next week....i had something similar ,my gigabyte board would freeze if i downloaded.i finally found the time and tried a different os (idened) and now it works perfect.i think it was a kernel problem but again "not a mac guy" so it could have been the ata.

• 4 months later...

snow leopard 10.6.2 from hazard works with every thing on my xfx 790i even dvd drive

i hooked it up to the red esata connector next to the processor . dvd atapi only works on jmicron not the standard sata

did anyone get the onboard lan to work?

it should work on snow leopard from hazard