Dual Boot Mac OS X (in GUID partition HDD) - Windows XP

14 posts in this topic

I heard and read a lot of posts and opinions that make me almost give up of get dual boot Mac OS X and Windows XP with two HDD, each one in different file system. The last site that i read says to copy boot0 file to c: of Windows and add a line in boot.ini like this: c:\boot0=Mac OS (the name dont matter) and edit the time out. Well, i do it, but, one more time, it dont work. One more look at i386 folder and, there was what im really looking for, boot0.gpt. Here is the guide, just use boot0.gpt file instead boot0 file.

http://www.infinitemac.com/how-to-add-a-gu...ows-bootloader/

Thanks for the guide, but change the file name, please.

I checked the instructions as shown on that site, but I don't have a boot0, or a boot0.gpt file. What I have is a boot.efi file I checked that I have a guid install.

The only way I can get Leo to work is to go into bios, switch startup drives and boot from there. Darwin comes up and gives me the option to boot to win, or leopard. If I chose win, I get a "no system disk" error, (as is to be expected as XP is on the primary IDE drive, and Leo is on the secondary IDE drive) Using TransMac, I was able to copy that file to XP' C: drive, but I don't think it will work with the C:\boot0=Mac OS command.

The only other issues I have are with the sound, of course, still working on that, and the video, working on that also. One other weird problem is intermittent keyboard. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. ;)

Any thoughts?

I checked the instructions as shown on that site, but I don't have a boot0, or a boot0.gpt file. What I have is a boot.efi file I checked that I have a guid install.

The only way I can get Leo to work is to go into bios, switch startup drives and boot from there. Darwin comes up and gives me the option to boot to win, or leopard. If I chose win, I get a "no system disk" error, (as is to be expected as XP is on the primary IDE drive, and Leo is on the secondary IDE drive) Using TransMac, I was able to copy that file to XP' C: drive, but I don't think it will work with the C:\boot0=Mac OS command.

The only other issues I have are with the sound, of course, still working on that, and the video, working on that also. One other weird problem is intermittent keyboard. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. :blink:

Any thoughts?

Try to copy this boot.efi file to C: and add a line to boot.ini of XP like this: C:\boot.efi=Mac OS (Mac OS is just a label, you can put the name that you want). Ah, and this file is located in /usr/standalone/i386? its needed. Im not sure this file will works like boot.gpt, but you can try this. The files that you have in /usr/standalone/i386 depends what version of efi you are using.

If you have AC97Audio you can try this:

AC97Audio.zip

or this:

AC97Audio.zip

What is your video card?

Thanks, Wppley, I'll try that. Nothing to lose except X. ;) And the time needed to reformat, reinstall, dowload the other 2 distros, etc, etc. :D

The vid card is a Diamond ATI HD2600 Pro 512. (Suppose I should add that into my specs?) Hehe.

As far as the sound goes, all I could find is it's a Realtek, but I have no idea what codecs it uses, Xp doesn't specify, just says Realtek HD. :) I can try the AC97 kexts though. Again nothing to lose. I'll grab them when I get back on the mac.

Edit.

Well, so much for that plan. :P When I rebooted, I did get the choice screen, however, when I choose OSX, all I get is a black screen with the cursor blinking in the upper left corner. I wonder if that is because I have OSX set up on a second drive that is set to slave? If so, once I get the SATA drive installed, I'll try it again with the "X" drive set to master. In the mean time, switching startup drives works.

Thanks, Wppley, I'll try that. Nothing to lose except X. ;) And the time needed to reformat, reinstall, dowload the other 2 distros, etc, etc. :D

The vid card is a Diamond ATI HD2600 Pro 512. (Suppose I should add that into my specs?) Hehe.

As far as the sound goes, all I could find is it's a Realtek, but I have no idea what codecs it uses, Xp doesn't specify, just says Realtek HD. :( I can try the AC97 kexts though. Again nothing to lose. I'll grab them when I get back on the mac.

Edit.

Well, so much for that plan. :P When I rebooted, I did get the choice screen, however, when I choose OSX, all I get is a black screen with the cursor blinking in the upper left corner. I wonder if that is because I have OSX set up on a second drive that is set to slave? If so, once I get the SATA drive installed, I'll try it again with the "X" drive set to master. In the mean time, switching startup drives works.

I guess now i have the answer for dual boot. If you have in your folder i386 another folder called guid, try to copy the boot0 file that is in this guid folder to C:, then add the line in boot.ini: C:\boot0=Mac OS X and reboot.

If it not work, move the file boot0 of your i386 folder to desktop then move the boot0 file that you have in your guid folder to i386 folder and reboot again.

Again im not sure it will work, but is a good experience, no? ;)

No other folders in i386, and the only other folder in the standalone folder is ppc.

The only files in the i386 folder are boot.efi and Firmware.scap

I got Kalyway 10.5.2 last night, so I'm thinking I may reformat and give it a go. I wonder if I should try reformatting to MBR instead of guid?

No other folders in i386, and the only other folder in the standalone folder is ppc.

The only files in the i386 folder are boot.efi and Firmware.scap

I got Kalyway 10.5.2 last night, so I'm thinking I may reformat and give it a go. I wonder if I should try reformatting to MBR instead of guid?

Well, if you want to give up i cant condemn you for this, but if are going to a fresh install, i think you can try put this file on your i386 folder and copy it to C: too, then put the line: C:\boot0.gpt=Mac OS X.

If you will try this, good luck. If not, good luck with your new install. :)

boot0.gpt.zip

Not ready to quit yet, lol. Just got the video working right, now to get the sound working and I'll be happier than a pig in a poke. I'll try using the boot0.gpt file and see what happens. What can go wrong, eh?

I tried both those ac97 kexts , but neither one works. :( All I can find about the sound is it's Realtek HD, no specific model #. I'll keep trying some others. I might get lucky. ;)

I have found that I can get the keyboard to work after reboot with -f, but still sporadic. :)

@Wppley, thanks for making this post. I have XP installed on one drive and OS X on a second drive, and I've been searching without luck for a way to dual boot them (other than using the BIOS) for weeks now. Your method worked perfectly!

@Ayce, the files you're looking for may be on the Leopard installation DVD, not your hard drive. Put your Leopard DVD into your Mac and go to usr/standalone/i386/guid and you should see the boot0 file. In my case, there was a file called boot0.guid, but it's possible that this is really just the usr/standalone/i386/guid/boot0 file that someone renamed to "boot0.guid" to make it clear which boot0 it was, since there's also a different boot0 file in usr/standalone/i386.

Anyway, just wanted to say that this method totally works if you have OS X installed on a separate hard drive from XP, and are using the GUID partition scheme instead of MBR.

@Wppley, thanks for making this post. I have XP installed on one drive and OS X on a second drive, and I've been searching without luck for a way to dual boot them (other than using the BIOS) for weeks now. Your method worked perfectly!

@Ayce, the files you're looking for may be on the Leopard installation DVD, not your hard drive. Put your Leopard DVD into your Mac and go to usr/standalone/i386/guid and you should see the boot0 file. In my case, there was a file called boot0.guid, but it's possible that this is really just the usr/standalone/i386/guid/boot0 file that someone renamed to "boot0.guid" to make it clear which boot0 it was, since there's also a different boot0 file in usr/standalone/i386.

Anyway, just wanted to say that this method totally works if you have OS X installed on a separate hard drive from XP, and are using the GUID partition scheme instead of MBR.

smirk, its not my method, i just found it and get the detail of variable name of boot file, but thank you for the nice reply.

Im really glad to know it help you. :P

Thanks for that info, smirk. I'll check that out. the boot0.gpt file I got from wppley didn't work, (thanks anyway), still have to go to bios and switch manualy. Leopard shows up in the boot options, but won't do anything. I get a system error. Oh well. :P

I did get the sound working btw. Only the front speakers work, but that's all I need atm anyway. :)

P.S. When/if I find that guid file, should I just copy it whole to the i386 folder, or strip off the .guid? And when I copy it to my xp drive, should I do the same? Thx.

P.S. When/if I find that guid file, should I just copy it whole to the i386 folder, or strip off the .guid? And when I copy it to my xp drive, should I do the same? Thx.

Well, I don't really understand how all this works technically, to be honest. For my setup, all I did was pull the usr/standalone/i386/guid/boot0.guid file off of the installation DVD and drop it into the root of my Windows XP hard drive. The name of the file shouldn't matter because in boot.ini (in Windows) you put a reference to that file. So if your file is called "boot0" then in C:\boot.ini you put "C:\boot0=OSX". If the file is called ILIKEGOATS then in boot.ini you'd put "C:\ILIKEGOATS=OSX", right?

I don't have an official Leopard DVD on hand at the moment, but my guess is that the file is actually called "boot0" and is inside of the usr/standalone/i386/guid directory on the DVD. So look for this file and copy it into C:\ on your Windows drive and then add that line to boot.ini (also on the Windows drive) and that should be all you have to do. I didn't have to touch anything on my Leopard drive at all for this to work.

Give that a try and let us know how it worked out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...